Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

The_Universal_Sigh

• 1 month later...

Tremendous album. It didn't impress me much on first listen but it is a pretty subtle and low key album. The "problem" with the Pumpkins is that their defining albums (Siamese and Mellon Collie) were both such in your face, bombastic albums you have a certain expectations. I think Adore and Machina I & II were tremendous albums now, but they were not nearly as accessible or easily likeable as their defining albums. I liked Zeitgeist when it came out and still like some songs (Doomsday Clock, That's The Way My Love Is, Bring The Light, title track) but it hasn't held up well

This album is sort of like Adore, but guitar driven for the most part. I am still waiting for the day that Billy comes back with an album that has massive guitars and 30-40 guitar overdubs on certain tracks, but this is a beautiful album, definitely resonates emotionally

Overall, I like Oceania - It's a nice change of pace after the constant heaviness and whacked out production of Zeitgeist (and, in a different sense, Machina).

Leading off with Quasar and Panopticon was a great choice, as both are aggressive but with cool unexpected flourishes. I loved the little guitar "squelches" in Quasar and shriek above the chaos, the production there is just perfect.

Anyway, lots of cool stuff on this album. It doesn't come close to the magic of Siamese / Mellon Collie / Adore, but on it's own terms, I think Oceania's definitely worthy of the SP name. The only question will be how the Teargarden project goes from here - Darker? Lighter? The closing track, Wildflower, suggests a more somber direction going forward, which I think would be neat, because overall Oceania's songs are fairly exuberant.

Only got as far as the first song on the album, which I repeated, some excellent soloing going on in this song.

Can anyone help me with I think it's a Billy Corgan solo song (if they exist)? which was posted up here (it was a link to a magazine article with an album review of something and could stream one song from it). It had a mind blowing solo in it. Was from a couple of years ago. Would love to hear that song again.

Only got as far as the first song on the album, which I repeated, some excellent soloing going on in this song.

Can anyone help me with I think it's a Billy Corgan solo song (if they exist)? which was posted up here (it was a link to a magazine article with an album review of something and could stream one song from it). It had a mind blowing solo in it. Was from a couple of years ago. Would love to hear that song again.

I couldn't tell you the song, but you might be thinking of the band he had before the SP comeback, Zwan. His solo album was pretty much all electronic.