Lets say a new album came out

blake-a-mania

Ideally, I'd argue that they should drop CD songs that they've been playing since 2001. That would mean CD, Street of Dreams, and Madagascar should probably take a breather. Maybe dust one off once in awhile (preferably Madagascar)

Might also be time to let go of either Live and Let Die and/or Knockin' On Heaven's Door. My preference would be for them to only play one a night and perhaps alternate, especially if they're playing a venue more than one night. If they were to drop one all together, my vote would be on Live and Let Die. The only thing it's got going for it is the pyro. KOHD seems more associated with GNR than LALD as GNR really made that song their own. Coupled with the crowd participation that people seem to enjoy it makes it the logical choice to keep in the set if they were going to drop a UYI cover.

I think they keep Better and maybe Shackler's Revenge. Would be great if they went with Better, Shackler's and something else that they don't play very often like Catcher in the Rye. I think Sorry has to go as it always seems to get the least response from the audience. If they're going to keep songs from CD, I'd be happy with Better, Shackler's and This I Love.

With regard to AFD, think you got to keep Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child, Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy. Think the rest you could do without with possible exception of playing Rocket Queen every now and then.

Cut out the AC/DC covers. They're great, but they're starting to get a little stale in my opinion (and this isn't based on sitting at home watching youtube videos, this is based on the 14 concerts I've seen since 2002).

Guess if I had to design a Setlist categorized by albums, it would go like this:

AFD:

Jungle, It's So Easy, Brownstone, Paradise City, Sweet Child

Lies:

Patience

UYI:

Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, Don't Cry, Knockin' On Heaven's Door

CD:

Shackler's Revenge, Better, This I Love

New Album:

New Song #1, New Song #2, New Song #3, New Song #4

That's 19 songs. Add in solos and two new covers and I think you've got a set that makes everyone happy. Plus gives them some flexibility to switch in some songs that they use to play, like Madagascar or You Could Be Mine (should be dropped as it would give Axl a break vocally and I think we've heard it enough).

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think it would do any harm to play some new tracks live

It could do a lot of harm, for reasons that have been covered several times. No way for any of us to know if it would do harm or not, but the people who seem certain it wouldn't do any harm probably do not understand many of the ramifications.

Couldn't be as damaging as those leakers right MSL?

Perhaps this discussion may be a little easier with a little organization. Each of GNR's three main albums have had 7 staples in the set lately:

JUNGLE / IT'S SO EASY / BROWNSTONE / ROCKET QUEEN / SCOM / NIGHTRAIN / PARADISE

LALD / ESTRANGED / YCBM / NOVEMBER RAIN / DON'T CRY / CIVIL WAR / KNOCKIN'

CHINESE / SORRY / SHACKLER'S / THIS I LOVE / BETTER / STREET OF DREAMS / MADDY

So, assuming this mysterious new album would have 7 songs played from it, what 7 songs from the 21 listed above would you remove to make room for the 7 new songs?

It's So Easy/LALD/KOHD/Chinese/Sorry/Don't Cry/Maddy also in a perfect world bring back Don't Cry and lose Bumblefoot's new solo.

Edited by Dazey

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It’s So Easy New Song

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry New Song

Rocket Queen

Estranged

Shackler’s Revenge New Song

Live and Let Die

This I Love New Song

Better

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

Sweet Child O’ Mine

November Rain

Don’t Cry

Civil War New Song

Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door

Nightrain

Madagascar New Song

Whole Lotta Rosie New Cover

Patience

Paradise City

Not in that order, but I'd say that's a pretty reasonable guess as to what we could expect. I think we'd only have a shot of keeping CD, Better and Street of Dreams as regulars from Chinese Democracy, with odd shows getting an extra song or two from that record. This also fits with the general premise of playing around half of the new record, presuming it's more than 10 songs but not a double album or something. This isn't necessarily what I would like to see, that'd look somewhat different, but what I think could be possible.

It all depends of course on whether Axl is content with removing the bulk of the old material to complete a larger transition from old material to new, or if he still wants to play the old stuff that fans want to hear. I think Axl likes playing the old stuff and he knows that whether people like CD or not, the 80s/90s material is what draws the majority of people to the shows. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a 1/3 old, 1/3 cd, 1/3 new set, but realistically I think the balance is always more likely to be 1/2 old, 1/4 CD, 1/4 new.

Edited by KetchupNotMayo

I am trying to figure out though what it would take to stop the majority on here from whining all the time

NOTHING.

There is absolutely NOTHING that would stop the majority on here from whining all the time.

The majority on here are bitter ex-fans who would strongly prefer that GNR cease to exist.

They have other issues in their life that cause them to need some sort of emotional release for all of their negative energy and GNR is their target because they used to love GNR and now they don't.

It's like someone that spends years bitching about their ex-girlfriend rather than finding a new girlfriend.

Even though we don't really see eye to eye, i can admit you're a smart guy, but you're not that good on psychology...

Let me explain why... you say everyone that comes here, has issues with their life and needs GNR to get on with it and blast everything they have negative in it here, so they can get on with their day.

If you go back a few years... even though it's true that we have some fans that never accepted the fact that Axl and the rest of the band fell apart and that Axl continued with Guns N'Roses, BUT, and this is a big BUT...you also know in your heart that most of the today's "enraged" fans, came post the Chinese Democracy release, which essentially:

1. Didn't meet some fans expectations

2. Wasn't promoted properly

3. Was completely disregarded by Axl and the fans consequently felt that we didn't have CD in stores because Axl really wanted it to happen, but because there were a lot of songs already out there (which some of them were a consequence of your actions (Thank You!) )

4. Axl went on a hiatus right after the release and probably not even his dog knew where he was...right at the very moment when people needed Axl to be there, to speak up, to promote his stuff... to tour. (He did that years later, but that was too late as always).

Suddently the 50 fans you had that were against anything Axl was doing even before the new album came out... became 1000.

Nobody can blame that on the fans...the fans were there waiting for Axl to patiently come out of his cave...

You can't really blame Axl either...he doesn't really need to be ethical or professional, "he's a rock n'roll outlaw" in his own words...and he's filthy rich.. so he can just afford not to give a shit...

But why should fans be the ones to blame, for his pathetic actions as well?

Fans have all the right to be mad with all Axl actions, maybe they shouldn't care so much... and with that i agree...but they have all the rights to be mad at the situation, even though Axl doesn't owe anyone a dime. The professionalism he owes it to himself though... and he's not the most professional musician i came across....

Edited by andrecorreia11

Okay, so with all of the setlist complaints going around at the minute and people talking about CD2 etc, it got me thinking.

If CD2 came out, and featured songs like

Jacky Chan

Soul Monster

Blood In The Water

etc

Lets say 14 songs for arguments sake.

what songs should be dropped from the current setlist? Jungle? Rocket Queen? Sorry?

Guns n Roses is already going out there and playing probably the biggest rock show night after night with 33/34 songs being played, so what do you think?

Just drop all the solo's, band jams and cover's and you have enough time to play a whole album's worth of new material

Not necessarily the songs I would want dropped- but I think likely "casualties" would be:

1. Don't Cry;

2. Estranged;

3. Civil War;

4. Shackler's Revenge;

5. This I Love; and

6. 1 of the ACDC covers (preferably "Riff Raff")

The Illusions songs on the list and "This I Love" are songs that Axl more or less had to be talked into playing and in one case even releasing (TIL). "Shackler's" is amazing live IMHO- but does not rise to the level of "untouchable". I suppose "Sorry" could be dropped- but I doubt it as it seems to be both a breather AND an emotional release for Axl. Meanwhile- SOD is built into Dizzy's solo spot- so could be tricky to drop. At any rate that would probably make room for about 5-6 songs from the follow-up (depending on duration and difficulty).

I think the "Appetite 7" (WTTJ, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, PC, SCOM and RQ) as well as "Patience", "LALD", "NR", "KOHD" and "YCBM" will always be the foundation of GN'R live shows. FWIW- IMHO though technically "covers"- LALD and KOHD are never received as such live. Seems to me the vast majority of the ticket buying audience expect to hear those tunes and are pumped when they start. Maybe they could go back to the sped-up UYI album version of KOHD as a change of pace though (been 10+ years with the slower version now)...

Okay, so with all of the setlist complaints going around at the minute and people talking about CD2 etc, it got me thinking.

If CD2 came out, and featured songs like

Jacky Chan

Soul Monster

Blood In The Water

etc

Lets say 14 songs for arguments sake.

what songs should be dropped from the current setlist? Jungle? Rocket Queen? Sorry?

Guns n Roses is already going out there and playing probably the biggest rock show night after night with 33/34 songs being played, so what do you think?

all these songs should come out. available on itunes. and performed live on this tour. they're the continued works of robin finck, buckethead, and brain. let's break the chains. let's hear them! bring change with the setlists on tours and drop a lot 4 nu-chinese material

these should not be dropped (everything else is droppable):

1. WTTJ

2. ISE

3. Nightrain

4. PC

5. SCOM

6. RQ

7. DC

8. NR

9. CW

10. KOHD (ALBUM VERSION) CASUAL FANS LIKE IT

11. Estranged

12. YCBM

13. Patience

14. SR

15. Better

16. TWAT

17. TIL

yeah rotating setlist would be awesome, never know what your gonna get except maybe like 10 classics that would be guaranteed

the majority of classics should be dropped for nu-chinese unreleased material like BITW OH!

I could see some CD songs being dropped, but mysefl I'd rather see the covers go for new songs. Riff Raff, LALD, KOHD and Rosie. And to me they don't have to play ALL the classics every time, but I know the majority wants to hear them. Rataition, tha'd be great! :D

I could see some CD songs being dropped, but mysefl I'd rather see the covers go for new songs. Riff Raff, LALD, KOHD and Rosie. And to me they don't have to play ALL the classics every time, but I know the majority wants to hear them. Rataition, tha'd be great! :D

the setlist on this tour needs a major overhaul

hey, if you don't like certain posters, why don't you just ignore them? if their opinions get you so mad, ignore the shit they post, for god's sake.

maybe the mods should create the axl worshipping section where no negativity would be allowed, that would make you wet your pants, i guess.

Great point.

The forum dictators actually whine and cry more than the haters they are obsessed with. They add constant negativety to every post.

I think a lot of songs could get dropped, and fans would still be happy.

If I had an actually say in the matter, I would crop lald, heavens door, so easy and brownstone.

As well as sorry, Madagascar, rosie, motivation and I would have the guys rotate the solos every night.

So that roughly equals 11 openings.

I would fill those with six songs from the new album.

Rotate some CD songs through the set. Catcher, irs, prostitute, Twat, itw.

And then fill the remaining couple of spots by rotating seldom heard songs. OMG, perfect crime, Yesterdays, down on the farm, don't damn me.

And to help with Axl's voice, since we are eliminating half the solos each night.....mid show do a 4-5 song acoustic set.