Please DO NOT post pictures "exclusive to" the official GN'R site

Powerage5

There you go guys and girls... $50 for a year gets you a t-shirt, a bandana, and access to pics that no one else gets to see. Just reaffirmed my decision not to give any more money to this band.

Cheers,

Andrew

There you go guys and girls... $50 for a year gets you a t-shirt, a bandana, and access to pics that no one else gets to see. Just reaffirmed my decision not to give any more money to this band.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well, you can view them publicly on GNR (and band members) Facebook accounts. This is a really silly decision...

DECENT BAND PHOTOS FINALLY EXIST

BAN THEM FROM BEING POSTED

:thumbsup:

That's clearly the wrong way of looking at it.

If the band has exclusive pictures for people who pay for their site, that's fine. But, we can't have dedicated threads for posting exclusive pictures from the paid section of the site.

If a few get posted on a public site like facebook or twitter, sure, whatever. If a few people have them for a signature or avatar, sure, whatever. But we can't have people posting the pictures that are exclusive for people paying for Gn'R's site.

If the band has exclusive pictures for people who pay for their site, that's fine. But, we can't have dedicated threads for posting exclusive pictures from the paid section of the site.

If a few get posted on a public site like facebook or twitter, sure, whatever. If a few people have them for a signature or avatar, sure, whatever. But we can't have people posting the pictures that are exclusive for people paying for Gn'R's site.

I think I know what specific thread started this and actually I'm not surprised. However, if there is a general "post tour pics" thread and some of those got thrown in there shouldn't be much fuss.

I think we've been a bit sensitive in this regard (nothing to do the mods, my decision) so I can't blame people thinking this is crazy (truth is, if i were on the other side of the fence I'd be thinking the same, so fair enough).

We're trying to get the balance between not appearing like we're being a Debbie downer....VERSUS... not receiving a formal note from the band, etc. We're just trying to be respectful and most important, protect the forum. Those pics are KILLER so we'll try to be as flexible and sensible as possible - sorry if it appeared a bit dramatic guys.

I think we've been a bit sensitive in this regard (nothing to do the mods, my decision) so I can't blame people thinking this is crazy (truth is, if i were on the other side of the fence I'd be thinking the same, so fair enough).

We're trying to get the balance between not appearing like we're being a Debbie downer....VERSUS... not receiving a formal note from the band, etc. We're just trying to be respectful and most important, protect the forum. Those pics are KILLER so we'll try to be as flexible and sensible as possible - sorry if it appeared a bit dramatic guys.

I think your decision has no bearing on this forum but definitely reflects a poor choice by GNR and management who might seek legal recourse for something so trivial. The notion that fans must pay to even have a glimpse of what they support is ridiculous. If I were in a new band setting out to make it in the industry, I'd simply watch what GNR does and do the opposite. Heavens forbid people might actually share amazing pictures of this amazing band and encourage other people to check them out at the next tour stop. One of the best examples of short-term thinking IMO.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

I think I know what specific thread started this and actually I'm not surprised. However, if there is a general "post tour pics" thread and some of those got thrown in there shouldn't be much fuss.

Bingo! :)

So DJ can post the pics on Facebook and Bumblefoot can link to them, but they can't be posted here?

The reasoning behind the decision and the way it's going to be applied have been made pretty clear over the past few pages. I'm not going to spell it out for you again.

Guest Broskirose

So DJ can post the pics on Facebook and Bumblefoot can link to them, but they can't be posted here?

The reasoning behind the decision and the way it's going to be applied have been made pretty clear over the past few pages. I'm not going to spell it out for you again.

You don't have to. It will seem ridiculous to me no matter how many times it's spelled out. Just my opinion and I'm not complaining. You have the right to run the forum whatever way you want, and you can't please everybody.

What about all those 'stolen' bootlegs from the illusions tour circulating in the download forums laugh.gif

Be happy it's been "overlooked". I think it upset Axl more that people sold that footage back in the day than it being seen by fans for free. Hopefully it makes its way in a documentary at some point, or released like an AC/DC "Plug Me In" video.

Not questioning mod decisions at all here so please don't take this the wrong way. I totally understand why you're being careful but surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain?

It's not comercial gain here they are worried about, GN'R is worried about commercial loss.

If pictures are posted here, then there is no reason to pay a premium for message board on the official site. The whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion.

Hit the nail on the head ;)

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame.

thats cool and everything, but have you heard of print screen/screen capture? :xmassrudolph:

That can be supressed just as easily.

You don't have to. It will seem ridiculous to me no matter how many times it's spelled out. Just my opinion and I'm not complaining. You have the right to run the forum whatever way you want, and you can't please everybody.

I guess it would see ridiculous to you - you've never been on the receiving end of a letter from GN'R's legal team before. ;)

Guest Broskirose

I guess it would see ridiculous to you - you've never been on the receiving end of a letter from GN'R's legal team before. ;)

Make me the official MyGNR attorney. I'll put the GNR legal team in their place. :shades:

Make me the official MyGNR attorney. I'll put the GNR legal team in their place. :shades:

I don't know if he still represents Axl, but...

Howard Weitzman is recognized as one of the most influential attorneys in the nation. His practice includes litigation in civil, criminal, antitrust and regulatory forums. Mr. Weitzman has been lead trial attorney in over 200 civil and criminal jury trials, and has represented over 1,000 individuals and companies on matters ranging from intellectual property and entertainment issues to family law and estate issues. He has twice received the Jerry Geisler Memorial Award as the outstanding trial lawyer in Los Angeles County. He has been profiled in a number of publications and was named one of the top fifteen lawyers in the country by The National Law Journal. In 2009, Mr. Weitzman was once again named a “Super Lawyer” and was recognized by The Hollywood Reporter as one of the Top Entertainment Lawyers in the nation. Mr. Weitzman was also honored in the 2010 edition of Southern California’s Best Lawyers, and in the 2009 Los Angeles Business Journal as one of “L.A.’s Top 100 Lawyers.”

- Howard Weitzman

Good luck!!

Not questioning mod decisions at all here so please don't take this the wrong way. I totally understand why you're being careful but surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain?

It's not comercial gain here they are worried about, GN'R is worried about commercial loss.

If pictures are posted here, then there is no reason to pay a premium for message board on the official site. The whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion.

Hit the nail on the head ;)

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame.

thats cool and everything, but have you heard of print screen/screen capture? :xmassrudolph:

You can make it so that you can't use print screen. It's happened to me before.

And there are sites you can use to strip away the JavaScript that prevents these things from being done. Let's stop blaming the victim here.

You have to pay even if you just want to see pictures, PICTURES!! Not new songs, singles, albums or videos, just PICTURES :angry:

It's like they're runnIng a business here or something!

You received a letter over this? I'm pretty disgusted. How crazy is it that Axl and management try and make things harder and harder for his dwindling fan base? Sorry, but it's bs. Not your fault.

You received a letter over this? I'm pretty disgusted. How crazy is it that Axl and management try and make things harder and harder for his dwindling fan base? Sorry, but it's bs. Not your fault.

No, we didn't! Didn't mean to give that impression off.

We were erring on the side of caution to avoid getting one.

Hey all, we'd just like to give you a head's up re: official pictures, in case you've missed our stance elsewhere. Please DO NOT post pictures from the official Guns N' Roses website. These are available as a benefit to paid Nightrain members, and re-posting them here for non-paid members to see could potentially cause legal trouble for the forum. Any posts made containing official photos will be edited to not include such photos, and the poster will be notified of the edit via PM. Please also report any posts that include photos from gunsnroses.com.

Way to get that point across Dan; Im so thankful you addressed this breach of netiquate etiquate with more tact than I possess!

would also be nice to credit the photos posted if the photog is known, wow you guys are doing a great job w/the forum!!