One In A Million

spunko12345

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can't play it as in he'd be crucified by media/public. Which is such bullshit & hypocritical. Look at all the "rap crap" etc...... Even the Stones "Brown Sugar" and Zep "Immigrant Song" etc..... OIAM is so awese. Id also like to hear Axl sing "Look at Your Game" (I think that's it....the "hidden" Spaghetti Incodent track).

Because most people misinterpret it.

How do people misinterpret it? It seems like a pretty straightforward song to me.

People take the "immigrants & persons" and "police & black persons" face value (racist & homophobic". Axl's explanation of the OIAM lyrics is well documented.

How do people misinterpret it? It seems like a pretty straightforward song to me.

More like, people get offended by certain words used in it but miss the bigger picture the song tries to paint (at least imo).

Edited by KiraMPD

He can't play it as in he'd be crucified by media/public. Which is such bullshit & hypocritical. Look at all the "rap crap" etc...... Even the Stones "Brown Sugar" and Zep "Immigrant Song" etc..... OIAM is so awese. Id also like to hear Axl sing "Look at Your Game" (I think that's it....the "hidden" Spaghetti Incodent track).

I agree its an awesome song. The lyric content makes it even more powerful because you cant believe he is saying these things.

I say Axl should take ownership of the song and play it in front of a festival crowd of 50000 people. If he stands by the lyrics he should be brave about One In A Million.

OIAM is a HUGE reason why Axl gets seemingly undeserved shit in the press nowadays. Lyrics like that need a coherent explanation otherwise people understandably think they are your views. Axl never really explained in full.

People take the "immigrants & persons" and "police & black persons" face value (racist & homophobic". Axl's explanation of the OIAM lyrics is well documented.

Its not well documented at all. Its extremely vague. And getting mugged by a black person and almost raped doesnt in anyway whatsoever get him off the hook for using these words.

Lyrics like that need a coherent explanation otherwise people understandably think they are your views. Axl never really explained in full.

I've always thought the song was self explanatory.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't point your finger at me

I'm a small town white boy

Just tryin' to make ends meet

Don't need your religion

Don't watch that much T.V.

Just makin' my livin', baby

Well that's enough for me"

That's just it. Axl once said that the song was about the bus stop and as the song states, this the the view of a "small town white boy". He may think like this or have these views from time to time but he's not acting out on them and he's not harming anyone. Instead he just continues on with his life and that in itself is a profound message imo and it's right there in the song!

Its not well documented at all. Its extremely vague. And getting mugged by a black person and almost raped doesnt in anyway whatsoever get him off the hook for using these words.

It's my understanding that (as per Axl) the song is a "small town white boys" initial reaction to the big city. And yeah- if you know anything about Axl's history it is "well documented" (his explanation).

Lyrics like that need a coherent explanation otherwise people understandably think they are your views. Axl never really explained in full.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't need your religion

That's just it. Axl once said that the song was about the bus stop and as the song states, this the the view of a "small town white boy". He may think like this or have these views from time to time but he's not acting out on them and he's not harming anyone. Instead he just continues on with his life and that in itself is a profound message imo and it's right there in the song!

Fair enough, but now that he's lived in LA for 30 years he should address what he said in a more logical way considering the massive offence he caused to huge sections of society around the world.

Im not saying he is racist, homophobic or anything like that, but forget about the late starts, people in the media have long memories and Ax's reputation is suffering for that song to this day and regardless of how great a singer/frontman he is he needs to either play that song live or apologize.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't need your religion

Fair enough, but now that he's lived in LA for 30 years he should address what he said in a more logical way considering the massive offence he caused to huge sections of society around the world.

Im not saying he is racist, homophobic or anything like that, but forget about the late starts, people in the media have long memories and Ax's reputation is suffering for that song to this day and regardless of how great a singer/frontman he is he needs to either play that song live or apologize.

On the list of things Axl "should" address- this would not be one of them. He did 25yrs ago. Move on.

It's my understanding that (as per Axl) the song is a "small town white boys" initial reaction to the big city. And yeah- if you know anything about Axl's history it is "well documented" (his explanation).

But you have to understand my point, millions of people who have never given half a shit about rock music heard about the song, listened to it and were justifiably offended. Why on earth would they feel they should take the time to dig through old interviews to understand the singers intentions. And for me personally Axl still to this day hasnt or cant justify those lyrics.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't need your religion

On the list of things Axl "should" address- this would not be one of them. He did 25yrs ago. Move on.

Nope, not good enough.

But you have to understand my point, millions of people who have never given half a shit about rock music heard about the song, listened to it and were justifiably offended. Why on earth would they feel they should take the time to dig through old interviews to understand the singers intentions. And for me personally Axl still to this day hasnt or cant justify those lyrics.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't need your religion

Nope, not good enough.

Tell ya what- if you are so offended don't listen to that song. And don't listen to 85% of the songs since you take em so literally.

Is this the best cupcake thread you could muster? Lame.

Im not offended by the song, I can see it for what it is and I love the song. But Its a legitimate topic for conversation considering the lyric content and how so many people dont feel it has been explained or concluded, hence why the question of why Axl doesnt play the song hit such a nerve.

It cant just be brushed under the carpet because it was (too 99% of people) racist in the most blatant way imaginable.

I dont waste my time like that. Go call the next black person you meet a n!gger and tell them how its ok because you got mugged by a black man 5 years ago. See how that works out.

Just because its an old topic dont mean its gonna go away.

Im not offended by the song, I can see it for what it is and I love the song. But Its a legitimate topic for conversation considering the lyric content and how so many people dont feel it has been explained or concluded, hence why the question of why Axl doesnt play the song hit such a nerve.

It cant just be brushed under the carpet because it was (too 99% of people) racist in the most blatant way imaginable.

Oh I think you're a wee bit wiser than you purport to be.

Your opening post said "Why doesn't Axl ever play this song?" And then one of your early posts said some horseshit about why someone would write a song and not play it. And I must say the rest of the 'feigned innocence/devil's advocate' posts were masterfully executed. Ultimately, I don't care that this has been discussed before, or that it could possibly belong in the pre-94 forum, no, rather I care about the fact the obvious answer is somehow not obvious to you.

Carry on.

Edited by Popcorn's Snare

Oh I think you're a wee bit wiser than you purport to be.

Your opening post said "Why doesn't Axl ever play this song?" And then one of your early posts said some horseshit about why someone would write a song and not play it. And I must say the rest of the 'feigned innocence/devil's advocate' posts were masterfully executed. Ultimately, I don't care that this has been discussed before, or that it could possibly belong in the pre-94 forum, no, rather I care about the fact the obvious answer is somehow not obvious to you.

Carry on.

Instead of calling everybody you disagree with haters and cupcakes.....why not engage the person in a conversation? Show them how their topic or idea is wrong. This is a FORUM where people come to discuss GnR. If you don't like a topic - prove the poster wrong, or don't enter the topic and read it. Pretty simple.

Instead of calling everybody you disagree with haters and cupcakes.....why not engage the person in a conversation? Show them how their topic or idea is wrong. This is a FORUM where people come to discuss GnR. If you don't like a topic - prove the poster wrong, or don't enter the topic and read it. Pretty simple.

Dude, first of all, I rarely, if ever use the word "haters." Secondly, I think your definition of cupcake differs from mine. You seem to think I mean it in some mean-spirited, spiteful context. That's not it at all. It's a term that, to me, almost means "bullshitting." So don't take it personally.

Thirdly, I was engaging him in conversation (notice he wasn't getting worked up over it and didn't take the word "cupcake" as uber personally as you do). I think that he knows the answers to each of the questions he's asked, and I did try to prove him wrong.

Fourthly, I didn't mark his godamn thread and I never do. You're the one who averages more walls of text of arguing than I do. =b

His song was controversial way back in the day when GnR were the biggest music act in the world and AFD and Lies were #1 and 2 on the charts. It's been so long since GnRwere relevant I'm sure people could give a fuck about this song anymore. What's it been, 20+ years since it came out.t