Who would you have replaced Izzy with?

Vincent Vega

If you could, who would you have replaced Izzy with in 1991? Axl's first choice was Dave Navarro, but Dave was too messed up on Heroin to make it to any audition or meeting, so Slash found Gilby and Axl and Slash agreed on him. But if you could go back in time and pick anyone available in 1991, who would you have picked to replace Izzy?

Ultimately, I think Izzy was irreplaccable, but Gilby Clarke was a fine choice for the tour. Fortus would have been good as well. Live wasn't really the problem, it's replacing him as a writer and obviously Slash and Axl couldn't agree on anybody. Classic GNR was over when Izzy quit IMO. They could have gone on recording new original material with somebody else, but the chemistry would have been totally different. For me, Axl, Izzy, Slash & Duff were all equally important in making GNR what it was maybe if someone else stepped in (like Gilby) live and Izzy continued to write with the band they might have been able to continue, but it wasn't to be.

Ultimately, I think Izzy was irreplaccable, but Gilby Clarke was a fine choice for the tour. Fortus would have been good as well. Live wasn't really the problem, it's replacing him as a writer and obviously Slash and Axl couldn't agree on anybody. Classic GNR was over when Izzy quit IMO. They could have gone on recording new original material with somebody else, but the chemistry would have been totally different. For me, Axl, Izzy, Slash & Duff were all equally important in making GNR what it was maybe if someone else stepped in (like Gilby) live and Izzy continued to write with the band they might have been able to continue, but it wasn't to be.

Well the chemistry would've been different yes but differen't doesn't mean bad...It could've been even better perhaps. The issue was just finding someone Axl and Slash both agreed on...Axl wanted Paul, Slash wanted Gilby...Axl and Slash both felt each guy was just as capable of writing with the band as Izzy was...I'd argue both guys were but Axl and Slash's stubbornness got in the way of both guys.

I'd love to have seen an album by the Axl/Slash/Gilby/Duff/Matt/Dizzy lineup and also one by the Axl/Slash/Paul/Duff/Matt/Dizzy lineup...Both guys fit as evidenced by their work that they did do with old GN'R.

Dave Navarro would've been really interesting and potentially awesome as a replacement for Izzy writing wise.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Yes, it could have been interesting with Gilby or Paul...Better than AFD, Lies & Illusions? Doubtful. It might have been a train wreck too. The band was totally different when Izzy left. They became a stadium band with a huge production....2 keyboard players, a horn section, backup singers, bloated videos....I can understand why Izzy bailed. The next album could have been generic stadium rock for all we know. None of the remaining original members seemed particularly happy with the band after the UYI tour and their popularity was starting to decline a bit as well. The Spaghetti Incident was not a big seller and received mixed reviews.

As far as Dave Navarro goes, I like Jane's Addiction, but I don't feel hit fits into GNR at all, especially with Slash in the band. I can't see them complimenting each other well on guitar either.

Edited by Highway Zero