Why did Buckethead leave?

Madridista

Was never really fan fan of buckethead n the industrial GNR so wasn't really bothered when he left and I have heard nothing of him since other than on this foram. His albums can't be that good or the general public wud have a least heard of it. I have never even seen a video on kerrang, mtv etc. And there are some shit things on there. The current band IMO are far better and more polished than the 01 -04 band.

And sayin he wanted new music wasn't this one of the times they were writin and recordin

Well, Buckethead is a weird guy, that's for sure. I've heard he had a tryout with the Red Hot Chili Peppers once and didn't even know a single song of theirs! He also didn't work out in Ozzy's band. Basically, it appears that Buckethead just ain't the type of guy that works as a band member. He's an individual artist.

As for the lack of touring yadda yadda ... I think it's pretty obvious, that the band is doing a lot of touring now that they all are on the same page. Buckethead quit the band and any touring plans had to be cancelled due to him leaving. It's funny ... wait, no ... it's sad that the Slash-lover/Axl-haters still try to turn things around when the facts speak for themselves. Fact: Buckethead left and the band had to hire Bumblefoot eventually to start playing live again. Fact: Now that no-one jumps off board, the tour keeps rolling and rolling and rolling ...

I never read that Axl quote about buckethead. Kind of depressing. Wished he was still in the band.

I remember reading that back when it came out - it was depressing even then, even though I wasn't entirely convinced about his fit with the band.

Well, Buckethead is a weird guy, that's for sure. I've heard he had a tryout with the Red Hot Chili Peppers once and didn't even know a single song of theirs! He also didn't work out in Ozzy's band. Basically, it appears that Buckethead just ain't the type of guy that works as a band member. He's an individual artist.

He's been in numerous bands, but they were mostly one album projects and didn't tour.

GN'R press release:

A Message from W. Axl Rose

LISBON, Portugal--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 30, 2004--Guns N' Roses will not be performing as scheduled at Rock In Rio - Lisbon.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

There is not a member of this camp that is not hurt, upset and ultimately disappointed by this event, and more to the point - if not this individual, certainly this individual's choices. Regardless of anyone's opinions of me and what I may or may not deserve, clearly the fans, individuals in this band, management, crew and our support group do not deserve this type of treatment. We as a whole, definitely feel that we afforded Bucket every accommodation perhaps so much so that it may be that we or more precisely, I may have done Guns a disservice and unintentionally allowed Guns to be put in this position.

On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to "discussions" as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

Sincerely,

W. Axl Rose

The Festival will shortly announce the name of a new headliner to perform with EVANESCENCE, KINGS OF LEON and XUTOS E PONTAPES amongst others

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=104

Stuff via. Bucket's camp:

Guitarist Buckethead has officially left GUNS N' ROSES. According to MTV.com, Buckethead became fed up with GUNS' inability to complete an album or tour and stopped working the group late last year, his manager said.

Although Buckethead appeared on the green carpet at the Grammy Awards last month and was introduced by PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC bassist Bootsy Collins as a member of GUNS N' ROSES, he had already told GUNS frontman Axl Rose he no longer wanted to be in the band, the manager told MTV.com.

The guitarist will now focus on numerous projects, including two solo albums — "Population Overdrive" and "Cuckoo Clocks of Hell" — which are due this summer.

GUNS N' ROSES are scheduled to headline the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon, Portugal, on May 30. It is unclear whether the band will have a new guitarist by then. GUNS N' ROSES' label would not comment on Buckethead's departure, according to MTV.com.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=7987

Thank you for sharing!! Never read this before. As always, everyone is guilty but Axl Rose. :rofl-lol:

The funny thing is that Axl later backtracked and said communication was distorted and he wasn't sure if Merck(their manager at the time) was telling the truth or lies. Is it so hard to bandmembers to have direct contact with Axl?

Guest Gunns

I asked Axl about bucket in the 2008 online chats, and he said then he wishes bucket the best and the chance of working together in some form in the future is possible as long as both sides were happy with that situation,

so I think Axl doesn't hold a grudge with bucket, and hopefully bucket doesn't either :)

Guest Gunns

...but then again, Axl is not gonna tell a fan in an online chat about the real reason Buckethead is no longer in the band or if he's pissed at him :shrugs:

Sounds like a pretty PR answer to me.

as opposed to saying to his fanbase that slash Is a cancer or that an ex mygnr mod is a cunt?

Somehow I don't think Axl gives a fuck about PR, which is why it's refreshing and most of the time, brutally honest!

Edited by Gunns

I'm just saying that you asked him a direct question about Buckethead. He gave you a pretty standard answer. Kind of like when someone asks you about an ex. Typical answer is Yeah, I wish him/her all the best in the world.

I know Axl is brutally honest. Even Slash says so in his biography. But I hope you see what I'm trying to say.

Edited by Madridista

Guest Gunns

here's Axl's answer about bucket back in '08 for those that wanted to read it

I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense.

Thanks for posting that :thumbsup: And yes, he does sound honest.

But even so, I've always suspected that we, as fans, will never know the truth behind what goes on behind the scenes in our favorite bands. We'd have to be there everyday to get the full picture. You know, we may read interviews and stuff, and ask them about this and that in online chats, but they'll always only tell us what they choose to tell us.

Thanks for posting that once again though :thumbsup:

You would think that the label knew they'd never break Axl but if they delayed long enough his band would quit hence making a reunion more likely.

They didn't bank on Axl replacing the replacements and pulling it off.

GN'R press release:

A Message from W. Axl Rose

LISBON, Portugal--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 30, 2004--Guns N' Roses will not be performing as scheduled at Rock In Rio - Lisbon.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

There is not a member of this camp that is not hurt, upset and ultimately disappointed by this event, and more to the point - if not this individual, certainly this individual's choices. Regardless of anyone's opinions of me and what I may or may not deserve, clearly the fans, individuals in this band, management, crew and our support group do not deserve this type of treatment. We as a whole, definitely feel that we afforded Bucket every accommodation perhaps so much so that it may be that we or more precisely, I may have done Guns a disservice and unintentionally allowed Guns to be put in this position.

On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to "discussions" as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

Sincerely,

W. Axl Rose

The Festival will shortly announce the name of a new headliner to perform with EVANESCENCE, KINGS OF LEON and XUTOS E PONTAPES amongst others

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=104

Stuff via. Bucket's camp:

Guitarist Buckethead has officially left GUNS N' ROSES. According to MTV.com, Buckethead became fed up with GUNS' inability to complete an album or tour and stopped working the group late last year, his manager said.

Although Buckethead appeared on the green carpet at the Grammy Awards last month and was introduced by PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC bassist Bootsy Collins as a member of GUNS N' ROSES, he had already told GUNS frontman Axl Rose he no longer wanted to be in the band, the manager told MTV.com.

The guitarist will now focus on numerous projects, including two solo albums — "Population Overdrive" and "Cuckoo Clocks of Hell" — which are due this summer.

GUNS N' ROSES are scheduled to headline the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon, Portugal, on May 30. It is unclear whether the band will have a new guitarist by then. GUNS N' ROSES' label would not comment on Buckethead's departure, according to MTV.com.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=7987

Thank you for sharing!! Never read this before. As always, everyone is guilty but Axl Rose. :rofl-lol:

Probably the same reason Robin Finck quit. He probably got pissed off working on some for so long never knowing when it was going to be release. It was so odd to shoe-horn in Bumblefoot and Frank at the last minute prior to release. That was some kind of fuck you to Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck.

Edited by vaida

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I have no idea and I don't care, but I am happy he did. I hope a few others in the band will do the same and leave as well.

Was never really fan fan of buckethead n the industrial GNR so wasn't really bothered when he left and I have heard nothing of him since other than on this foram. His albums can't be that good or the general public wud have a least heard of it.

You mean like the general public have all heard of Chinese Democracy? :lol: