Why did Buckethead leave?

Madridista

I'm just saying that you asked him a direct question about Buckethead. He gave you a pretty standard answer. Kind of like when someone asks you about an ex. Typical answer is Yeah, I wish him/her all the best in the world.

I know Axl is brutally honest. Even Slash says so in his biography. But I hope you see what I'm trying to say.

If there was another issue he would've said it.

Following your metaphor, Slash would also be considered an "ex" and he certainly doesn't feel the need to PR-up his feelings on it.

Well, Buckethead is a weird guy, that's for sure. I've heard he had a tryout with the Red Hot Chili Peppers once and didn't even know a single song of theirs! He also didn't work out in Ozzy's band. Basically, it appears that Buckethead just ain't the type of guy that works as a band member. He's an individual artist.

Wikipedia says that RHCP found Buckethead "sweet, but unable to kick a groove" which is odd with all the funk-type stuff he has in his solo music. That band would've been amazing.

Apparently, Ozzy wouldn't accept Buckethead because he "wouldn't take off the bucket".

I think he's good in a band setting but maybe not so much in a big band setting. He works with others often.

I've been told it's more than just the lack of new music and the aborted 2002 tour with Bucket, hence why he's had absolutely zero to do with Guns since 2004, unlike Brain and Robin. Apparently several people in the camp never liked him, ostracised him and lobbied for his ejection, particularly Tommy and Del, which makes perfect sense because they're the two least likely to remotely relate to Bucket in any kind of way i.e. they're pretty boorish and laddish blokes. They pretty much openly bullied the guy. Bucket was prepared to ride that bullshit out but not indefinitely without the album or a tour. He regularly goes back and works with the same people from parts of his past, all except Guns, because 'Guns' is a dirty word to him now. Axl also owns a tonne of stuff that Bucket recorded which he'd love to use but can't because legally it's Axl's. After 10 years, and knowing Twat gets pulled out once every few years...it must be pretty depressing.

Biggest waste ever imo. Should have been Axl and Bucket on album number 3 or 4 by now, on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Edited by Jordan Rose

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It was simply down to the fact that Guns N' Roses had not been either seen (in terms of tours) or heard from (besides demos) and Buckethead had too much artistic integrity to continue his association.

The tours, whilst satisfying for the Ferrer's and Reed's, will have the same effect on guys like Bumblefoot.

You think Bumblefoot will eventually quit?

If there was another long layoff after the current tour followed by more dates with the current set it wouldn't surprise me if he quit.

Yup - he loves the gig, but loves the music. He's spoken out numerous times about the hour they go on stage...

If there was another long layoff after the current tour followed by more dates with the current set it wouldn't surprise me if he quit.

Yup - he loves the gig, but loves the music. He's spoken out numerous times about the hour they go on stage...

I'm sorry. I'm not followig you. what do you mean?

Bumble has repeatedly commented that "ever minute you're waiting, I am too" - referring to the crowd. He wants to go and play - plain and simple, and has said he has no control over stage timings etc.

Bumble has repeatedly commented that "ever minute you're waiting, I am too" - referring to the crowd. He wants to go and play - plain and simple, and has said he has no control over stage timings etc.

Can you blame him??

Can you blame him??

It isn't my place to comment - but I certainly think that's the right attitude to have. They're all there, why just not play?

But, I'm happy to wait for the best band in the world. :shrugs:

Buckethead leaving was probably the biggest blow to GN'R since Slash's depature, IMO. He and Axl could have made some incredible things together had they continued and CD came out in 2001/2002. We can only hope his work will stay on any future releases.

Buckethead leaving was probably the biggest blow to GN'R since Slash's depature, IMO. He and Axl could have made some incredible things together had they continued and CD came out in 2001/2002. We can only hope his work will stay on any future releases.

That said, whilst I would trust Bumble to replicate them accurately, I would rather the original Bucket parts remained.

Equally, I'd love Brain to come back and guest too, maybe bring back Freese, why not? Three drummers makes us more like Spinal Tap...

That's how it was supposed to be but didn't happen.

Well, Buckethead is a weird guy, that's for sure. I've heard he had a tryout with the Red Hot Chili Peppers once and didn't even know a single song of theirs! He also didn't work out in Ozzy's band. Basically, it appears that Buckethead just ain't the type of guy that works as a band member. He's an individual artist.

He's been in numerous bands, but they were mostly one album projects and didn't tour.

He's more of a duo guy. Or trio. Never worked well as a member of a full band.

Wonder if Axl absolutely hates Bucket as much as he hates Slash?

I've been told it's more than just the lack of new music and the aborted 2002 tour with Bucket, hence why he's had absolutely zero to do with Guns since 2004, unlike Brain and Robin. Apparently several people in the camp never liked him, ostracised him and lobbied for his ejection, particularly Tommy and Del, which makes perfect sense because they're the two least likely to remotely relate to Bucket in any kind of way i.e. they're pretty boorish and laddish blokes. They pretty much openly bullied the guy. Bucket was prepared to ride that bullshit out but not indefinitely without the album or a tour. He regularly goes back and works with the same people from parts of his past, all except Guns, because 'Guns' is a dirty word to him now. Axl also owns a tonne of stuff that Bucket recorded which he'd love to use but can't because legally it's Axl's. After 10 years, and knowing Twat gets pulled out once every few years...it must be pretty depressing.

Biggest waste ever imo. Should have been Axl and Bucket on album number 3 or 4 by now, on the cover of Rolling Stone.

I know someone in the Buckethead camp (and cannot say who and how they are connected) but all this is true plus more. Apparently Robin and Buckethead did not get along well. Less open bullying like Tommy, but apparently Buckethead was really upset that Robin, who left the band so suddenly in 1999, was welcomed back with open arms in 2000 AND given the spot of being one of the lead guitarists. My friend also claimed that there were rumors that Buckethead quit as early as 2002-2003, and he was used as an excuse for the band not being able to play RIR in 2004.

Either way, as others have pointed out, Buckethead does NOT talk about Guns N' Roses at all, and it is sort of an unofficial rule with his people to NEVER mention anything about his tenure in the band. He even said the few times fans have asked Bucket about Guns N' Roses after shows, he has either completely ignored it, or in some cases walked away.

I know someone in the Buckethead camp (and cannot say who and how they are connected) but all this is true plus more. Apparently Robin and Buckethead did not get along well. Less open bullying like Tommy, but apparently Buckethead was really upset that Robin, who left the band so suddenly in 1999, was welcomed back with open arms in 2000 AND given the spot of being one of the lead guitarists. My friend also claimed that there were rumors that Buckethead quit as early as 2002-2003, and he was used as an excuse for the band not being able to play RIR in 2004.

Either way, as others have pointed out, Buckethead does NOT talk about Guns N' Roses at all, and it is sort of an unofficial rule with his people to NEVER mention anything about his tenure in the band. He even said the few times fans have asked Bucket about Guns N' Roses after shows, he has either completely ignored it, or in some cases walked away.

That's some of the most interesting info I've read on this forum in quite some time. When I attended an after party during the 2002 U.S. Tour, only Buckethead, Brain and Chris were absent from the get-together. I always wondered why Brain stayed on after Buckethead left. It sounds to me like maybe Tommy should have been given the boot back when. He was pretty stand-offish at the aforementioned after party,

That's some of the most interesting info I've read on this forum in quite some time. When I attended an after party during the 2002 U.S. Tour, only Buckethead, Brain and Chris were absent from the get-together. I always wondered why Brain stayed on after Buckethead left. It sounds to me like maybe Tommy should have been given the boot back when. He was pretty stand-offish at the aforementioned after party,

Well that's just it: Bucket's not a partier and has nothing in common with Tommy. I hung out with Tommy a whole bunch on Jesse Malin's 2004 tour and he's just like any normal bloke you might meet down the pub who likes to drink a lot. If you look at his upbringing and past and musical/social mindset he couldn't be further from Bucket's leanings. When Bucket left he said 'good riddance. best thing that could have happened for the band'. He did later on say 'ah, I miss the little Bucket'.

There is more i've heard which becomes more subjective hence I didn't mention before but since someone else can verify the gist of it i'll elaborate a bit. Remember the A-Group, B-Group recording thing? Well supposedly some were resentful of the influence and time Bucket had with Axl and the obvious fact that his writing contributions impacted more than anyone bar Robin. Tommy, having been there the longest, the rehearsal General and unofficial lockeroom leader when Axl's absent etc, particularly didn't like having to deal with this 'weirdo' who he couldn't control or manipulate who the sound and image of the band was starting to be built around. And there was nothing he nor anyone else who cared could do since Bucket was more talented than several of them put together. The idea that a lackey like Del should influence anything to do with band members and music is insane but he's part of the boy's club with Tommy and they had an agenda where Bucket was concerned.

Bucket, Brain and Robin were the only people who really wanted and expected to go places musically with Axl and push him and themselves. The rest of the guys were content with the travelling, lifestyle, money etc. Today Bumble's in the same situation they were.

On a personal note I find it impossible to believe that Merck lied and sabotaged Bucket/Rio4 etc in an effort to reuinite the old band as Axl has implied. They guy talked about the new band, music and plans with the excitement of a hardcore fan.

Also, at this point in the game, considering the drummer from Nirvana, who hasn't a tenth of Axl's talent an charisma, somehow started again and created one of the biggest, most loved rock bands in the world, I just wish Axl had used a new name and built the band around Bucket, Brain and Robin. They could have taken over the world.

Edited by Jordan Rose

Well that's just it: Bucket's not a partier and has nothing in common with Tommy. I hung out with Tommy a whole bunch on Jesse Malin's 2004 tour and he's just like any normal bloke you might meet down the pub who likes to drink a lot. If you look at his upbringing and past and musical/social mindset he couldn't be further from Bucket's leanings. When Bucket left he said 'good riddance. best thing that could have happened for the band'. He did later on say 'ah, I miss the little Bucket'.

There is more i've heard which becomes more subjective hence I didn't mention before but since someone else can verify the gist of it i'll elaborate a bit. Remember the A-Group, B-Group recording thing? Well supposedly some were resentful of the influence and time Bucket had with Axl and the obvious fact that his writing contributions impacted more than anyone bar Robin. Tommy, having been there the longest, the rehearsal General and unofficial lockeroom leader when Axl's absent etc, particularly didn't like having to deal with this 'weirdo' who he couldn't control or manipulate who the sound and image of the band was starting to be built around. And there was nothing he nor anyone else who cared could do since Bucket was more talented than several of them put together. The idea that a lackey like Del should influence anything to do with band members and music is insane but he's part of the boy's club with Tommy and they had an agenda where Bucket was concerned.

Bucket, Brain and Robin were the only people who really wanted and expected to go places musically with Axl and push him and themselves. The rest of the guys were content with the travelling, lifestyle, money etc. Today Bumble's in the same situation they were.

On a personal note I find it impossible to believe that Merck lied and sabotaged Bucket/Rio4 etc in an effort to reuinite the old band as Axl has implied. They guy talked about the new band, music and plans with the excitement of a hardcore fan.

Also, at this point in the game, considering the drummer from Nirvana, who hasn't a tenth of Axl's talent an charisma, somehow started again and created one of the biggest, most loved rock bands in the world, I just wish Axl had used a new name and built the band around Bucket, Brain and Robin. They could have taken over the world.

Indeed. Very interesting comments, thank you. When I met Buckethead prior to the 2002 tour, he seemed like a quiet, unassuming guy, but not someone I thought would be pushed around. What I mean to say is, he didn't look like someone with a target on his back or someone that looked like they would be picked on. I still wonder if he didn't quit prior to the 2001 Euro Tour and his ulcer illness was justa ruse because Axl wasn't ready to go. The 2001/2002 period of the band is the most intruiging to me. Any more insight?