What if Tracii Guns had stayed in GN'R

RichardNixon

Simple enough question.

Hypothetically speaking, what if Tracii Guns had stayed with GN'R? Would they have been as popular? What direction would they have gone in, etc...

I'm guessing they would have went the way LA Guns went; if you listen to that Hollywood Rose tape that came out a few years ago, that seems to be a good indication of the direction the bad was heading and the sound they had, which is, they sounded like any other metal band at the time

Well...If Tracii had stayed, I suppose GnR would have sold about 99 million albums less.

You don't know that unless you have an alternate reality machine :rolleyes:

Tracii guns is great I don't see why not ...

+1

Based on the music Tracii has produced to date I think glow's opinion is very likely

Well...If Tracii had stayed, I suppose GnR would have sold about 99 million albums less.

+1

Based on the music Tracii has produced to date I think glow's opinion is very likely

Tracii has been playing with hacks pretty much his whole career....he's a great guitar player and surrounded by guys like Axl, Izzy and Duff he would have been much more successful.

Listen to his work on Gilby's album Sawg especially the song Alien.

+1

Tracii has been playing with hacks pretty much his whole career....he's a great guitar player and surrounded by guys like Axl, Izzy and Duff he would have been much more successful.

Listen to his work on Gilby's album Sawg especially the song Alien.

Concur.

Probably not to the heights of Gn'R, but he isn't a bad guitar player.

While these questions are interesting, it's impossible to predict what would've happened if he'd stayed. The fact that he was replaced so early on goes to show he had no place in the band. Correct me if I'm wrong though

But didn't Tracii say that he had a part in the writing of AFD? I don't have any links to back that up though.

I'd like to see the setlist of an L.A. Guns show when Axl was their singer or one of a GN'R show back when they had Tracii.

I wouldn't call Phil Lewis a "hack," he's got some good pipes and is charismatic. L.A. Guns are a pretty good band. The Tracii-led version has yet to release a new album though, and while the Lewis one just put one out.

It's not a matter of being a good or a bad player, it's a matter of being the right player to fit the right band at the right time.

The reason GnR got big is because they brought back the classic feel of bands like the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin, something that was completely lost during the cheesy glam rock era.

The problem with Tracii is that while he's a good guitarist, his playing screams eighties so I doubt that Axl's unique voice would have been enough for the band to take off as it did...I mean, they were the biggest band on the planet at one time...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

While these questions are interesting, it's impossible to predict what would've happened if he'd stayed. The fact that he was replaced so early on goes to show he had no place in the band. Correct me if I'm wrong though

But didn't Tracii say that he had a part in the writing of AFD? I don't have any links to back that up though.

I'd like to see the setlist of an L.A. Guns show when Axl was their singer or one of a GN'R show back when they had Tracii.

I wouldn't call Phil Lewis a "hack," he's got some good pipes and is charismatic. L.A. Guns are a pretty good band. The Tracii-led version has yet to release a new album though, and while the Lewis one just put one out.

He was not credited with writing any of the songs but he was with the band when they wrote 'Anything Goes'. Thats the only AFD song he is linked to.