Geoff Tate quits Queensryche

Val22

Geoff Tate has officially left as singer to Queensryche.

It was posted today on blabbermouth.net.

The band said there had been problems musicially because Geoff and the band wanted to go in different directions.

Anyway, the new singer is former Crimson Glory singer, Todd. I heard some songs on blabbermouth.net and this guy rocks. I liked CG from the 80's and this guy's voice is still awesome.

I have been a huge fan of Queensryche but when Chris DeGarmo left the band in the early 90's the follow up cds just didn't have the same impact as Empire or Operation Mindcrime 1. Even the release of OM2 just couldn't compare to the first cd. I think Chris was an important writer for the band and when he left it lost its talent.

Besides, I think after reading a few things about Geoff Tate lately, this guy has alot of issues going on.

I hope Queensryche now gets it's edge back and maybe Chris will rejoin the band again. But if Queensryche intends to tour with Todd, I will definitely be there to see them.

Queensryche was dying without Chris DeGarmo. This is the final nail in their coffin, I reckon.

I totally agree. Geoff Tate has said he wrote most of the songs, but once DeGarmo left the whole writing process and the songs just weren't as edgy as their earlier stuff. Geoff can still sing amazing, but when I saw Queensryche in 92 they rocked. Without DeGarmo it just wasnt' the same.

I think the singer from Grimson Glory can sing his ass off, but I guess time will tell what kind of new songs they will produce. But I think some lawsuites might be coming on since Geoff feels he founded Queensryche and him getting fired was a complete shock!

I really don't care how much the new singer sounds like Tate. I don't really think they'll come up with anything that even comes close to older QR because the two principle songwriters (Tate and DeGarmo) are now both gone.

I love QR but I have no interest in them trying to throwback to the mid-1980s with a more powerful singer. I'd rather see a Tate/DeGarmo album come out of this than anything else. Oh well. I know that probably won't happen.

On another note, I think I'm the only one who loves Operation: Mindcrime II. Yes, it doesn't even touch the first album, but I still think it's pretty damn good, even with the filler tunes on it.

• 3 weeks later...

This Tate Vs. Queensryche mess has been quite entertaining. If nothing else, Tate will finally get to do his boring I-Wish-I-Was-Peter-Gabriel solo stuff on the coffeehouse/wine and cheese circuit and the rest of the band will be able to play the old stuff (y'know, the stuff people really wanna hear) again with a singer who actually likes the material, and who can hit the notes. Everybody wins.

This Tate Vs. Queensryche mess has been quite entertaining. If nothing else, Tate will finally get to do his boring I-Wish-I-Was-Peter-Gabriel solo stuff on the coffeehouse/wine and cheese circuit and the rest of the band will be able to play the old stuff (y'know, the stuff people really wanna hear) again with a singer who actually likes the material, and who can hit the notes. Everybody wins.

Tate's fighting them on using the name. I don't agree with them keeping the name (of course, band name ownership's something that comes up a lot here), except to fulfill dates they had booked before the feud. Then it's a good time to use the new name while playing gigs as QR. I don't agree or disagree with them using it, but it's cool that they're being open about what led to the fight and not just citing "creative differences". It's good publicity for them as well. Now they'll start talking about Tate being an egomaniac (berating the audience did make him look like a douche), and Tate will say they're just doing it for the money.

If the singer does the songs justice and fans turn out, that's all that matters to the fans. They wind up coming up with new music, and what would vindicate them is if that CD did really well, and sold more than QR's later era stuff.

Doubt they'll ever work together again, just because they're all older and by the time anything got resolved, they'd be old men, and because once they say how they really feel, and the behind the scenes stuff comes out, the gloves are off. Tate's not going to stop talking about it, either. And if they do keep the name, he'll just go "I still get money as a songwriter, they can work while I work on my vineyard".

• 1 year later...

can anyone see Tate taking an Operation Mindcrime show on the road. Like an elaborate theatre show with props. Or will he do a useless solo album.

After the cabaret tour/show you can expect anything but a useless solo album can take part after they clear the situation for the name soon,what if Tatte lose ryche label name,he probably will rename his band as solo band.Kelly gray sucks really bad,worst than a coverband of a coverband. <_< <_<

Geoff Tate on Todd La Torre-Fronted Queensryche Album: ‘I Won’t Listen to It’

“Oh, I’m not interested at all. I haven’t listened to it and won’t listen to it. I really ripped off the rear view mirror, and I’m speeding down the road. I’m not interested in what they’re doing. I spent thirty years with those guys. I know what they’re doing (laughs).”

Edited by Majestic Beast

can anyone see Tate taking an Operation Mindcrime show on the road. Like an elaborate theatre show with props. Or will he do a useless solo album.

"Operation:Mindcrime: is his "Wall", part of the feud/lawsuit had to do with making it into a movie and not involving the band members in the decision. It's probably going to be a dead in the water project.

Tate under his own name will probably happen, and has toured under his own name in the past. Using the QR name is more to fuck with his former bandmates and if he's wanting to do Mindcrime shows.

DeGarmo left that band in frustration because the band blamed him for "Here in the New Frontier" for tanking. They probably should have ended the band at the time after "Promised Land", they'd been together for 12 years by then and it would have been a good time to wind it down.

Whenever I hear his name, this is all I can think of these days. Someone posted it here a while back.

Warning: the level of smug is so high in this video, you might want to keep a towel handy to wipe the shit out of your eyes after watching it.

Hey, I was first. But yeah, I always think of this video as well. The moment the voice over starts, I can't stop laughing. "Oh Yeah. I love my job". :D

Edited by st0n3r

Whenever I hear his name, this is all I can think of these days. Someone posted it here a while back.

Warning: the level of smug is so high in this video, you might want to keep a towel handy to wipe the shit out of your eyes after watching it.

I could see him doing cartoon voices of bad guys.

Smug or insecurity?

He still sounds better than Axl has recently...nice band Tate has got though!

I was referring to his band having Rudy Sarzo and Simon Wright in it, seriously.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Ive ever heard Queensryche before I listened to that clip.

I didn't say he sounds brilliant, but it wasn't half as embarrassing as some of the recent Axl stuff.

Vince? Saw the Crue in 07, I didn't have any complaints...I don't really follow them/him, I have no doubt he sounds like shit :P

He still sounds better than Axl has recently...nice band Tate has got though!

I was referring to his band having Rudy Sarzo and Simon Wright in it, seriously.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Ive ever heard Queensryche before I listened to that clip.

I didn't say he sounds brilliant, but it wasn't half as embarrassing as some of the recent Axl stuff.

Vince? Saw the Crue in 07, I didn't have any complaints...I don't really follow them/him, I have no doubt he sounds like shit :P

the geoff tate queensryche has 2/5ths of the last dio lineup :o

Edited by bran