What would you say are Martin Scorsese's masterpieces?

Randy Lahey

What would you say are Martin Scorsese's masterpieces? I'd say Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas. Most of his other movies are very good to great, but those are his only real masterpieces.

I'm really looking forward to this movie if it happens. Pesci, De Niro, Pacino and Scorsese. I expect nothing less than brilliance with those 4 together.

Guest Len B'stard

Whoose that Knocking On My Door

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Mean Streets

Taxi Driver

Raging Bull

After Hours (in an odd way)

Goodfellas

The Departed

Honourable mention:

The Age of Innocence

Mean Streets, Whoose That Knocking On My Door and Taxi Driver probably are the toppermost candidates though.

Goodfellas - the pace and style of that is awesome, and The Last Waltz is one of the best concert films ever made. Dylan's "No Direction Home" was long overdue - we get so used to Bob in recent years that we needed something to remember when he had this incredible period in his life where he knocked all these songs out of the park.

My Voyage To Italy and My Personal Journey are pretty cool if you wanted to get into watching classic films.

What about Gangs of New York?

I really loved this movie. Hopefully one day we see the extended (true) cut... They should've released it in 2 volumes (like KB, Meserine, Che etc...)

I'll go with Goodfellas, Raging Bull and Departed. I really didn't expect Departed to be as good as it was considering that it was a remake.

Soooooo ... am I like the only one who has seen Hugo?

I didn't see it in 3D, but still thought it was extremely well done with the acting, visuals, direction, etc. Not my type of movie though, the pace wasn't fast enough for my liking.

Great movie, he got to mess with 3D and had a great cast. It still deals with real life, as most Scorsese films do. The story is mostly for kids, but the whole thing about Melies was real. (Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight, Tonight" was based on Melies "A Trip to the Moon"). He had his movies melted down during WWI though, and I do think he did have a renaissance in the 20s or 30s, that was kind of taking artistic license in the movie. Sacha Baron Cohen can act, he got to bring out his inner Peter Sellers for the movie. He doesn't always have to be outrageous to sell tickets. It's not for everyone, but it's cute and charming without being cheesy. Oscar nominated, so a lot of people did like it. I haven't seen The Artist, so I don't know why it beat everyone else out, including this one.

Yes, I'd watch it again, in a few years.

But I do want DeNiro, Keitel, Pesci, and DiCaprio in a movie directed by Scorsese. He should do an ensemble with a lot of the actors he's worked with over the year.

Guest Len B'stard
Sacha Baron Cohen can act, he got to bring out his inner Peter Sellers for the movie.

You're usually bang on about most things but Cohen doesn't even begin to approach Peter Sellers in terms of ability as an actor or comedian. He simply does not have it.