Was Axl's biggest mistake with New GNR letting Robin Finck come back after he'd been replaced by Buckethead?

Randy Lahey

Was Axl's biggest mistake with New GNR letting Robin Finck come back after he'd been replaced by Buckethead? It must have been insulting for a guitar player of Buckethead's caliber to have to share lead guitar parts with another player. You don't bring in another lead guitar when you've got a Hendrix or Page in the mix already. This band should have been built around Axl and Buckethead. We could have had so many great albums by now if that were the case.

I'll be in the minority on this one- but I actually have the converse view. I think the band's biggest mistake may have actually been letting the Finck/Freese/Stinson version fall apart when Robin and Josh departed in '99.

Bucket and Brain are awesome- but overall I kind of feel like that's where the project lost a little of its initial "urgency"/momentum based around the idea of Axl pushing ahead aggressively with no apologies in a new modern direction for his big comeback. Once the revolving door started spinning on the project again it seemed like things really got bogged down with "re-recordings", different producers, chicken coops, puppets, clashes with the label as they went from initially "supportive" of the re-vamped line-up to impatient, agitated and focused on a reunion, etc.

I really wish someone had gotten Axl to force out the Finck/Huge/Stinson/Freese album in '99 and that they played Lollapollooza, Woodstock, Ozzfest and whatever else that year. I think folks would have actually been pretty psyched to see Axl with the ex-lead guitarist of NIN and the ex-bassist from the Replacements, etc. Would have played well in the late 90s environment IMHO. Axl would have only been 37 at the time too. Great time to have potentially come back.

All that said- obviously Bucket and Brain made some epic contributions on CD- so it wasn't all bad obviously...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Robin wasn't a good enough guitarist to replace Slash in the first place. That lineup would have completely tanked, imo.

Agree to disagree on that one I guess- though I certainly acknowledge the fact that most folks will probably agree with you over me. Robin was sure to receive a ton of scrutiny- no doubt- but he would have won a fair amount of people over with his TIL solo IMHO for example. Near criminal that he never even got a chance to play that live and God knows how long it was sitting there ready to go...

Guest Broskirose

I'll be in the minority on this one- but I actually have the converse view. I think the band's biggest mistake may have actually been letting the Finck/Freese/Stinson version fall apart when Robin and Josh departed in '99.

Bucket and Brain are awesome- but overall I kind of feel like that's where the project lost a little of its initial "urgency"/momentum based around the idea of Axl pushing ahead aggressively with no apologies in a new modern direction for his big comeback. Once the revolving door started spinning on the project again it seemed like things really got bogged down with "re-recordings", different producers, chicken coops, puppets, clashes with the label as they went from initially "supportive" of the re-vamped line-up to impatient, agitated and focused on a reunion, etc.

I really wish someone had gotten Axl to force out the Finck/Huge/Stinson/Freese album in '99 and that they played Lollapollooza, Woodstock, Ozzfest and whatever else that year. I think folks would have actually been pretty psyched to see Axl with the ex-lead guitarist of NIN and the ex-bassist from the Replacements, etc. Would have played well in the late 90s environment IMHO. Axl would have only been 37 at the time too. Great time to have potentially come back.

All that said- obviously Bucket and Brain made some epic contributions on CD- so it wasn't all bad obviously...

I agree. I love Bucket but the 1999 lineup is probably the best lineup GNR ever had or will have. Not to mention Axl had his best voice ever then. Too bad so little of that period is available to fans.

Edited by Broskirose

+1

This band should have been built around Axl and Buckethead

it wasn't the case? Majority of CDsongs have the soul of buckethead. he had carte blanche on everything.

We could have had so many great albums by now if that were the case.

No i dont think so. The label don't give a shit about Buckethead. maybe even, that the band would be already dead!

I think the biggest mistake for NuGNR was Buckethead. This guy can't work with a band. His lifestyl caused far too much problems in GNR (mostly communication). talent can't allow everything, even for Buckethead.

Edited by tranconneuse

Guest Broskirose
I love Bucket but the 1999 lineup is probably the best lineup NU-GNR ever had or will have.

FIXED

If you mean this way, i can agree with you 100%

No, that's not what I meant at all.

inb4 you call me a cupcake :sleeper:

This guy can't work with a band. His lifestyl caused far too much problems in GNR (mostly communication). talent can't allow everything, even for Buckethead.

Love Bucket- but this is mostly where I come down as well. Would have been cool as hell to have him as a "guest-contributor" on a couple of the '99 band tracks and left it that. He's a unique talent to be sure- but I remain totally unconvinced that he was really interested over the long-haul in being the lead axe-man for a high-profile "MTV" mega-band like GN'R. Just not his style IMHO...

Robin at least had some exposure (all be it not quite the same level) to "big band" life as a touring member of NIN at their peak. I think he was legitimately looking for a shot at "prime time" (both creatively and performance-wise)...

I love Bucket but the 1999 lineup is probably the best lineup NU-GNR ever had or will have.

FIXED

If you mean this way, i can agree with you 100%

No, that's not what I meant at all.

inb4 you call me a cupcake :sleeper:

hmm, ok it's your opinion

But the 1999 lineup isn't the best OVERALL.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

His biggest mistake was to start new GNR at all. The band should just have stopped existing after all important members but himself had left it.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

His biggest mistake was to start new GNR at all. The band should just have stopped existing after all important members but himself had left it.

So you'd rather have no GNR today, period, than have Nu-Guns?

Yes. I honestly think it would be best if Axl retired at this point.

But my post was referring to 15 years ago. He could have started a solo career in his own name instead, or just started up a new band (same band maybe, but with another name) and it wouldn't have been half the troubles that has come of that he chose to try to be GNR all by himself.