Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan Defends Axl Rose For Not Turning Up To Guns N' Roses Induction Into The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame

Guest Broskirose

Guest Broskirose

Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan Defends Axl Rose For Not Turning Up To Guns N' Roses Induction Into The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame

In an interview with Becko from Triple M, Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan has defended Axl Rose's no-show for Guns N' Roses' recent induction into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

"I appreciate the position Axl was in and why he didn't wanna go. I think he felt like he was being set up. He was wise not to go because he would've come out [looking] like a spoil-sport. He didn't want to play nice with the old team. And he obviously has his personal reasons," said Billy.

"Also, the minute he gets up on stage with the original band, then everything else he does that isn't that… it's almost as if he's trying not do something and he's not been doing it for many years. So i can understand why Axl didn't want that put on him."

Billy said fans need to recognise that things change and people change.

"You can go on YouTube and watch a clip of Guns N' Roses from 1988 and go 'wow, what a great band. I wish they'd get back together'.. that's a good thing. But it doesn't address the reality that was a long time ago."

Billy went on to have a go at the hipster phase going on in music.

"Oh my God!" he exclaimed. "If I could legally kill some people it would be hipsters. For us old farts, how have the people with laptops taken over? I'll follow Angry Anderson into a foxhole anyday but I won't follow some nerd with a laptop," he smiles.

Glad to see Billy still calls it as he sees it.

The Smashing Pumpkins new album Oceania is out this Friday, June 22.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news/blog/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-defends-axl-rose-for-not-turning-up-to-guns-n-roses-induction-into-the-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame/20120620-gjuw.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has balls, I'll give him that:

"However, concertgoers could be disappointed next time they're at a show because Billy says they plan to play their latest offering "Oceania" in its entirety with only few fan favourites thrown in."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/smashing_pumpkins_frustrated_by_fans.html

Edited by jekylhyde

I'm an old fart too (39 yrs old) - can someone please tell me what is a fuckin' Hipster???

On topic - nice to see support for Axl. I would have loved to have seen Axl accept the HOF induction but deep down I'm glad he didnt. The HOF is just a business trying to make a buck on others... Fuck em!

Well I'm starting to thing Billy Corgan is a twat.

Billy is a twat. Did you see his recent Radiohead comments?

Basically all the dude talks about is petty jealous shit about the "music industry not being what it used to be", "these god damn bearded hipster kids don't like my music", "people don't listen to full albums anymore or go to concerts". Dude. They do. They just don't buy your shit or go to your shows because you've only made like 3 decent at best songs since the 1990s.

1. Someone who wears trendier clothes than you do.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for wearing plaid, chucks, and a beanie

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for wearing moccasins, strange glasses, and a deep v-neck shirt

2. Then you apply this to giving off a vibe of stuck-up-ness - when compared to you.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for listening to music he hasn't heard of and not being into football

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for playing a moog synth, hanging out in coffee shops with a laptop and scoffing at bands like Metallica

It's a silly word.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

1. Someone who wears trendier clothes than you do.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for wearing plaid, chucks, and a beanie

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for wearing moccasins, strange glasses, and a deep v-neck shirt

2. Then you apply this to giving off a vibe of stuck-up-ness - when compared to you.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for listening to music

he hasn't heard of and not being into football

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for playing a moog synth, hanging out in coffee shops with a laptop and scoffing at bands like Metallica

It's a silly word.

Ok, thanks. I got it - I think??? I'll just substitute the word Hipster for Arsehole or Wanker...

I'm an old fart too (39 yrs old) - can someone please tell me what is a fuckin' Hipster???

On topic - nice to see support for Axl. I would have loved to have seen Axl accept the HOF induction but deep down I'm glad he didnt. The HOF is just a business trying to make a buck on others... Fuck em!

Not for anything but isn't 12 years of touring for the same album just GnR trying to make a buck off others?

It would have been awesome if he went but I don't fault him for not going. That's a very awkward situation. Not only did none of his current members get nominated, He would have been hassled for a reunion and had to perform with them. A double edged sword that's shitting grenades.

I'd love to see the Pumpkins open for GNR. Would be a great show!!

Didn't they open for GN'R way back when?

I think Billy can appreciate where Axl is, as BC is the sole remaining member of SP. That's not really the same case though, as Billy was the main songwriter, guitar player, singer and even played most of the instruments. Still, he can probably emphasize with Axl, as he too gets a lot of shit. And I agree with Billy that it's sad more people don't buy albums and just get 3-4 from i-tunes.

Anyway, I really like Billy and the new album rocks.

I agree with Billy in that I support Axl's right to not attend but did not care for the self serving bitter way he went about it..

Then again does anyone really care what Billy has to say these days? and I say that as a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

In any case Billy was on Howard Stern this past Tuesady and gave a great interview on his childhood and why he broke up the original Pumpkins

It starts 1 hour 37 minutes and 44 seconds into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Cil_RkF_s

Edited by classicrawker