Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan Defends Axl Rose For Not Turning Up To Guns N' Roses Induction Into The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame

Guest Broskirose

I agree with Billy in that I support Axl's right to not attend but did not care for the self serving bitter way he went about it..

Then again does anyone really care what Billy has to say these days? and I say that as a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

In any case Billy was on Howard Stern this past Tuesady and gave a great interview on his childhood and why he broke up the original Pumpkins

It starts 1 hour 37 minutes and 44 seconds into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Cil_RkF_s

With all due respect, no matter how he went about it, it would've been perceived by some segment to be self-serving for the mere fact that he did not give what so many hoped for: a GN'R reunion even if presence only.

Ali

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Someone who wears trendier clothes than you do.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for wearing plaid, chucks, and a beanie

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for wearing moccasins, strange glasses, and a deep v-neck shirt

2. Then you apply this to giving off a vibe of stuck-up-ness - when compared to you.

Example: Kid A calls Kid B a hipster for listening to music he hasn't heard of and not being into football

Kid B calls Kid C a hipster for playing a moog synth, hanging out in coffee shops with a laptop and scoffing at bands like Metallica

It's a silly word.

3. Kid B and Kid C beat the shit out of Kid A for being an overrated hipster trash album

CoolFace.png

what is a hipster?

In relation to music, hipsters are kids who don't basically don't like some music because its mainstream. They listen to indie music, are arrogant based on my experiences, and act like they are different from everyone else and 'cool' because they like things that are underground that most people don't. Only my opinion

what is a hipster?

In relation to music, hipsters are kids who don't basically don't like some music because its mainstream. They listen to indie music, are arrogant based on my experiences, and act like they are different from everyone else and 'cool' because they like things that are underground that most people don't. Only my opinion

So how is that different than punk?

Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan Defends Axl Rose For Not Turning Up To Guns N' Roses Induction Into The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame

In an interview with Becko from Triple M, Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan has defended Axl Rose's no-show for Guns N' Roses' recent induction into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

"I appreciate the position Axl was in and why he didn't wanna go. I think he felt like he was being set up. He was wise not to go because he would've come out [looking] like a spoil-sport. He didn't want to play nice with the old team. And he obviously has his personal reasons," said Billy.

"Also, the minute he gets up on stage with the original band, then everything else he does that isn't that… it's almost as if he's trying not do something and he's not been doing it for many years. So i can understand why Axl didn't want that put on him."

Billy said fans need to recognise that things change and people change.

"You can go on YouTube and watch a clip of Guns N' Roses from 1988 and go 'wow, what a great band. I wish they'd get back together'.. that's a good thing. But it doesn't address the reality that was a long time ago."

Billy went on to have a go at the hipster phase going on in music.

"Oh my God!" he exclaimed. "If I could legally kill some people it would be hipsters. For us old farts, how have the people with laptops taken over? I'll follow Angry Anderson into a foxhole anyday but I won't follow some nerd with a laptop," he smiles.

Glad to see Billy still calls it as he sees it.

The Smashing Pumpkins new album Oceania is out this Friday, June 22.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news/blog/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-defends-axl-rose-for-not-turning-up-to-guns-n-roses-induction-into-the-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame/20120620-gjuw.html

I like Billy, he has the Chicago sarcastic attitude that can rub people the wrong way, but some of the things he said, he does come across as a blowhard.

Billy's been working on back catalog stuff, and that's the one area that he's keeping up on that Axl isn't.

But it also comes down to GNR being inducted first time up, when others still haven't been inducted, or it was on multiple attempts. I still think if it wasn't for Madonna, the Stooges wouldn't have been inducted a year or two later. Very cool on her part to have done that.

Maybe Nazareth should've done a GNR set.

I agree with Billy in that I support Axl's right to not attend but did not care for the self serving bitter way he went about it..

Then again does anyone really care what Billy has to say these days? and I say that as a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

In any case Billy was on Howard Stern this past Tuesady and gave a great interview on his childhood and why he broke up the original Pumpkins

With all due respect, no matter how he went about it, it would've been perceived by some segment to be self-serving for the mere fact that he did not give what so many hoped for: a GN'R reunion even if presence only.

Ali

He would have caught a lot less shit if he had sent a simple no thank you earlier then he did IMHO..by waiting until the last second and lashing out like he did he made it about him when it really is a night for the fans.........but I do agree he would have caught shit no matter what he did but he could have handled it more gracefully...........

what is a hipster?

When I think of "hipsters" , I think of Lenny Bruce or Jack Kerouac, more to do with jazz than esoteric music. This is just the "too cool for the room" types who try to use obscurity as leverage in a conversation.

It seems like if there's a dive bar or some small coffeehouse with someone up on a stage with a tip jar, or vinyl buyers, you'll find hipsters.

Ali

He would have caught a lot less shit if he had sent a simple no thank you earlier then he did IMHO..by waiting until the last second and lashing out like he did he made it about him when it really is a night for the fans.........but I do agree he would have caught shit no matter what he did but he could have handled it more gracefully...........

I honestly don't believe that. It's possible, but I think the anger would've been there because the fundamental reason for the anger and outrage from the fans would be unchanged regardless of how it was handled. People wanted a reunion, even if it was just being in the same room and accepting the award together. That was not given, hence the anger. I have seen many posts slagging Izzy for not attending, even though there was nothing remotely rude about his statement. So, I will have to respectfully disagree with you there, CR.

Ali

he's sort of become a big music industry troll. :lol: last week he said he was gonna "piss on fuckin' radiohead" and also tried to pick a fight with some other band recently...i forget who...

his new album is shockingly not terrible given the pumpkins' recent output (which was something less than stellar), and his points about axl are accurate in the sense that it's definitely the reasoning behind axl's decision, but...billy's a weird guy, and he could turn around next week and talk about pissing on axl and everyone praising him here now for supporting axl would suddenly be quick to point out what a joke he's been for the past decade or so.

he could turn around next week and talk about pissing on axl and everyone praising him here now for supporting axl would suddenly be quick to point out what a joke he's been for the past decade or so.

could/would/whatever - hasn't happened yet. It's a fair point if you can catch the people who do it in the event that they do it, if it happens.

To answer someone's question, Kurt Cobain was like the original "mainstream" hipster.

They wear stupid fucking clothes, they like t shit they think is anti-mainstream and counter-culture. They like indie rock.

http://www.neatorama...rap-500x668.jpg

So then you've redefined punk to hipster.

I still don't think you guys know what a "hipster" is.

Anti-mainstream is not hipster. Hipster is more about nostalgia. Looking vintage and etc.

what is a hipster?

I don't think hipsters are as much anti-authority. They dress nicer and tend to act more introverted. The people I know who identify themselves as hipster are people who try to be different in an 'I'm not like you' kind of way, mainly through music and the type of people they socialize with. It's a little like punk, but they don't act or dress outrageously.

To answer someone's question, Kurt Cobain was like the original "mainstream" hipster.

They wear stupid fucking clothes, they like t shit they think is anti-mainstream and counter-culture. They like indie rock.

Anti-mainstream is not hipster. Hipster is more about nostalgia. Looking vintage and etc.

Negative. Punk has a connotation of rebellion and not giving a shit about offending anyone. Hipsters are pseudo-intellectuals who try to be non-conformist in a very PC, pussified sort of way. The Kurt Cobain is a good example of the first mainstream "hipster"

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Negative. Punk has a connotation of rebellion and not giving a shit about offending anyone. Hipsters are pseudo-intellectuals who try to be non-conformist in a very PC, pussified sort of way. The Kurt Cobain is a good example of the first mainstream "hipster"

Funny, what you are talking about is Nihilism not punk. You have all different kinds. I can tell you the differences.

Hipsters are pseudo-intellectuals who try to be non-conformist in a very PC, pussified sort of way.

Negative. That defines Jello more than any other person on the planet.

Funny, what you are talking about is Nihilism not punk. You have all different kinds. I can tell you the differences.

Hipsters are pseudo-intellectuals who try to be non-conformist in a very PC, pussified sort of way.

Negative. That defines Jello more than any other person on the planet.

Punk's core values were rooted in rebellion (anti-establishment views), nihilism and not giving a shit about offending anyone. Are you actually trying to deny that?

Hipsters on the other hand embrace what is not mainstream, but are also ineffectual and PC.

what is a hipster?

It's more convoluted than that. What you must know is that 25% of hipsters profess to be Dj's. It was a growing concern in the back alleys of Wiliamburg Brooklyn a few years back. We used to call it "the hipster DJ phenomena".