RS: The Best Hair Metal Songs of All Time

Snowmass

There are a ton of great hair metal songs by 80's bands like Dokken "Its Not Love", Ratt "Dance", Cinderella "Push Push", Quiet Riot "Bang Your Head", Winger "17", Autograph "Turn Up the Radio" etc......

Edited by classicrawker

Guest Broskirose

There are a ton of great hair metal songs by 80's bands like Dokken "Its Not Love", Ratt "Dance", Cinderella "Push Push", Quiet Riot "Bang Your Head", Winger "17", Autograph "Turn Up the Radio" etc......

only one of those songs you named is decent

Edited by Broskirose

That is your opinion mate and whether you like them or not is irrelevant..............one great thing about hair metal is a lot of the music had great hooks.........

Edited by classicrawker

oh dear. Firstly why is Sweet Child 10th, and second, GNR aren't hair metal

My exact thoughts

My best guess is that since gnr isn't really hair metal, sweet child doesn't really qualify as the best hair metal song. The songs ahead of it encompass the hair metal label more, which does beg the question why even put sweet child on?

That is your opinion mate and whether you like them or not is irrelevant..............one great thing about hair metal is a lot of the music had great hooks.........

One "decent" song? "Seventeen" is one of the greatest hair metal tunes. It's so dirty. haha. "Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for ME."

"Turn up the Radio" is a jam too. I remember the demo (or original version?) I sometimes still hear on satellite today. "Turn up the tape machine ..."

Cinderella had some tracks too. B ut all the above names were true hair metal acts. Not Gn'R.

The only good songs on that list are the GNR ones. Def Leppard etc. make me sick.

Def Leppard is a GREAT band. They make you sick? Well, we all have our own opinions.

One of my favorites ... though I have a piano version that kicks the shit out of this one ...

One "decent" song? "Seventeen" is one of the greatest hair metal tunes. It's so dirty. haha. "Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for ME."

"Turn up the Radio" is a jam too. I remember the demo (or original version?) I sometimes still hear on satellite today. "Turn up the tape machine ..."

Cinderella had some tracks too. B ut all the above names were true hair metal acts. Not Gn'R.

The only good songs on that list are the GNR ones. Def Leppard etc. make me sick.

Def Leppard is a GREAT band. They make you sick? Well, we all have our own opinions.

One of my favorites ... though I have a piano version that kicks the shit out of this one ...

Love Def Lepperd! Here is one of my favorites which is actually a b-side from the Hysteria album so it did not even make it on the album that's how good that album was..it is on the Deluxe version of the album as a bonus track.........

Gn'R is hair metal. Anyone who says otherwise is just in denial. Don't lie to yourselves.

How?

Yeah, how? Based on a look in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video? The sound was nothing like their Sunset Strip counterparts.

Love Def Lepperd! Here is one of my favorites which is actually a b-side from the Hysteria album so it did not even make it on the album that's how good that album was..it is on the Deluxe version of the album as a bonus track.........

Never heard that one! Thanks. Def Leppard, say what you will, they have their own sound. I like the backing vocals in a lot of their stuff. That's when Gn'R were at their best as well, with the band providing backing vocals on songs like "Jungle." It's missing that element live.

Some of you people are so close minded when it comes to music.

Hair metal is just a label to emcompass a large group of bands during a specific era of music. Hair metal, hard rock, soft rock, pop rock, rock, etc.

GnR members had big teased hair and make-up when they first started doing videos. Who cares. It is only music. People get way too caught up in saying a certain band sucks, a certain type of music sucks, a certain era sucks.

Classic, I actually agree with you on Def Leppard. Though I suppose I'm in the minority in terms of my fandom. I absolutely loved them pre-Hysteria. Bringing on the Heartbreak, the entire Pyromania album.....I think they were one of the best hard rock bands around.

I really couldn't stand the hysteria era. Pour Some Sugar On Me is equivillent to the Nickleback type music of this era. IMO, they had the potential to be one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time - but then changed course and went for the pop success (Sugar on Me) type songs.

Once their popularity went on the downfall, then they started releasing some good songs again. Tonight was excellent, Slang had some good songs (and bad), and they put out some great ballads.

The Hair Metal Era gets bashed now by a lot of people.

But that decade of music had some great bands and some great songs.

For every Warrant there was a Cinderella. For every Poison there was a Dangerous Toys. For every Firehouse there was a Tora Tora.

Tesla is a great band. Tora Tora was a great band. Cinderella was a great band. Dangerous Toys were a great rock band.

And even some of the cheesiest hair metal bands had great songs that the general public didn't know about. Everybody can make fun of Heaven and Cherry Pie......but listen to Dog Eat Dog by Warrant from start to finish. Full of great rock songs. One of my 20 favorite albums of all time.

Warrant actually has some killer songs. Jani Lane was a nice songwriter. Gotta look past "Cherry Pie." "Stronger Now" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin" are killer. "I Saw Red." There are several. Later they had a couple records that blended some of the Seattle grunge sound into the "hair metal" stuff.