Why does Axl usually take the stage hours after the band is scheduled to play?

Madridista

Well, I saw the band in South America back in 2010 twice and Axl was late 4 hours the first time I saw them and close to 3 hours the second time. :shrugs:

what time did GNR take the stage at each show?

Name the shows/venues, as well

No

Yeah, NO! God, i'm starting to think Mysteron and MSL are really Jarmo and the wrestler is just a decoy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read most of the Why did Robin leave? thread, where it is clearly stated that Robin wasn't pleased with Axl taking the stage so late, as well as the biographies by the ex gunners, where that is a recurring theme too, I can't help but wonder why Axl does this.

it had nothing to do with robin leaving.

GNR rarely is scheduled to take the stage at a particular time, so it's impossible to take the stage hours after a time that was never scheduled.

when GNR does have a scheduled time, while they are often 30-60 mins late, it's very rare that they are hours late.

So because he only inconveniences the fans and keeps them waiting an extra half hour to an hour that makes it alright

Well, I saw the band in South America back in 2010 twice and Axl was late 4 hours the first time I saw them and close to 3 hours the second time. :shrugs:

No

Yeah, NO! God, i'm starting to think Mysteron and MSL are really Jarmo and the wrestler is just a decoy.

I'm pretty sure people from the GnR "camp" (I hate that term) stay away from here now a days.

I think he has major stage fright and can only get onstage when he's in the right state of mind and when he feels most comfortable

Yeah, Alan Niven said he had stage fright

Didn't Axl say to Eddie Trunk that on show days "things always happen" that are outta his control? And as a kid his school was behind his house and he couldn't make it on time often?

That "explanation" went on forever and really got away from the point. Even Trunk was like "...whatever"

Having read most of the Why did Robin leave? thread, where it is clearly stated that Robin wasn't pleased with Axl taking the stage so late, as well as the biographies by the ex gunners, where that is a recurring theme too, I can't help but wonder why Axl does this.

He's not stupid. He must know this affects both the band and his fans from a certain point of view.

Any reasons? Has he ever talked about this?

Just wondering :shrugs:

"Robin Finck [was] getting paid loads of money to hang out with Axl Rose and his house was getting paid for. You know what, fuck you." Trent Reznor, 2005

Couldn't serve two masters. 2008, Robin was back with Reznor to finish off with NIN's last tour.

Van Halen has less on their stage. They took 40 minutes to get on stage when I saw them.

GN'R took about fifteen minutes more, and they have way more equipment.

I don't give Axl a break about being late, but an hour between the opening band and the headlining band really isn't bad.

He takes the stage late b/c of a mix of stage fright, and I quote from the eddie trunk interview "the day of shows, shit happens! ppl get like add, they're making mistakes they shouldn't"... It's no secret Axl isn't the most mentallly put together, but Axl himself basically admits he's easily ticked off and if some1 does something that pisses him off, he gets pissy, and respinds by fighting back and not going on stage. Unfortunately, Axl doesn't realize he's just pissing off fans. Then again, they're the ppl who still buy tickets to GNR shows, so it goes both ways.

I do think Axl cares about the fans, but only to a point. I respect completely that it's his way or the highway, and if ppl don't like it, they can suck it. But at the same time, he's done very little to make it up to his fans. I love Axl to death, andf I side with him over Slash any day of the week, but he knows what he's doing, and he's a rebel. A rebel without a cause, can be a good thing, can be a bad thing.

Hell of a performer...but he let ego take over wayyyyyy too much. It's just a fact Axl himself cannot argue, hell ask madison! And I despised her with a passion..but consistently showing up late to shows, hell fans complain, the media complains, so u respond by continueing to piss people off?? You're doing it on purpose...

Again greatest frontman ever and I'll always support him...but who are we kidding, he's been figured out whether he likes it or not. He can read this and explode at beta all he wants, it's a fact there Billy Boy Bailey!

No its not bad if its an hour between the opening act and guns but speaking from experience with the particular shows that I personally attended it was more like anywhere from one hour and forty five minutes to three hours. At any rate anytime you are made to wait beyond a reasonable amount of time after spending 75-100 per ticket it is disrespectful and the American fans have made a point to let him know that with poor attendance numbers and people leaving in droves 5-6 songs into the set, on another note you have to give him some credit as it seems he is making some minor progress as of late.

I think he has major stage fright and can only get onstage when he's in the right state of mind and when he feels most comfortable

Yeah, Alan Niven said he had stage fright

Didn't Axl say to Eddie Trunk that on show days "things always happen" that are outta his control? And as a kid his school was behind his house and he couldn't make it on time often?

That "explanation" went on forever and really got away from the point. Even Trunk was like "...whatever"

He "explained" it for so long that it just didn't make sense & didn't even answer the question - he'd make a great politician. The only way to know for sure is to magically turn yourself invisible & go backstage to watch him - see if he's just watching tv, playing computer games or pacing around anxiously.

We saw guns in december and i was expecting a long wait, but they came on like 45 min after the opener maybe an hour it wasn't too bad. I bet it makes for great sales in the beer concession stand. I would prolly get restless if it turned into two hours though.

No

Why no? It's a legitimate question and deserves an answer.

I'm not defending the late starts (I don't think it does them any favors), but asking someone to name which show they went to when they said they walked out 3 or 4 hours late is a completely fair (and important) question.

They were about an hour (??) late when I saw them in Townsville, and the rough crowd (they were rough to begin with) were pretty irate by the time they took the stage. It was a shame, the vibe created before the show ended up killing it. The rest of the tour they were on early and the crowd was a lot warmer.

Shush, guys! It's Slash that's always coming late on stage, not Axl. (I recommend you not to talk this things about Axl, cause he might get pissed off, and your posts will mysteriously become invisible...)

It wasn't axls fault. Something always goes wrong the day of the show. It was most likely a bandmates fault or the manager or the venue or the limo driver or the sound man or the lighting technician or maybe the fans. The point is it wasnt axls fault and we should all know by now that he will be late after all this has been going on for 27 years and if we can't accept the fact that axl will be going on late then we should save our money and stay the fuck home.

It wasn't axls fault. Something always goes wrong the day of the show. It was most likely a bandmates fault or the manager or the venue or the limo driver or the sound man or the lighting technician or maybe the fans. The point is it wasnt axls fault and we should all know by now that he will be late after all this has been going on for 27 years and if we can't accept the fact that axl will be going on late then we should save our money and stay the fuck home.

A few times it can be an accident. When it's a running theme....come on man.