Why does Axl usually take the stage hours after the band is scheduled to play?

Madridista

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked this question a lot the first few years, had trouble wrapping my head around it. Everybody would just shrug. (And yes, direct sources). At first I thought there was some big secret or conspiracy, or that the people around him were so disconnected (they were), they really didn't know. But came to realize it was just too complicated to explain. Somebody did finally put it in one frustrated sentence once, and it suddenly came clear that there isn't really a short answer that makes sense. Now when people ask me, I find myself struggling to answer, and then I shrug. And I think back to all those other shrugs...

I asked this question a lot the first few years, had trouble wrapping my head around it. Everybody would just shrug. (And yes, direct sources). At first I thought there was some big secret or conspiracy, or that the people around him were so disconnected (they were), they really didn't know. But came to realize it was just too complicated to explain. Somebody did finally put it in one frustrated sentence once, and it suddenly came clear that there isn't really a short answer that makes sense. Now when people ask me, I find myself struggling to answer, and then I shrug. And I think back to all those other shrugs...

As other people have suggested, it's likely complicated because it's to do with mental and emotional problems that have never been addressed. That's actually unfair to say because he may have tried really hard to address them to no avail.

This last UK tour I decided not to bother with the queueing from morning to get on the front barriers everyday and to take non/casual-fans to see them but to just hang in a bar til 10:30, saunter in and still get 1/3 back from the stage. That's what we did and it worked a treat. It was relaxed and fun; the sound is a ton better than at the front you can take a piss and go to the bar and merch and still get your space back; you know you have time for a smoke when DJ starts his solo because that plus Sweet Child are over 10 minutes and when you get back you'll get Better.

If you accept they they wont be on til at least half 10, book the next day off work and treat it like a proper night then it's awesome. Most people going clubbing don't get started properly til after 11 and go til 3 or 4am. I'm not defending the insanity that has left Axl's reputation in tatters, i'm just saying you can make it work for you if you have time time and money.

Iit's not just stage fright. He's the same way with meetings, everything.

Didn't he even miss the final shooting of November Rain, went to the Dentist instead so the final scenes of him in the rain with the coffin were done separately? :rofl-lol:

As other people have suggested, it's likely complicated because it's to do with mental and emotional problems that have never been addressed. That's actually unfair to say because he may have tried really hard to address them to no avail.

This last UK tour I decided not to bother with the queueing from morning to get on the front barriers everyday and to take non/casual-fans to see them but to just hang in a bar til 10:30, saunter in and still get 1/3 back from the stage. That's what we did and it worked a treat. It was relaxed and fun; the sound is a ton better than at the front you can take a piss and go to the bar and merch and still get your space back; you know you have time for a smoke when DJ starts his solo because that plus Sweet Child are over 10 minutes and when you get back you'll get Better.

If you accept they they wont be on til at least half 10, book the next day off work and treat it like a proper night then it's awesome. Most people going clubbing don't get started properly til after 11 and go til 3 or 4am. I'm not defending the insanity that has left Axl's reputation in tatters, i'm just saying you can make it work for you if you have time time and money.

2 great posts :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Didn't he even miss the final shooting of November Rain, went to the Dentist instead so the final scenes of him in the rain with the coffin were done separately? :rofl-lol:

He's missed more than he's hit. The reasons may be overtly different (in terms of sometimes its intentional, sometimes its not), but the results are the same. He missed Don't Cry probably to the tune of a half million.

Edited by snooze72

Well, I saw the band in South America back in 2010 twice and Axl was late 4 hours the first time I saw them and close to 3 hours the second time. :shrugs:

what time did GNR take the stage at each show?

Name the shows/venues, as well

No

Why not??

They started in time last time i saw them live (La Plata Stadium, Buenos Aires 2011) and I was late because my plane was delayed so I missed the first 3 songs :(

The 3, 4 hours delay thing is bullshit, lie. If you consider the scheduled time, OK, but there are the opening acts, the crew setting up the stage, etc. He was late here in Rio - Bach left the stage at 11 p.m. and Axl got on stage at 1 a.m., so we had to wait two hours and that was abusive enough. That being said I KNEW they'd take at least 45 minutes to set up the stage properly. I noticed that after 30 minutes only a few crew members were there, most had left already, but after around 45 minutes noone was there. And then we were waiting for Axl, only for Axl. A few "Slash" and even "Bon Jovi" chants (OK, only one guy did scream Bon Jovi and we all laughed at him, lol!) but once The General (Concert opener) was played everyone went nuts.

The 3-4 hour thing isn't bullshit. Perhaps you are to young to remember the Guns/Metallica tour. Many people myself included can attest to the fact that axl has kept them waiting anywhere from 2-4 hours.

The 3, 4 hours delay thing is bullshit, lie. If you consider the scheduled time, OK, but there are the opening acts, the crew setting up the stage, etc. He was late here in Rio - Bach left the stage at 11 p.m. and Axl got on stage at 1 a.m., so we had to wait two hours and that was abusive enough. That being said I KNEW they'd take at least 45 minutes to set up the stage properly. I noticed that after 30 minutes only a few crew members were there, most had left already, but after around 45 minutes noone was there. And then we were waiting for Axl, only for Axl. A few "Slash" and even "Bon Jovi" chants (OK, only one guy did scream Bon Jovi and we all laughed at him, lol!) but once The General (Concert opener) was played everyone went nuts.

Yeah, it's bullshit. I imagined the whole thing :rolleyes: and so did everyone else on the venue that night.

Edited by Madridista

It's got nothing to do with stage fright, getting in the right state of mind, or any other cope out excuse like that. If that was the case he would prepare better and it wouldn't be so consistent. There's plenty of stories where he's not even at the venue at the scheduled start time let alone ready. He's just got mental problems which cause him to be an asshole even though he probably thinks it's totally fine. His explanation to Eddie Trunk was hilarious though. Somehow, in some obtuse extremely stupid way, it's Slash's fault. LOL!