What makes Kurt Cobain sooo great?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Nirvana. Could not disagree more with what was said about Kurt. MTV may have merchandized Cobain ad infinitum in the late 90s but the doesn't take away how talented he was. I find a lot of the criticism myopic and hypocritical. None of the criticism extended to the guy couldn't be attached to any of the others artists you liked. All music is based on fads. Grunge may have been in decline in the mid-90s but other music like Rock and Heavy Metal was doing far worse. No one expends as much time claiming The Sex Pistols are only famous because the bass player died. It's not like he's on Billboards everywhere and there's no CIA conspiracy to make him overrated. People legitimately liked his music and still do. Just because you don't doesn't invalidate their opinion.

I think people enjoyed listening to his music at one point in their lives but would rather move on and forget it once the teenage angst goes away. I often read a comparison between them an AiC and how AiC was underrated while Nirvana was the opposite. I've kind of moved on from both bands actually and can't actually even remember the angst I once had, anymore. Too old now. I still listen to Nirvana now and then. People moved on from Punk music too, and you didn't have to hear people whining about how they weren't really popular as claimed.

Kurt introduced a genuineness and humility you don't really see in music anymore. Too bad he's gone.

I love Nirvana. Could not disagree more with what was said about Kurt. MTV may have merchandized Cobain ad infinitum in the late 90s but the doesn't take away how talented he was. I find a lot of the criticism myopic and hypocritical. None of the criticism extended to the guy couldn't be attached to any of the others artists you liked. All music is based on fads. Grunge may have been in decline in the mid-90s but other music like Rock and Heavy Metal was doing far worse. No one expends as much time claiming The Sex Pistols are only famous because the bass player died. It's not like he's on Billboards everywhere and there's no CIA conspiracy to make him overrated. People legitimately liked his music and still do. Just because you don't doesn't invalidate their opinion.

I think people enjoyed listening to his music at one point in their lives but would rather move on and forget it once the teenage angst goes away. I often read a comparison between them an AiC and how AiC was underrated while Nirvana was the opposite. I've kind of moved on from both bands actually and can't actually even remember the angst I once had, anymore. Too old now. I still listen to Nirvana now and then. People moved on from Punk music too, and you didn't have to hear people whining about how they weren't really popular as claimed.

Kurt introduced a genuineness and humility you don't really see in music anymore. Too bad he's gone.

No, Kurt introduced being a politically correct feminazi into music. I don't see how people who claim to love bands like GN'R or The Stones or Aerosmith could love Nirvana. Nirvana was bent on destroying rock music, was bent on destroying music which had any non-politically correct elements. Kurt wanted the music industry to basically be stripped of anything fun, sexist, what have you. Basically, he wanted to rip the balls off of Rock N' Roll. People laud him as some great poet but at the end of the day he just wrote random shit which was mostly heroin induced. He was as I said the original hipster, and the combination of pop hooks, simplistic guitar/songwriting with a rock music sound had already been done by The Beatles. Nirvana and Kurt were nothing new, though he tried to promote himself as such and claimed to be. The only reason he was lauded was because the media trumped him up as the spokesman for a generation which really got fucked over. He embraced this role while claiming to deny it, which made him seem humble and real, and the kids, looking for their generation's version of John Lennon, ate it up. And then he decided to quit the music business and go underground and blew his head off and became some larger than life legend when in real life he was a bit of a pretentious art school twat.

No, Kurt introduced being a politically correct feminazi into music. I don't see how people who claim to love bands like GN'R or The Stones or Aerosmith could love Nirvana. Nirvana was bent on destroying rock music, was bent on destroying music which had any non-politically correct elements. Kurt wanted the music industry to basically be stripped of anything fun, sexist, what have you. Basically, he wanted to rip the balls off of Rock N' Roll. People laud him as some great poet but at the end of the day he just wrote random shit which was mostly heroin induced. He was as I said the original hipster, and the combination of pop hooks, simplistic guitar/songwriting with a rock music sound had already been done by The Beatles. Nirvana and Kurt were nothing new, though he tried to promote himself as such and claimed to be. The only reason he was lauded was because the media trumped him up as the spokesman for a generation which really got fucked over. He embraced this role while claiming to deny it, which made him seem humble and real, and the kids, looking for their generation's version of John Lennon, ate it up. And then he decided to quit the music business and go underground and blew his head off and became some larger than life legend when in real life he was a bit of a pretentious art school twat.

yeah exactly he wrote pop songs for whiny 14 year olds

Kurt wasn't the master of the universe. The feminazi sentiments you are criticizing was the overall paradigm shift to the present. If you don't agree with his politic perspective then that is a different issue and reflect nothing up on his musicianship. I myself am against abortion and follow Christianity. Kurt was very vocally pro-choice and even had his life threatened over it at a time. He had an interview with the advocate when calling someone a person had a completely different meaning (I myself cannot believe the definite of the word had changed so much over time). He was a very brave soul to believe it what he believed in and stand up for it. Most other people would be cowards. Financially he would have been better off doing things less punk but you don't give him any props for that. You really don't want to like him do you.

There is a tremendous arrogance when one accuses something of being overrated. It implies that others aren't intelligent enough to decide what music they like so that the respect they get is disqualified. Or, you are implying that there is conspiracy to artificially inflate the importance of the music for commercial or esoteric academic reasons. I don't like Lil' Wayne (Krist Novoselic does!). A lot of people like Lil' Wayne. I don't spend time criticizing Lil' Wayne much less even thinking about him. If you have to go out of your way to extend how much you to dislike the music to others then there must be some other motive which I'll assume is pure jealousy.

The cartoonish description of Kurt as villain towards Rock N' Roll makes me wonder why I am even replying to your post. He was just a musician and the best description of Kurt really comes from those who actually knew him rather than the writers that became famous for writing about him. The primitive musicianship is something to be admired. I listen to his cover of Season in the Sun all the time. Just because you think you can formulize the way he wrote his music doesn't mean you can dismiss it. I think your cupcake posts have a certain formula to them as well.

I was against my friend buying the CD when I was in high school because I only liked them when they first came out and thought the omnipresence of Kurt memorabilia on MTV was mind-numbingly negative and depressing. These days though, I understand the frame of mind people had in liking and listening to his music when you encounter trials and tribulations. I had a rough day at work and listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit, one of my least favorite Nirvana songs. It felt good listening to it then. Music is just music. If you think other music you don't like is overrated then you are just trying to rationalize the fact that other people that aren't you happen to rate them well. I think a lot of the resentment people have for Nirvana comes from their own fans that resent their weak and depressive personalities they held as teenagers. It doesn't matter to me. I like Nirvana and would recommend them to anyone.

"Don't smoke".

Edited by WillieC

Cobain was a very talented songwriter, great ear for melody. Even if you don't like his music, you have to at least respect that he wrote a couple of albums that a lot of people loved when they came out and still love today

However as an individual, he was most certainly a pompous, hypocritical pseudo-intellectual who was obsessed with his counter-culture image (which was extremely calculated and carefully crafted). His political/social views expressed in interviews were incredibly shallow, simplistic, black and white to the point that they bordered on comically naive. His attempts to portray himself as "different" and the methods he used were painfully obvious and transparent. Musically, he's overrated due to several factors, one being his suicide, two being that he just happened to be the one who wrote the hit that led to the grunge/alternative breakthrough. It could've just as easily been AIC, STP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc.

Cobain was a very talented songwriter, great ear for melody. Even if you don't like his music, you have to at least respect that he wrote a couple of albums that a lot of people loved when they came out and still love today

However as an individual, he was most certainly a pompous, hypocritical pseudo-intellectual who was obsessed with his counter-culture image (which was extremely calculated and carefully crafted). His political/social views expressed in interviews were incredibly shallow, simplistic, black and white to the point that they bordered on comically naive. His attempts to portray himself as "different" and the methods he used were painfully obvious and transparent. Musically, he's overrated due to several factors, one being his suicide, two being that he just happened to be the one who wrote the hit that led to the grunge/alternative breakthrough. It could've just as easily been AIC, STP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc.

i agree with you for the most part if eddie vedder blows his brains out in 1991/1992 he reaches the godlike status of cobain. cobain was one of the phoniest people on the planet you could see right through him.

Cobain was a poser. Like others have said - his entire image was so contrived that it was borderline pathetic.

You don't say that you hate the spotlight and then do every MTV and Rolling Stone interview that's offered to you.

A fraud. A phony. A fake.

Are there a handful of Nirvana songs that I enjoy? Sure, but let's not make Kurt out to be the messiah of songwriting. The majority of his lyrics were drug induced rants that make zero sense. Please, enlighten me as to what "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is supposed to be about?

Nirvana will forever be the single most overrated band of all time, and Kurt will always be the poster boy for everything that has been wrong with rock music since 1991.

"I'm so edgy and hip - I don't want to be mainstream - LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Gimme a break.

Cobain was a poser. Like others have said - his entire image was so contrived that it was borderline pathetic.

You don't say that you hate the spotlight and then do every MTV and Rolling Stone interview that's offered to you.

A fraud. A phony. A fake.

Are there a handful of Nirvana songs that I enjoy? Sure, but let's not make Kurt out to be the messiah of songwriting. The majority of his lyrics were drug induced rants that make zero sense. Please, enlighten me as to what "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is supposed to be about?

Nirvana will forever be the single most overrated band of all time, and Kurt will always be the poster boy for everything that has been wrong with rock music since 1991.

"I'm so edgy and hip - I don't want to be mainstream - LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Gimme a break.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Guest Len B'stard
No, Kurt introduced being a politically correct feminazi into music. I don't see how people who claim to love bands like GN'R or The Stones or Aerosmith could love Nirvana.

Well see in the way you listen to something then you like it and, horror of horrors, you're into them. Complicated isn't it? And exactly what is a feminazi?

Nirvana was bent on destroying rock music

It was dead long before they got there.

Kurt wanted the music industry to basically be stripped of anything fun, sexist, what have you. Basically, he wanted to rip the balls off of Rock N' Roll

So, to your mind, sexism is the measure of whether you do or do not have balls? Y'know how you keep making posts about having trouble getting with girls? I think i just diagnosed your shit.

People laud him as some great poet but at the end of the day he just wrote random shit which was mostly heroin induced.

How do you know? What proof do you have of that? Also, you show a distinct lack of understand of the drug heroin if you think people can get smacked up to their eyeballs and write, especially addicts how have been at it for the relatively short space of time that cobain was. But nevermind all that, lets just have an answer to that simple question, how do you know that most of the writing that Kurt did was under the influence of heroin. MOST. As in at least over 50 percent, show me the CCTV hook up, show me the fuckin spies reports that you have that were watching Kurt Cobain in his element, writing songs while mainlining, i wanna know this shit, explain it to me.

And also, what you appear to be saying is that heroin has the ability to make one into a great poet. Do you realise how stupid you've sounded so far? Good, lets continue.

He was as I said the original hipster, and the combination of pop hooks, simplistic guitar/songwriting with a rock music sound had already been done by The Beatles.

:rofl-lol: SOOO...The Beatles had already meshed a rock music sound with pop hooks and simplistic songwriting, yeah? It's called rock n roll dear, look it up, fuck me, you go on about it enough :lol:

Nirvana and Kurt were nothing new, though he tried to promote himself as such and claimed to be.

No he didn't, he called them derivative and pop music, he even wrote a song called Aero Zeppelin specifically and categorically slagging of Nirvana and bands of the like for being a rehash, what you're saying is just plain bullshit.

The only reason he was lauded was because the media trumped him up as the spokesman for a generation

Yeah, well who else do you expect to do that job you thick cunt, thats what the medias for, thats what they do, thats what they BEEN doing since the fuckin Beatles and Elvises day, what you think everyone that gets into some shit or buys into it does it cuz they're part of some fuckin underground circuit, how is it that 99% of the people on this message board heard of Guns n Roses? Cuz the media trumped them up, just like any other fuckin band that goes overground in a huge way.

And then he decided to quit the music business and go underground and blew his head off and became some larger than life legend when in real life he was a bit of a pretentious art school twat.

yeah, Kurt Cobain, High School dropout has suddenly become an art school student, now you're just plain making things up :lol: You've literally pulled that out of the sky.

The long and short of it, and it's written all over every single post you make when you mention Kurt Cobain, is that you just cannot deal with the fact that Kurt Cobain is rated in a way you wish Axl Rose was and wish he could've been and you and people like you forever hold it against Kurt Cobain because he basically made it so Axl Rose was redundant, although many would argue he was long beforehand.

You're honestly one of the saddest bastards i've ever come across, everything about every one of your posts is so obvious and so transparent, you go from saying you think Cobain was good and you respect him as an artist to you hate him and he's a feminazi every other day, you claim to hate Nirvana and Cobain and then you have like, supposed intimate knowledge about the songs, the albums, when and how they were written, how the band was recieved, all of this shit...all to do with a band you claim to despise. I've literally watched you slowly collate information over a while on this board just to justify your hatred for a band. I mean, have you any idea how pathetic that sounds? You slag off Cobain for being a hipster and yet your posts are peppered with shit like "what about the double denim look?" or "will i look good in a fedora hat" or "should i get a tache?"...and you're having a pop at Cobain for being an image projecting hipster?!?! Not that i'm even calling you a hipster, they wouldn't fuckin have ya :lol: But such an indictment coming from you is quite frankly laughable.

You go on about Kurt being a hipster and exclusive and then you're like "i don't see how fans of Guns n Roses can be fans of Nirvana too" and it's like, get a fucking life man, it's just fuckin music, maybe it's that the people who listen to both do so because all they're interested in is music and less about projecting an image of like, OK, Nirvana = left wing socialist rock and Guns n Roses = good ol' fashion ring wing conservative American values. Maybe they don't give a shit, maybe they just care about passionate soulful music and less about your political dick measuring contest.

Edited by sugaraylen

You can't really listen to the media image of Kurt. Everything's blown out of proportion. If you believe the media Axl is a racist, wife beating asshole. That's how he got portrayed in the mid 90s. Kurt was protrayed as the sensitive hippy. The media is pretty reactionary.

It was dead long before they got there.

Rock in it's various forms was the dominant genre of music, or perhaps the second biggest next to dance, when Nirvana came on to the scene in the early 90s. Rock was going strong all throughout the 80s and early 90s and then it got it's balls ripped off by Nirvana and you had all the post grunge bands.

So, to your mind, sexism is the measure of whether you do or do not have balls? Y'know how you keep making posts about having trouble getting with girls? I think i just diagnosed your shit.

No, it's not. What I'm saying is is that he helped to emasculate rock music. Stripped it of the "fun" aspects of it and turned it into angsty shit. Should all rock be about strippers, sexist shit and having a party? No, but it also shouldn't be all about how life sucks and teenage depression either.

yeah, Kurt Cobain, High School dropout has suddenly become an art school student, now you're just plain making things up :lol: You've literally pulled that out of the sky.

I know the guy dropped out of high school. I'm talking about in terms of his pseudo intellectual sort of demeanor, he just reminds me of all the arrogant art school indie people I've met, who are so cool because everything they like is underground.

The long and short of it, and it's written all over every single post you make when you mention Kurt Cobain, is that you just cannot deal with the fact that Kurt Cobain is rated in a way you wish Axl Rose was and wish he could've been and you and people like you forever hold it against Kurt Cobain because he basically made it so Axl Rose was redundant, although many would argue he was long beforehand.

You're honestly one of the saddest bastards i've ever come across, everything about every one of your posts is so obvious and so transparent, you go from saying you think Cobain was good and you respect him as an artist to you hate him and he's a feminazi every other day, you claim to hate Nirvana and Cobain and then you have like, supposed intimate knowledge about the songs, the albums, when and how they were written, how the band was recieved, all of this shit...all to do with a band you claim to despise. I've literally watched you slowly collate information over a while on this board just to justify your hatred for a band. I mean, have you any idea how pathetic that sounds? You slag off Cobain for being a hipster and yet your posts are peppered with shit like "what about the double denim look?" or "will i look good in a fedora hat" or "should i get a tache?"...and you're having a pop at Cobain for being an image projecting hipster?!?! Not that i'm even calling you a hipster, they wouldn't fuckin have ya :lol: But such an indictment coming from you is quite frankly laughable.

You go on about Kurt being a hipster and exclusive and then you're like "i don't see how fans of Guns n Roses can be fans of Nirvana too" and it's like, get a fucking life man, it's just fuckin music, maybe it's that the people who listen to both do so because all they're interested in is music and less about projecting an image of like, OK, Nirvana = left wing socialist rock and Guns n Roses = good ol' fashion ring wing conservative American values. Maybe they don't give a shit, maybe they just care about passionate soulful music and less about your political dick measuring contest.

Axl Rose made himself redundant after being in hiding for a decade. And as Kurt Cobain said, paraphrasing, Axl Rose's role had been played many times in rock before. Axl Rose was never going to be on the same level as a Cobain. It's like comparing Morrison to Lennon. Both mega talented big figures of their eras but one was a musical revolutionary just by himself, the other was just a wild rockstar. It's like comparing apples and oranges really. I just think Nirvana's music was way overblown even in comparison to the other "Grunge" bands, I think people like Eddie Vedder and Layne Stanley were equally as talented as Kurt but don't get nearly as much credit because they didn't die while still at their peak, or die n a horrid manner, and that Kurt was made into something even he himself didn't want to be, at times seemingly embracing the role and other times claiming to disown it. I don't hate their music or even Kurt, but I do hate the IMAGE of Kurt Cobain, the overblown legacy and deification and whatnot of him as some sort of messiah, like he was the most talented musician to ever walk the Earth, the cult of personality, and I do hate the effect that they had on rock music. I also don't respect him for committing suicide given that he had a young daughter but that is a separate issue. But I actually like Nirvana's music a lot, I have their entire discography on my Ipod and love listening to them, I just feel that their impact, originality and overall greatness was vastly overblown by the media. Kurt the person seems to have been really interesting if quite douchebagish but I don't hate the man, I hate the image and cult of personality and whatnot. And the image of Kurt Cobain that the media credited I think was a bit far from the truth of the person, as the media is wont to do with celebrities.

As far as myself, I don't consider myself a hipster and never have. I tend to like things hipsters also tend to like, but it's more of sheer coincidence than anything else and I've always been into old fashioned things or ways of dressing etc, I'm eccentric. I'm not ironic though, I don't like the things I like in that ironic douchey hipster way; I feel Kurt did in some ways, that he had a lot more in common with them than I do.

I said I don't see how Guns fans could be big fans of Nirvana too given that Kurt made it that way. Being a Guns fan and being a Nirvana fan--on equal levels--it's like being a Conservative and a Liberal equally as much, the best analogy I can give it. It's two different modes of thinking. GN'R was old fashioned rock n' roll, take no prisoners, Nirvana was politically correct and very 1990s. Kurt himself proclamed that Nirvana fans couldn't also be GN'R fans. He himself said clearly you could NOT be fans of both. That's Kurt's own words, not mine. And I just think die hard Nirvana fans, the kind of people who love the shit Kurt loved or think along the same lines as him, that sort of thing, would just hate GN'R by default since GN'R in particular is everything Kurt/Nirvana claimed to be against musically and otherwise. It's like a Socialist proclaiming that Ronald Reagan was the best President ever.

I think that Nirvana became bigger because they went down better around the world. Pearl Jam and AIC sound really American. Whereas Nirvana Seemed like they could be European. They were very sarcastic etc.

For example on the day She's so High by Blur went no. 1 in the UK indie charts Kurt n Courtney were at this tiny underground club to see the show in London. I doubt ud find Layne Stanley or Eddie Vedder in that situation.

They really fit more in with Brit pop than the more metal grunge bands. I mean Evert True that journo sold Nirvana through NME and MElody maker as THE grunge band like The pistols were the punk band. They were way cooler than Soundgarden who were seen as like Iron Maiden.

That's just how the media or those magazines controlled everything.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard
They really fit more in with Brit pop than the more metal grunge bands. I mean Evert True that journo sold Nirvana through NME and MElody maker as THE grunge band like The pistols were the punk band.

If you go back and read the early initial articles around the time of the tour of europe to promote Bleach they're complimentary about Nirvana but kinda as an after-thought compared to bands like Mudhoney and Soundgarden. But yeah, eventually Everett just became their fuckin prostelytising disciple.

They really fit more in with Brit pop than the more metal grunge bands. I mean Evert True that journo sold Nirvana through NME and MElody maker as THE grunge band like The pistols were the punk band.

If you go back and read the early initial articles around the time of the tour of europe to promote Bleach they're complimentary about Nirvana but kinda as an after-thought compared to bands like Mudhoney and Soundgarden. But yeah, eventually Everett just became their fuckin prostelytising disciple.

Kurt was kind of under the wing of that Buzz from The Melvins. He was kind of in awe of Mark Arm and Thurston Moore. It seems like they were training him up for the big time. But he sort went across to the dark side.

I think when She's so High came out he was with Courtney so Nevermind was out. Nevermind is the perfect NME album indie pop rock. It wasn't just hairy angry Americans. Kurt came over more punk Beatles.

I thinks why he felt guilty. Bands like Screaming Trees, Mudhoney never got the money. Although blew it with Piece of Cake is willfully tuneless.

Sonic Youth tried with Dirty but Kurt just looked cooler than them.

Edited by wasted