Breaking News: Jerry Sandusky has been convicted of 45 / 48 counts of child sexual abuse

gunsguy

SANDUSKY CONVICTED OF 45 COUNTS

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was found guilty on Friday night on 45 of 48 counts related to sexual abuse of boys over a 15-year period.

Jurors delivered the verdict around 10 p.m. after deliberating for about 21 hours.

Sandusky's case gripped the nation and led to the dismissal of a legendary coach and one of America's highest-paid university presidents, while his trial included gripping and at times graphic testimony from his victims.

During closing arguments, prosecutors described the ex-Nittany Lions defensive coordinator as a pedophile who preyed on victims using a charity he founded for troubled children, repeatedly abusing young boys in his care.

Sandusky, 68, had pleaded not guilty to the 48 charges of child sex abuse that spanned a 15-year period.

His defense sought to poke holes in the prosecution's case throughout the trial, such as pointing to inconsistencies in the testimony of Mike McQueary, a former graduate assistant who testified that he witnessed Sandusky apparently sodomizing a boy in a university shower.

Defense attorney Joe Amendola reminded jurors of the lack of physical evidence in the case, accusing the alleged victims of conspiring for financial gain, while also blaming the media for what he described as biased coverage.

Lead prosecutor Joseph McGettigan rebuffed those arguments, telling jurors that "the commonwealth has overwhelming evidence against Mr. Sandusky."

In a bombshell announcement Thursday evening, Matt Sandusky -- one of Jerry Sandusky's six adopted children -- said through his attorney that he was sexually abused by the former Penn State assistant football coach, adding that he had been prepared to testify against him.

Legal analysts say the accusation could bring additional charges, including incest charges, against the former coach.

The broader scandal led to the November firing of iconic head football coach Joe Paterno, the dismissal of university president Graham Spanier and brought charges against vice president Gary Schultz and former Athletic Director Tim Curley for perjury and failing to report the abuse.

During grand jury testimony, Paterno said that he was told by a graduate assistant that Sandusky was in the showers "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

The Nittany Lions' head coach, who died on January 22 after a career that had him widely credited with bringing the program to national prominence, reported the incident to his superiors but did not inform police, the school's board of trustees said in a report that explained Paterno's firing.

"We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno," the trustees said.

That decision prompted rioting from Penn State university students, overturning a news van and clashing with police, who used tear gas break up the crowds.

After a week of testimony, during which time witnesses graphically described sexual encounters with Sandusky that they said occurred durijng their boyhoods, jurors made their decision without ever having heard from Sandusky on the witness stand.

If the former coach had testified, prosecutors could have potentially submitted as new evidence a November television interview he had with NBC sportscaster Bob Costas.

FULL story:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/justice/pennsylvania-sandusky-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

--------------------

i hope he does not enjoy the large objects that are about to fill his rectum. that would be tragic.

hopefully they also beat the shit out of him just in case :thumbsup:

Large objects? I was thinking knives because that's usually whats used if your anus is too small. I think it would be more ironic, not tragic, no?

Paterno never should have been fired.

I grew up a Penn State fan, and my family worshipped Joe Pa, and I can't agree with what you said. He could have done more. Had it been one of his own children or grandchildren, I would think he would have done more. He died with regrets, at least I hope he did. In my mind, his legacy will be forever tarnished. Shame, because he was one of THE best.

Sandusky's wife disgusts me almost as much as he does. They're both the lowest forms of human beings, and they'll each pay the price.

I grew up a Penn State fan, and my family worshipped Joe Pa, and I can't agree with what you said. He could have done more. Had it been one of his own children or grandchildren, I would think he would have done more. He died with regrets, at least I hope he did. In my mind, his legacy will be forever tarnished. Shame, because he was one of THE best.

Sandusky's wife disgusts me almost as much as he does. They're both the lowest forms of human beings, and they'll each pay the price.

To be fair, yes, on a moral level, maybe he could have done more. However, he did what was required to by alerting his superiors, and in the end, they are the ones who covered things up and didn't go to the police. They were wanting him out for years, and they used this to force him out. I do believe he had regrets, but he shouldn't have been fired. That man died of a broken heart. As far as his legacy, well only time will tell if this will have a long term effect. I personally don't think it will....

I wonder what Mrs. Sandusky thinks about the fact that his own son was willing to testify against him. She's got to start facing the truth at some point.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

To be fair, yes, on a moral level, maybe he could have done more. However, he did what was required to by alerting his superiors, and in the end, they are the ones who covered things up and didn't go to the police. They were wanting him out for years, and they used this to force him out. I do believe he had regrets, but he shouldn't have been fired. That man died of a broken heart. As far as his legacy, well only time will tell if this will have a long term effect. I personally don't think it will....

I wonder what Mrs. Sandusky thinks about the fact that his own son was willing to testify against him. She's got to start facing the truth at some point.

Exactly. The only thing that this whole experience has taught me about Joe Pa is that he ate, slept, breathed, and lived football. He did what was required of him by law, he didn't cover shit up. Sandusky is the lowest of the low, anyone else think the only reason he even adopted children was to fuck someone?

Come on, you are better than this. The man died of cancer. He made a big mistake by not alerting the police and deserves to be held accountable.

If anyone should have gone to the police, it's Mike McQueary as he was a firsthand witness. I don't understand why people think this should fall on Paterno's shoulders? If he had witnessed the abuse firsthand, or did not report what was told to him by McQueary to his superiors, then yes, I'd say he was completely in the wrong.

Yes, I know cancer is what's listed on his death certificate. But honestly, I think without Penn State he just gave up. That was his life. I always thought he'd die right there on the sideline. But to be unceremoniously ousted from a place he gave his blood, sweat, and tears to for the majority of his life broke him.

If Joe Pa was as disturbed about the whole thing as most people were, you'd think the lack of action the administration took would have disturbed him more. I think at the end of the day he was more concerned about protecting the good name of Penn State

Come on, you are better than this. The man died of cancer. He made a big mistake by not alerting the police and deserves to be held accountable.

If anyone should have gone to the police, it's Mike McQueary as he was a firsthand witness. I don't understand why people think this should fall on Paterno's shoulders? If he had witnessed the abuse firsthand, or did not report what was told to him by McQueary to his superiors, then yes, I'd say he was completely in the wrong.

Yes, I know cancer is what's listed on his death certificate. But honestly, I think without Penn State he just gave up. That was his life. I always thought he'd die right there on the sideline. But to be unceremoniously ousted from a place he gave his blood, sweat, and tears to for the majority of his life broke him.

This may be the first time I disagree with you unfortunately.

Should McQuerery have done more-absolutley. The dude completely pussied out and I hope he struggles with that every single day for the rest of his life. However, should Paterno have done more-absolutley. The man WAS Penn State and had the position, the power, and quite frankly the duty, to have done more. Sandusky was under his reign, this wasn't and English Lit teacher from somewhere else on the campus, this was his man, in his territory, on his watch. He didn't need to witness it personally, he had a reliable source who gave him the information. And he did the absolute bare minimum. He reported it to an administrator and then went about his business. For 8 YEARS! It's sickening. This was a man whose motto was about Honor. Unfortunately he lost some of his.

He himself admitted he should have done more. Of course, he admitted this only after he was fired. Too late at that point, but I do hope at the very least, he meant it.

To be fair, yes, on a moral level, maybe he could have done more. However, he did what was required to.

Bollocks! If he knew what was going on and he didn't make absolutely sure the guy was prosecuted then he was complicit and got off lightly! He should not only have been fired he should have been fucking tried as an accessory! :shrugs: