SCOM live

Guest GHS

What live SCOM version we have recorded that gets the closest to the studio version? I'm only considering Axl's voice here. I guess he only ventured the continued chorus (WOOOOooooooooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhwwwwoooaaawooowww) in '86 concerts. And what about the "soft rasped" voice, with some clean (but very different from nowadays) timbers? I always thought that SCOM is the song that Axl sounds the most different than the studio version.

Question 2: Is there any record of the first version of SCOM played live (Whiskey a Go Go, I think...)?

Thanks!

What live SCOM version we have recorded that gets the closest to the studio version? I'm only considering Axl's voice here. I guess he only ventured the continued chorus (WOOOOooooooooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhwwwwoooaaawooowww) in '86 concerts. And what about the "soft rasped" voice, with some clean (but very different from nowadays) timbers? I always thought that SCOM is the song that Axl sounds the most different than the studio version.

Question 2: Is there any record of the first version of SCOM played live (Whiskey a Go Go, I think...)?

Thanks!

May I suggest you personally watch every single live video & choose the top 3 for us to vote on? :rofl-lol:

He's done it so many times over so many years.

Have you googled the first version? Going that far back to the first time they did it live it's quite likely it wouldn't be recorded - unless you know for sure it was. Hope someone can find it for you. :thumbsup:

Marc Canter have it (audio & video), but not share it, for obvious reasons...

The only song that surfaced from that show is Ain't going Down the only live performance of that song.

This IS NOT the first version, this is from the Music Machine 1986. 09.13

A quick look showed up some video on youtube, however some seem to dispute whether it was Whiskey a Go Go as the title said. SCOM wasn't on it & there are also some Hollywood Rose videos which look like they came from last year just to confuse things even more.

Marc Canter have it (audio & video), but not share it, for obvious reasons...

The only song that surfaced from that show is Ain't going Down the only live performance of that song.

This IS NOT the first version, this is from the Music Machine 1986. 09.13

Great find, sung quite a bit slower here.

I like this version here:

holy shit, that voice is night and day compared to UYI tour, never mind today.

I didn't understand you exactly. Do you mean that Axl is singing better or worse than older times in this '87 show I posted?

I like this version here:

holy shit, that voice is night and day compared to UYI tour, never mind today.

I didn't understand you exactly. Do you mean that Axl is singing better or worse than older times in this '87 show I posted?

he means that is Axl's best period vocally on SCOM

Edited by Motivation

It's sad in a lot of ways Axl couldn't sustain the vocals he had goin' on around that period (1986). He was on fire. But who could possible harness that forever? I think Axl's worse periods vocally have been early part of 2000s and today actually. 2006 he was back.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

This song was never really good live. I think it's because the album version was so extremely perfect, so when you compare to that, it just comes across as weak live. Same with Estranged. They both sucks live in comparison to the album versions.

This song was never really good live. I think it's because the album version was so extremely perfect, so when you compare to that, it just comes across as weak live. Same with Estranged. They both sucks live in comparison to the album versions.

Isn't it like that with any song though? Unless you hear the live version first, then the album version doesn't seem as good.

Don't think I've even heard Estranged on an album - only the live versions & I love it. Will I be disappointed hearing the recorded version?

If The World I heard live over & over so when I first heard that on their album it kind of sounded "empty" .

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Isn't it like that with any song though? Unless you hear the live version first, then the album version doesn't seem as good.

Don't think I've even heard Estranged on an album - only the live versions & I love it. Will I be disappointed hearing the recorded version?

If The World I heard live over & over so when I first heard that on their album it kind of sounded "empty" .

I think you misunderstood me. Estranged and Sweet Child O' Mine are magically perfect on the album. They are really boring live in comparison to that.

Most songs are better live than on the albums, in my opinion, but these two are the GNR songs that I think are way better on the album than they ever were live. If you haven't heard all GNR songs on the albums, I suggest that you take a listen to them.