"No one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought I'd know better."

Tyler Drama

"No one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought I'd know better." What does this mean? No one told Axl that he was alone? Or was there something that they chose not to tell him, specifically when he was alone? I've listened to this song hundreds of times and still do not understand what this line means.

Edited by GNRSkidRow1

I gotta agree, it's kinda obtuse. Some of the big reviews said it was one of Axl's best songs and sets of lyrics wheras I think it's a tad 'spoon, moon, goon' compared to Twat and Prostitute.

He probably doesn't want us to know what it means or, as with Sorry in the chats, would deny it's specific to anything. Its obviously about a bird. I'll take an obvious stab: it's about Seymour and it means nobody had the nerve to tell him when it was really over whilst he was in denial and stopped inviting people to his Hallowe'en parties.

Edited by Jordan Rose

It's about being in love, and how nobody told him about the perils and heartbreak associated with trying to keep a relationship going. "When I was alone" is before he w in a serious relationship, then "just his luck [He] fell in love" with someone he "should have known [was] crazy".

It's not better, it's Betta, or however the fuck you spell her name. I'm more interested in wasting my time writing this than looking it up.

People just thought that he had someone like her instead of him needing them. That's how I interpret it.

Fucked if I really know though, I'm not a big fan of the song.

Kind of Estranged Part II, no? No one ever told him before he got into the relationship how it was gonna be. They just assumed he'd know better than to fall in love, or to fall in love with her. I'm not sure which one was the bigger offense now that I think about it.

"Better" is about an impossible love. I join Amir's opinion.

Unless "When I was alone" is for after his relationship, and therefore no one comfort him after the break, they thought he knew why this love is impossible .. Whilst he was alone and ignorant.

So "Now I know you better" (with time, he realized why this love was impossible).

"No one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought I'd know better." What does this mean? No one told Axl that he was alone? Or was there something that they chose not to tell him, specifically when he was alone? I've listened to this song hundreds of times and still do not understand what this line means.

ask robin finck. he wrote those lyrics 2 better

Did he really ?

Did he really ?

nope

finck6 just trolling as always

Did he really ?

yeah. better is a robin song. robin writes the lyrics 2 better. and does the magical riff and solo of better

Edited by finck6

Did he really ?

yeah. better is a robin song. robin writes the lyrics 2 better. and does the magical riff and solo of better

Songwriters: W. Axl Rose;Robert John Finck

Edited by Crash Diet

Did he really ?

everybody knows robin finck co-wrote better with axl rose. there is no john finck

Did he really ?

everybody knows robin finck co-wrote better with axl rose. there is no john finck

All lyrics were written by Axl.