Whatever happened to playing IRS live?

Screamin' Demon

Good riddance if it's gone, that's all I have to say.

It's a godawful song innit?

Do you like ANYTHING GNR has done since 1991?

Anyway DJ not being able to pull off Robin's parts can't be the reason? I'm sure if he rehearsed it more it would not be an issue?

IRS used to be a setlist staple in 2006-2007....strange they stopped playing it.

IRS is actually one of my favorite songs off of Chinese Democracy and for awhile, it was a top 10 GN'R song. :lol:

Haters gonna hate! The lyrics are debatable, but the music is catchy and cool as hell. It reminds me of The Garden -- a solid tune that people always seem to find problems with that I myself can't find. Oh, well. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Anyway, IRS, Dead Horse, and Perfect Crime are the songs I actually want to see the most come into the setlist (barring You're Crazy, which will probably return soon since Used to Love her is apparently back :thumbsup: ). I would add Oh My God to the list, but I don't think I wanna hear the song in the current state of Axl's vocals. I mean, I think Axl could pull off IRS and Perfect Crime with full-on rasp the way he does Jungle (I don't think he would do it with Dead Horse, come to think of it...), but OMG? It's too intense.

Whoops, sorry for the tangent!

Anyway DJ not being able to pull off Robin's parts can't be the reason? I'm sure if he rehearsed it more it would not be an issue?

IRS used to be a setlist staple in 2006-2007....strange they stopped playing it.

No it's not. That song is awful. :lol:

To answer your question, yes I do like some stuff off Chinese Democracy. Better, This I love, Shacklers. Its a fairly good album. I loved it right when I bought it, but overtime, I realized it wasn't that great of an album.

No it's not. That song is awful. :lol:

To answer your question, yes I do like some stuff off Chinese Democracy. Better, This I love, Shacklers. Its a fairly good album. I loved it right when I bought it, but overtime, I realized it wasn't that great of an album.

I always liked IRS live in 06 and 07 was awesome

Edited by Haters Gonna Hate

this is what happened... skip to the 1:00 mark... axl can't sing this song anymore

in axl's defense, he was apparently having monitor issues... anyway he's obviously out of breath

That first verion of IRS he sounded like a cat that was being tortured.

Well, let me put it like this: DJ still butchers The Blues ... and that song is always played!

I fuckin' love IRS, but I agree there's just no way Axl can sing it right now. There's barely any pause between the verses, it's way too much for him right now. 2006 IRS is one of my dream live songs.

I think it's cause Axl usually remains still when he sings it, and its never been a big hit with the crowd, axl uses a lot of energy for the song, but its wasted on this song if the majority don't really know it.. I loved it, one of my highlight songs, but i'm just one guy in the 12,000.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

If you read my post where we rate CD, you'll see that I like four songs on the album.

I also liked most of TSI and I didn't really mind Sympathy For The Devil, even if it wasn't close to being as good as the original.

But the only part he butchers is the bending before the end of the solo, but to be honest Robin fucked up that part as much...

I basically didn't check out The Blues anymore after DJ took over, but due to this IRS discussion here, I checked out the performance in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Axl sounds pretty good, but once DJ starts the solo, it all goes down the drain. I also hardly ever check out Better performances anymore. The only Robin solo DJ doesn't butcher seems to be This I Love - but only because he changed most of the parts he used to butcher in the beginning. So let's face it: DJ can't play Robin's solos. Only if he plays his own solos, he can pull those songs off. Didn't DJ also screw up TWAT when it returned to the live shows a couple of weeks ago? And TWAT was never heard of again ever since ...

But the only part he butchers is the bending before the end of the solo, but to be honest Robin fucked up that part as much...

I basically didn't check out The Blues anymore after DJ took over, but due to this IRS discussion here, I checked out the performance in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Axl sounds pretty good, but once DJ starts the solo, it all goes down the drain. I also hardly ever check out Better performances anymore. The only Robin solo DJ doesn't butcher seems to be This I Love - but only because he changed most of the parts he used to butcher in the beginning. So let's face it: DJ can't play Robin's solos. Only if he plays his own solos, he can pull those songs off. Didn't DJ also screw up TWAT when it returned to the live shows a couple of weeks ago? And TWAT was never heard of again ever since ...

DJ constantly fucks up This I Love, you haven't heard many performances I suppose. He hardly hits all the notes and when he does it's not always very accurate. I do like his This I Love solo, but only when he doesn't fuck up, because it is such a beautiful song with a beautiful guitar solo. Fact is that when he tried to play Finck's version he fucked as bad as a bed guitarist trying to learn the song and that was a total trainwreck. That being said you are right - he fucks up The Blues, but the only bit I find really weak is the bending before the end, because the whole solo sounds great to me. Robin himself fucked up that part often so that's not an issue. Regarding TWAT, it wasn't as bad as people said, but it wasn't as good. Ron could handle all of Robin's solos much better but DJ needs the spotlight as well as lead guitarist. I just wish he could at least play the solos accurately.

Robin altered Slash's solos and in most cases made them more beautiful. Just check out November Rain at Rock in Rio 2001. Best November Rain performance to this very day - at least in regards to the guitar solos.

@Bruno:

I guess, in regards to This I Love (except for the early performances when he tried to pull off Robin's solo 1:1 and redefined "epic fail"), we can only agree to disagree, cos since DJ changed the solo to match his limited guitar skills, he's been doing okay most of the times. This I Love is probably the song I check out the most ... always hoping for a surprise performance by Robin :xmasssanta:

Robin altered Slash's solos and in most cases made them more beautiful. Just check out November Rain at Rock in Rio 2001. Best November Rain performance to this very day - at least in regards to the guitar solos.

The 1st and 2nd solos, yes, they were the very best to date. I never liked how Robin himself changed the way he played the 2nd solo and how Rich took over and played the 1st, but he does a good job. The final solo is a different thing though.

@Bruno:

I guess, in regards to This I Love (except for the early performances when he tried to pull off Robin's solo 1:1 and redefined "epic fail"), we can only agree to disagree, cos since DJ changed the solo to match his limited guitar skills, he's been doing okay most of the times. This I Love is probably the song I check out the most ... always hoping for a surprise performance by Robin :xmasssanta:

But he fucks up This I Love on a constant basis. Watch RIR's performance for further details. :tongue2:

I heard IRS at a few shows in 2010, and all I need to say is that it was awesome. It totally rocked! Would love to see it on the setlist again someday. As well as TWAT, Prostitute, IFW and Catcher. But hey, they can't play everything... Some songs have to be left out, that's life :blink: