The Meaning of 'Sorry'

Jordan Rose

When has Adler been credited with telling Axl to shut up and sing?

Just on this point, other members of the band said that is the way Steven and Matt would approach him. It doesn't seem like the whole song is directed at Steven but that part certainly doesn't exclude him.

When has Adler been credited with telling Axl to shut up and sing?

Just on this point, other members of the band said that is the way Steven and Matt would approach him. It doesn't seem like the whole song is directed at Steven but that part certainly doesn't exclude him.

Interesting, thanks. But that still suggests it's at least directed at the alumni, not record company/management guys as the poster before you said. Back up that assertion with a lyric that could imply that!

Man, I used to assume it was about Slash, then I realized the whole song fits Adler to a tee.

He was probably vague about it in the chats because he doesn't want to get some stupid Adler driven lawsuit in his mailbox.

For Slash, see "Prostitute".

I think Adler was and is more of an annoyance to Axl than someone who played mind games. Adler seems the type to take cheap shots when someone pisses him off. Plus his mom took Axl to court, and Axl would prob. make some sort of "mama's boy" comment in the song.

We really don't know how manipulative Slash is or isn't, because people who meet him or talk to him say he's the nicest guy, down to earth, etc.

Ask Slash's first wife Renee what she thinks.

Matt's also said plenty in the press over the years, and I don't know if Axl likes Matt "representing" himself as GNR. Song could be about him as much as Adler or Slash, but don't think Sorum said anything to create venom or hatred.

Edited by dalsh327

long post

You tell them stories they'd rather believe

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

I guess that line points to someone who likes to tell stories.

Who are the numb and naive Axl speaks of ?

If it is Slash, then Axl views fans as numb and naive

-

If it is about Slash. Sorry Axl, but I do believe Slash more than you. In Axl's eye's that would make me numb and naive.

My view is, without Slash the world wouln't know about Axl Roses,

and Mr Rose might possibly have ended up pump gas at a station, assuming he would handle the 9-5 :D

-

If Axl says its not about Slash, then maybe he could spill the beans as to what the song is about, rather than who its not about.

You seriously think Axl wold have "ended up pump (sic) gas at a station", if it wasn't for Slash? I guess his voice; amazing lyrics and stage performances were all put together by Slash... you're such an obvious cupcake, try harder, you're embarrassing yourself.

Lol!

The best thing about GN'R's back catalogue is the guitar work from Slash. Slash makes all those records what they are. That's the reason they are played on the radio to this day. Thats the reason Axl pays hired hands to cover Slash's work. Chinese Democracy is a white elephant no radio station bothers to entertain. Once Slash quit the band, Guns N'Roses was over.

Man, I used to assume it was about Slash, then I realized the whole song fits Adler to a tee.

He was probably vague about it in the chats because he doesn't want to get some stupid Adler driven lawsuit in his mailbox.

For Slash, see "Prostitute".

You gotta be kidding? There's some stuff in Prostitute relating to fame but surely it's directed to a woman? Affections, love, up to no good. How do you shoehorn Slash into that.

As for Adler, i'll quote Bluenoze from earlier replacing the name Slash with Adler: "I certainly don't believe that Axl would be that full of emotion, he would sit down and write a song about Adler. It makes him seem like some kind of possessed freak."

Quote me some lines and explain how they fit Adler? Where's the reference to him shooting up Axl's missus? Where's the references to drugs, firing him...anything?! When has Al even mentioned Adler except briefly in the chats? When has Adler been credited with telling Axl to shut up and sing?

I think it's more how Alder has spouted his mouth off in all of the many, many interviews over the years. Blaming Axl for all his demons instead of taking reponsibility for his own situation. Don't ya think all that shit talk pissed off Axl over the years? Also, selling your soul can most definitly refer to how deep into the drugs he had allowed himself to sink. And in the grand scale of things, people care about Slash and his body of work far more than they care about what the fuck Steven is doing with his career, no? Also, Steven has made no secret of his desire to play with original GNR, but Axl giving in was never really an option.

As far as P-tute goes, I can remember at least one time where Slash(and Duff?) said Axl was difficult, but that he still loved him. Love isn't always the romantic type,

Hope this clarifies my viewpoint a bit.

You seriously think Axl wold have "ended up pump (sic) gas at a station", if it wasn't for Slash? I guess his voice; amazing lyrics and stage performances were all put together by Slash... you're such an obvious cupcake, try harder, you're embarrassing yourself.

You have to stop freaking out at people who don't see things your way.

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

-

If it is about Slash. Sorry Axl, but I do believe Slash more than you. In Axl's eye's that would make me numb and naive.

and Mr Rose might possibly have ended up pump gas at a station, assuming he would handle the 9-5 :D

-

If Axl says its not about Slash, then maybe he could spill the beans as to what the song is about, rather than who its not about.

The only job we know he had was a manager job at Tower Video, but it was a "biding time" job conveniently close to the clubs. Doubt he'd be pumping gas unless he was still playing in bands and didn't want to give up on dreams of stardom. He prob would've moved somewhere else, esp. when Nirvana took off. Might have given it a try in Chicago or Boston for all we know.

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

-

-

Lol!

The best thing about GN'R's back catalogue is the guitar work from Slash. Slash makes all those records what they are. That's the reason they are played on the radio to this day. Thats the reason Axl pays hired hands to cover Slash's work. Chinese Democracy is a white elephant no radio station bothers to entertain. Once Slash quit the band, Guns N'Roses was over.

:thumbsup:

my friend's 8 year old said 'sorry for you, not sorry for me' the other day when we were trying to get him to apologize for throwing his sister's food on the ground. is it possible that axl was inspired to write this amazing lyric after hanging out with a misbehaving child? or is axl a child?

I always felt the line "i'll kick your ass like I said that I would" could refer to the incident on stage where Slash said "clothing change" or "cut his hand" and Axl come on stage and said "i'll kick your ass right now"

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

-

-

Lol!

LOL!!!

That must be why Slash is selling out arenas worldwide and not even entertaining the thought of club tours. Oh wait...

Also felt the "shut up and sing" part was referring to this:

Excerpt from MYGNR Axl chat #6

And I’m not talking change of styles or sounds etc. A lot of people bought that crap and me having gone in other directions seems to many to have verified that. Then you have the mind twisting equally as true horseshit in Slash’s book but I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

I always felt the line "i'll kick your ass like I said that I would" could refer to the incident on stage where Slash said "clothing change" or "cut his hand" and Axl come on stage and said "i'll kick your ass right now"

I know WE remember everything Axl says at concerts word for word, but would Axl remember all these things he said enough to include it in a song?

Was this before Sorry was written?

And I’m not talking change of styles or sounds etc. A lot of people bought that crap and me having gone in other directions seems to many to have verified that. Then you have the mind twisting equally as true horseshit in Slash’s book but I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Yeah because Axl didn't go into a different direction with Chinese Democracy with the layers, the over production, the sound effects, etc. Sorry Axl, I don't buy it. And if you have the rehersal tapes do everyone a favor and leak them - if you even laid down vocals which I highly doubt.

I know WE remember everything Axl says at concerts word for word, but would Axl remember all these things he said enough to include it in a song?

Was this before Sorry was written?

This happened in 92. I think this would stand out in both Axls AND Slashes memory as I don't think it was every day that Axl would call Slash out and threaten to kick his ass in front of twenty thousand fans lol. He also spoke about it later on in a magazine. On another note, it goes to show the pressure that was building between the two.

Yeah because Axl didn't go into a different direction with Chinese Democracy with the layers, the over production, the sound effects, etc. Sorry Axl, I don't buy it. And if you have the rehersal tapes do everyone a favor and leak them - if you even laid down vocals which I highly doubt.

Obviously there was a power struggle between the two. I think if they would have reached a compromise, Axl could have taken gnr to the next level, at the same time staying true to Slashes blues based rock. I think that combination is what helped make gnr great. After Slash and the others left, others were brought in, hence the new direction with Chinese Democracy.

e

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

-

-

Lol!

LOL!!!

That must be why Slash is selling out arenas worldwide and not even entertaining the thought of club tours. Oh wait...

Lets see what Slash is doing- He is selling out the venues he is booked in.

He is already along with Myles writing the new record while they are on tour.

He has his on record company and funds the music 100% up front so things must be working out for him finanically.

Lets see what Axl is doing- He is trying to fill up the bigger venues he is booked into. Mind you these are not any where near the size that Slash was helping him fill up.

He hires models to get in the fans way at the concerts

He is still scared of a Slash t-shirt

Oh and last but not least HE KEEPS FALLING DOWN! LOL

e

long post

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

-

-

Lol!

LOL!!!

Lets see what Slash is doing- He is selling out the venues he is booked in.

He is already along with Myles writing the new record while they are on tour.

He has his on record company and funds the music 100% up front so things must be working out for him finanically.

Lets see what Axl is doing- He is trying to fill up the bigger venues he is booked into. Mind you these are not any where near the size that Slash was helping him fill up.

He hires models to get in the fans way at the concerts

He is still scared of a Slash t-shirt

Oh and last but not least HE KEEPS FALLING DOWN! LOL

All true, I hope you weren't expecting an argument.

There are 3 more facts though.

1. Axl is playing to much larger audiences than Slash.

2. If Slash was the sole driving force behind the success of GN'R, as was claimed, his solo career would be doing much better.

3. People wouldn't be wanting a reunion to this day, if it was all Slash.