Would you like it if Axl removed Bumblefoot from the unreleased Chinese Democracy II tracks?

Randy Lahey

Without Ron, CD's verses would suck. Same for the solo. Plus, he added a lot to Catcher and Shackler's, IMO.

Yeah but it's bucket who playes the Solo on CD

Is it?

It's Bucket. Confirmed by Bumble in an interview not long ago. It's obvious it's Bucket even without the confirmation imo.

Without Ron, CD's verses would suck. Same for the solo. Plus, he added a lot to Catcher and Shackler's, IMO.

Is it?

the opening cd riff and cd solo is robin finck. not ron thal

Is it?

He's talking about the second half of the solo, right after Robin plays his, the second part is Bucket.

Is it?

He's talking about the second half of the solo, right after Robin plays his, the second part is Bucket.

He's aware of that. It's just how he cupcakes.

Everyone seems to be trying to quantify Bumblefoot's contributions to CD and the band with esoteric hyperbole, the bottom line is that his note selection does not suit my ears. Many people tend to agree, his work seems out of place, out of alignment with the notion of GNR. More so is that I feel there are better options than those presented by Ron. Nothing against him, I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife. Nice people, he's a good guitarist, he has excellent technical ability. I just don't like what he plays, especially what was done to the CD recordings by adding him.

What Ron added to Chinese Democracy made the song much better. I don't really know what other parts he's done. I never liked his solo in Catcher.

I've heard some of his solo stuff and I'm not into it at all, but I think he plays the GNR stuff great. So if he can bring the GNR style to the new record I'm all for it.

I don't mind Bumblefoot re-recording on some stuff...but I'd still like to hear how Bucket played the solos he replaced. We already know what Bucket's solo on Riad was like because of the 2008 Antiquiet leaks.

Some hoarders know what Buckethead's solo on Shackler's sounded like. Not me though, unfortunately.

Shitty thread.

Ron's contributions to CD are among my favourite parts. His solo and tapping on Shacklers brings the song to a whole other level - you know if Bucket did that solo he'd just mindlessly play a billion notes a second, at least Ron took the song and added to it, doing something different.

I also love his fretless work during the verses of Chinese, and his outro shredding on the final verse of Catcher is probably the best part of the entire album.

Like it or not, I think Ron is going to have a big presence on the next GNR album.

Edited by Towelie

i have always thought that Axl should never remove anything that was Bucket's unless it is with another Bucket track. And the same goes for Brain's drum tracks, cuz the way I look at it is, who really could do a better job at guitar and drum than them two? I think most would agree with me on this.

I really hope Axl doesn't needlessly mess with old songs for future releases just for the sake of getting current band members on them, to me that just does a disservice to those songs. If u want new band members to be on songs just write new ones with them.

Edited by amacfantasy

A funny thing is - most couldn't even differ Ron from Bucket when the album came out and a lot even claimed that Bucket did an amazing job on several tracks and that Ron would never be able to play the tracks live only to find out days, weeks later that Ron did the parts they were praising. I even remember how I was totally sure that it was Ron on several ocasions and several people (including some that are still around) said that I didnt know what I was talking about, that Ron never had the talent to play the Shacklers outro tapping or the Catcher outro. Funny how Randy himself loved the song immediately and praised it a lot and found out later that Ron played almost everything he heard...lol. I still laugh at it. Funny moments.

I believe I was the one who came up with the Elephant solo term. You are probably right about the outro solo, I do like that, and I don't mind his solo on Scraped either. That being said, his guitar solos on CITR and Shackler's are unforgivable.

Yes. You werent saying things like "Only Bucket can play like that, moron. I'll laugh at you when you hear Ron doing the track live and dumbing down the solo so he can play it", but others were.

Randy, yes. You came up with the Elephant Noise thing and it is funny. What's not funny is that both are extremely talented and could come up with amazing lead but you cant seem to give Ron any credits. If most heard a tapping lick or an extremely fast alternate picking lick they simply wouldnt be able to say who is who. Even Rich can play some wacky stuff and hearing boots through not so good recording makes it much harder to differ him from Ron. Thing is that they could outplay most virtuosos out there but you wouldnt even give him credit saying that he only can play Elephant Noises.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

He did do that sick rythmn part on Chi dem. which made the first play on radio cool. Didn't he do those background riffs on ITW too.

Maybe he needs to cool it with Dream Theatre solo. Maybe do some Kiss solos. He can probably play anything.

The Shacklers solo is insane but it's memorable too.