Would you like it if Axl removed Bumblefoot from the unreleased Chinese Democracy II tracks?

Randy Lahey

I would like to the band to release an EP of new material with the line up they have now.

I'm interested to know what it might sound like.

Regarding CD2 songs. If Axl intends to release them I wouldn't be suprised if Ron plays something on them.

I would like to hear CD2 songs in their original form but they would probably have to leak first.

I was going to mention an idea of having CD2 songs remixed with different solos by Ron and co.

Would you like it if Axl removed Bumblefoot from the unreleased Chinese Democracy II tracks? I don't think his contributions to CD warrant him being on the next album. The bad far outweighed the good with his contributions. The only contribution of his that I really like is the noise he makes after the Axl screaming part on Better.

well, it's a matter of opinion. I for one think that ALL of his contributions including the solo in CITR (which blows May's out of the water, has more flow to it..) raised significantlly the quality of all the songs where his input can be heard.

so my answer is NO. I don't want ron removed, infact, I want his presence more prominent

Is the entire Shackler's solo Bumblefoot? To me it really sounds like it's divided into two guitar players' solos - Bumble and Bucket, respectively.

All Bfoot yes. There's clearly two parts: one with a fretless guitar, one with a normal guitar. It's also all put together from a ton of takes like the rest of CD.

Without Ron, CD's verses would suck. Same for the solo. Plus, he added a lot to Catcher and Shackler's, IMO.

Yeah but it's bucket who playes the Solo on CD

Really? Always thought the second part was Ron. Never heard Bucket play that part live.

it's bucket, you can hear it on the distorted guitar tone and also that it involves a killswitch and whamy pedal. Ron didn't have a killswitch back then he got it later in one of his guitars to be able to play buckets parts better and he also rarly uses a whamy pedal because he has his fretless and his thimble instead.

Is the entire Shackler's solo Bumblefoot? To me it really sounds like it's divided into two guitar players' solos - Bumble and Bucket, respectively.

All Bfoot yes. There's clearly two parts: one with a fretless guitar, one with a normal guitar. It's also all put together from a ton of takes like the rest of CD.

Didn't the Shackler's solo got praised until everyone found out Buckethead did not do the solo?

Bumble also did Scraped and Riad. I prefer his Catcher solo and outro over Brian. This is not fucking Queen.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Not to come across as the hater I am constantly accused of being, but I hope Axl wont ever release another album with the new band. Regardless of whether it's Bumblefoot, Finch or Buckethead on guitar.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I have big doubts that anything with those people can be awesome. I have no faith in Axl's capacity these days either. He lost his touch and his voice has become weak.

I just hope once he retires or (hate to say this...) dies that all the CD sessions will get released. I'm hoping, really really hoping, that Bumble didn't get to replace much else besides on CD songs so we'll actually get to hear the guitarwork by the people who wrote the songs. Bucket wrote Shackler's, I want to hear Bucket do the solo. It's so strange to me to have some other dude walk in off the street and replace a part of a song that was played by the person who wrote the song.

So basically, I hope this new band either starts fresh and creates their own album or Axl at least keeps Bumble and DJ away from what's done already. I doubt they'll go into the studio ever again anyway so it's all good. Just please let my first sentence in this post happen someday, please!

Shitty thread.

Ron's contributions to CD are among my favourite parts. His solo and tapping on Shacklers brings the song to a whole other level - you know if Bucket did that solo he'd just mindlessly play a billion notes a second, at least Ron took the song and added to it, doing something different.

I also love his fretless work during the verses of Chinese, and his outro shredding on the final verse of Catcher is probably the best part of the entire album.

Like it or not, I think Ron is going to have a big presence on the next GNR album.

Interesting. The 3 songs you mention are my least listened to and therefore i'm not fussed about what Ron did to them. Twat, Sorry, Prostitute...that's my stuff. But you do make me feel less bothered about a lot of Ron on the next one.

Having never heard either Ron or Bucket before they joined Guns, i've got almost all the stuff they've ever done down to the really obscure stuff. My essential Bucket playlist of songs rated 4* or 5* runs to 89 songs. My Ron list runs to 13. I adore Bucket's melodic sensibility: his little signature notes you catch glimpses of in Twat, Nightrain, Coma. The Fairy and the Devil just blows me away. I've listendd to every Nightrain solo just to hear what he does each time and i've never heard one from Ron that, whilst technically great, just has no x-factor, if you will.

• 1 year later...

Everyone seems to be trying to quantify Bumblefoot's contributions to CD and the band with esoteric hyperbole, the bottom line is that his note selection does not suit my ears. Many people tend to agree, his work seems out of place, out of alignment with the notion of GNR. More so is that I feel there are better options than those presented by Ron. Nothing against him, I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife. Nice people, he's a good guitarist, he has excellent technical ability. I just don't like what he plays, especially what was done to the CD recordings by adding him.

I completely agree with this ^ Nothing against Bumble, seems a genuine guy, seems to understand the fans frustrations and he is a crackin' guitarist, but I don't like the majority what he added to the ChiDem tracks (the only part he added that I do like is his guitar immitation of the Better second chorus). The Antiquiet leaks (without the contributions of Frank and Bumble) to me is how I like to hear Chinese Democracy, and I hope if the remaining tracks from these sessions are released then they are left as they are. As for Frank, DJ and Bumble as recording artists I'd rather hear what they come up with in the current lineup in a recording environment than try and replace what was written and recorded by Brain, Robin and Buckethead.

I think what Ron and Frank added to CD sucked dick, and if possible any leftover material should be left unmolested.

I dread what DJ would add...

Having said that, I'm cool with them doing whatever it is they want to do on the album of material they write and record over 10 years or whatever ;)

• Like 1