Would you like it if Axl removed Bumblefoot from the unreleased Chinese Democracy II tracks?

Randy Lahey

Buggar off! Ron improved CD tenfold! the song CD kinda flopped around on the original, Ron gave it some balls. His contributions were what Axl wanted, who do you think authorized them to be on the final album. I think we have a more pressing issue... DJ Ashba will likely be on the next GnR album... that's a scary thought!

Shacklers is a really cool solo, yeah it's not 100% blues rock like a lot of you would prefer but Shacklers isn't a blues rock song, cool solo... a bit of a highlight of the album for me actually.

Should Axl tone down the overall shreddiness of the next album...? YES, keep some but use your ears, know when something is done and when you're cooking it for far too long.

Bucket is great and everything but he has zero in common with GnR, at the very least Ron's solo material has some similar characteristics. If there's anyone here who believes Bucket was going to write the next hit GnR song you're out of your Funking mind. Bumble is more suited in every way to GnR... and to my ears he's a better guitarist. Bucketheads contribution to CD... Scraped, Rhiad... two of the worst songs on the album, let's see what Ron contributes when he's given the opportunity to write material.

Buckets great... but my point is Bumblefoot is the better fit and made far more tasteful contributions to CD than Bucket. TWAT is obviously a quite tasteful solo.

I'm going to answer this a different way.

I think Bumble should not have added anything in the first place. Release the shit, then write some tunes with Bumble. But in the world of Axl, a song is not complete unless 20 people play on it.

As to the meaning behind the question posed in the OP, I don't mind Bumble adding his touch to songs. But if a song was ostensibly done, then all you're doing is making a "special edition."

• Like 1

I think the Shackler's solo might be the worst part of the entire album.

I really wanna know how the original Bucket Solo went. I'd even take a Finck solo over the video gamey solo that's on the album. When listening to it I think I'm a kid again playing sonic the hedgehog. I only like the last four seconds of it.

I guess the idea of CD was to blend different styles into something not AFD or UYI. Ron is a victim of circumstance. Certain songs like SOD, TWAT, Catcher some fans would have preferred in a UYI style. Maybe Chi dem Scraped with AFD production.

Axl tried to do a Queen album. Though he pretends to be a fan, it shows how little he knew about the band in fact. Queen was the sum of its 4 members, that's why they were so great, that's why their 70s albums are milestones.
All GNR studio albums blend different styles. CD was more the way AFD was done but the styles are more varied. People can pick out the drum loops or shredding solos more. But these are the elements that make CD. Otherwise it's just UYI.

CD is GNRs protools album. There have been great albums made with protools. Axl doing a Trent Reznor and blending all these styles is ambitious. To me it seems difficult to put Korn and Queen on the same album.

Although the whole idea has many pitfalls, I still enjoy the album for what it is. If GNR weren't going to make this no one would. No one gets the budget, only Axl has the grandiosity and talent to even pull it off at all.

So yes we know Axl can make UYI records or strip them down further. We could have had mediocre do overs of AFD/IYI forever. But as a one off this is something different that wont happen again. It's like an eclipse or something.

Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, that's fine.

Maybe with less budget they'll make something a little more normal next time.

It's kind of funny though, given that some didn't think Axl should use the name and all that, instead of Axl setting out to please those with a hard rock record he went and tried to express how he felt by reinventing the wheel.

I think Axls heart is in the right place as an artist for sure. CD is a genuine record, something special, not in a completely happy go lucky way high fives all round way, but kind of twisted and unique. It's sort of fascinating to me.

I have no problem with Ron, Frank and DJ doing whatever on their own material-but not the stuff from the CD sessions (like me having a problem means jack shit though)

And that's not even directed at them personally, even if it was Jake E Lee or some other guitarist I really like I still don't think it could turn out better than how the guys who wrote and created the songs played them.