Mickey Rourke dead (unconfirmed)

Bansidhe

Guest Len B'stard

It's life-affirming, it's a classic "go-for-the-oscars" ending, if it was depressing it'd've never cut it for the tubbys in the tuxes. It's not even approaching ambigious, from a filmmakers perspective it's purposely made for him to go out on a high note, doing what he loves.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Fuckin' hope not, thats one of few films lately that have come out that i have any time for, it'd be a shame to see them make a nause of it with a sub-standard sequel.

I never watched any of his movies and I probably won't any time soon.

Good. I wasted two hours on watching The Wrestles. It really sucked.

No way dude, it's pretty good. Barring the depressing ending.

Did we watch the same film, i thought the ending was quite positive.

? He dies.

Guest Len B'stard

? He dies.

Well firstly, no he doesn't, you don't actually see what happens and secondly, thats not the point, the point is he made peace with himself and faced his shit and took it on, thats kinda what the whole film is about, this guy whoose at the tail-end of his career and coming to terms with who he is and, by the ending, he has.

? He dies.

Well firstly, no he doesn't, you don't actually see what happens and secondly, thats not the point, the point is he made peace with himself and faced his shit and took it on, thats kinda what the whole film is about, this guy whoose at the tail-end of his career and coming to terms with who he is and, by the ending, he has.

It's pretty sad that the only option you have to make amends for everything is death, and it's insinuated that at the end either:

A: He dies unintentionally

or

B: He commits suicide for the show.

Either way I don't see how the end could be uplifting, I do think it was meant to have a sad ending.

Guest Len B'stard

? He dies.

It's pretty sad that the only option you have to make amends for everything is death, and it's insinuated that at the end either:

or

Either way I don't see how the end could be uplifting, I do think it was meant to have a sad ending.

Cool man, i guess thats the beauty of film that people take all sorts of different things from it but, basically, the way i see it is...OK, if you were to just straight film that ending, devoid of any sort of emotional prompting, it'd be sad, meaning on paper, in black and white, whats happening there is sad. But look at the way it's filmed, the cheers, the speechifying, all of it, it's all done that way for it to be uplifting. It occurs to me that if the ending was meant to be tragic the director wouldn't've made the desicions he made, right up to the music used for the end credits and the fact that you don't see him dying because the point of that whole thing was not him dying, the point was that he'd redeemed himself. Everything you see on screen is a choice or a series of choices by the director to convey a certain...thingie, nothing is there by accident and, i dunno, thats what i took from it.

But again, like i say, different interpretations and one ain't more valid than the other.

You don't see the death on screen but you see the redemption.

Edited by sugaraylen

? He dies.

or

Cool man, i guess thats the beauty of film that people take all sorts of different things from it but, basically, the way i see it is...OK, if you were to just straight film that ending, devoid of any sort of emotional prompting, it'd be sad, meaning on paper, in black and white, whats happening there is sad. But look at the way it's filmed, the cheers, the speechifying, all of it, it's all done that way for it to be uplifting. It occurs to me that if the ending was meant to be tragic the director wouldn't've made the desicions he made, right up to the music used for the end credits and the fact that you don't see him dying because the point of that whole thing was not him dying, the point was that he'd redeemed himself. Everything you see on screen is a choice or a series of choices by the director to convey a certain...thingie, nothing is there by accident and, i dunno, thats what i took from it.

But again, like i say, different interpretations and one ain't more valid than the other.

You don't see the death on screen but you see the redemption.

I get ya, the end leaves it for you to interpret what happens, but still find it pretty sad from my perspective....at least, what I can remember. It's been awhile since i've seen the film so my thought may be a little off about it. I just know that the end doesn't actually show him dying, but insinuates it like I said. I guess the only positive and high note of the ending is maybe how in his eyes he felt redemption like you said. But still, didn't wanna see redemption like that.

I still don't know who he is, even after looking up his wikipedia page. I'm trying to remember him in some sort of role, and I never was into boxing. But for some reason I've heard his name before. Well, good for him that he's not dead.

Oh common, ofcourse you have!

9,5 weeks, Wild Orchid, Harley Davidson and the Malboro Man, Sin City, the Werstler, Rumble Fish, Angel Heart etc.

He was so pretty when young! :wub: Allthough his looks are gone, he is still a great actor!

I still don't know who he is, even after looking up his wikipedia page. I'm trying to remember him in some sort of role, and I never was into boxing. But for some reason I've heard his name before. Well, good for him that he's not dead.

He is supposedely friends with Axl. So on this forum, his acting skills/career went from being a B level actor to being one of the greatest actors in history. Because he and Axl have hung out.

Guest Len B'stard

He is supposedely friends with Axl. So on this forum, his acting skills/career went from being a B level actor to being one of the greatest actors in history. Because he and Axl have hung out.

He's quite a rated character y'know, in the film world. When he was coming up there was lots of people trumpeting him as like, the next Marlon Brando or whatever, he's not just some yahoo B-movie actor, there's some cred' to this boy.

He's quite a rated character y'know, in the film world. When he was coming up there was lots of people trumpeting him as like, the next Marlon Brando or whatever, he's not just some yahoo B-movie actor, there's some cred' to this boy.

Exactly, he was not a B- movie actor in the '80! So don't be ridiculous Groghan.

Didn't even know they were friends. Not everybody knows all about Axl personal life. I already liked him in the '80 even before Guns became famous. Maybe he did play later on, after his 'boxing career' in a lot of B movies. But certainly not in the '80! In those days he was very famous on his own, nothing to do with who he knew. Indeed he was seen as the next Marlon Brando, unfortunately he couldn't handle all the fame and later on he started boxing again. But he was seen as a major promise. He also was gorgious and very sexy in the '80. To bad he ruined his face on boxing and surgery.

Edited by MBRose

Exactly, he was not a B- movie actor in the '80! So don't be ridiculous Groghan.

Didn't even know they were friends. Not everybody knows all about Axl personal life. I already liked him in the '80 even before Guns became famous. Maybe he did play later on, after his 'boxing career' in a lot of B movies. But certainly not in the '80! In those days he was very famous on his own, nothing to do with who he knew. Indeed he was seen as the next Marlon Brando, unfortunately he couldn't handle all the fame and later on he started boxing again. But he was seen as a major promise. He also was gorgious and very sexy in the '80. To bad he ruined his face on boxing and surgery.

I've been a fan of Rourke for years - didn't know he was friends with Axl.

His performance alone in The Wrestler should make you a fan, it so happens I think he's immensely talented and I'm pleased he's resurrected his career.

I didn't start liking Yoda because Axl was friends with her.

I've been a fan of Rourke for years - didn't know he was friends with Axl.

His performance alone in The Wrestler should make you a fan, it so happens I think he's immensely talented and I'm pleased he's resurrected his career.

+1

There's an "Inside the Actor's Studios" episode with him, wow man. He's just great. I love his acting.

Someone has some sand in his vagina over here.