Has the time come for Pitman to have his own solo spot

Guest Gunns

Where is the "Drink Motherfuckers" video i saw some time ago, that was interesting :rofl-lol:

I would like to hear a solo from Chris, maybe not a "solo", do it with other bandmembers, like DJ does for his spot

Because that's what the crowd would want, another solo by someone they know little about. The only people who are concerned about Pittman are people on the forums. I'm okay with solo spots to give Axl a break, and that's the only reason. The notion of giving each player a moment to themselves is rather pretentious when you consider the audience. They're there to be entertained, not to be educated as to who's in the band.

Drum solos generally suck, you'd never see a bass solo, Dizzy's solos are generally the slowest part in the set, why on earth would you include a synth solo?

Nothing against Pittman, but GNR should really be in the business of losing solos, not adding more.

Cheers,

Andrew

I have to say that you have become one of my favorite posters on here.

Your posts are always well thought out and evenly balanced.

I like that you are not a worshipper, you are not an Axl hater bitter ex-fan, etc.

You are like non-biased version of Ali.

Guest Gunns

NO. They've got enough solos with the 15 other band members Axl has. :lol:

obviously it would be best if Pitman's solo spot would replace or alternate with, one of the other 7 that there are.

It would be far more entertaining then watching the same solo spot that the other members have done for the last few tours.

Edited by Gunns

Do you even know who Chris Pitman is?

Of course I do. I'm insulted you would think otherwise.

You seem to have miscounted band members.

Can we trust you?

Edited by The Sandman

Guest Gunns

Do you even know who Chris Pitman is?

Of course I do. I'm insulted you would think otherwise.

You seem to have miscounted band members.

Can we trust you?

Never trust a female accountant :xmassrudolph:

Pitman added all kinds of kick ass stuff back in '02, even to older stuff like in that awesome video. 'Live and Let Die', 'You Could Be Mine', and especially 'Rocket Queen'. His role basically is relegated to next to nothing now. I'd be very curious to see and hear his actual stage set-up, I have a theory that in most songs, he's not even plugged in. I noticed at one of the UCAP shows I went to, he had this mic up there with him, that was just sitting on top of some speaker or something, I think that's all of the sound that he actually gets. I really don't even think he's plugged directly into the soundboard. Seriously.

Because that's what the crowd would want, another solo by someone they know little about. The only people who are concerned about Pittman are people on the forums. I'm okay with solo spots to give Axl a break, and that's the only reason. The notion of giving each player a moment to themselves is rather pretentious when you consider the audience. They're there to be entertained, not to be educated as to who's in the band.

Drum solos generally suck, you'd never see a bass solo, Dizzy's solos are generally the slowest part in the set, why on earth would you include a synth solo?

Nothing against Pittman, but GNR should really be in the business of losing solos, not adding more.

Cheers,

Andrew

I have to say that you have become one of my favorite posters on here.

Your posts are always well thought out and evenly balanced.

I like that you are not a worshipper, you are not an Axl hater bitter ex-fan, etc.

You are like non-biased version of Ali.

Thanks Groghan, much appreciated it and I have enjoyed your posts as well. I think it's great to have enthusiasm and be excited about a band or music that means a lot to you (hell, I've got a GNR tattoo covering my right bicep and tricep), but I've never felt like the object of my admiration is beyond reproach or constructive criticism. Actually, more times than not, I'm more critical of wacky notions like the one put forward in this thread (and also the one below) than I am the band. Ask anyone at a GNR show in 1988 if they'd want to hear a synth solo and you'd likely get your ass kicked.

Pitman added all kinds of kick ass stuff back in '02, even to older stuff like in that awesome video. 'Live and Let Die', 'You Could Be Mine', and especially 'Rocket Queen'. His role basically is relegated to next to nothing now. I'd be very curious to see and hear his actual stage set-up, I have a theory that in most songs, he's not even plugged in. I noticed at one of the UCAP shows I went to, he had this mic up there with him, that was just sitting on top of some speaker or something, I think that's all of the sound that he actually gets. I really don't even think he's plugged directly into the soundboard. Seriously.

Seriously, you can't be serious. Listen to songs like Street of Dreams, This I Love, Madagascar, Shackler's Revenge. Tell me how you port those songs to a live setting without at least two keyboardists? The answer is you can't. Hell, with all the layers going on in some of GNR's tunes it would likely take another two or three keyboard to accurately replicate what you hear on the album in a live setting. Along with backing vocals, there's a reason why they rely on tracks for some if not most of the songs played at a GNR song. The mic you're referring to was likely his vocal mic, most keyboard players (I was one in an active band for five years) connect to the soundboard through their amps directly using XLR outs. Sound is much more consistent if you can connect using XLR outs then put mics in front of the keyboard amps. Just because you can't see the wires directly coming out of his rig doesn't mean they're not connecting.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy