"We're getting ready to go back in to the studio" New Fortus Video

hitmanhart408

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and after the first interview where he talked about having spent time in the studio prior to RIR, he confirmed to me that they have plans of releasing a new record already this year, but that he makes no promises :)

He said that they want to release an album this year, but did you ask if it was a brand new album with new stuff or old CD sessions?

No, I am afraid he never said anything about whether it would be brand new music or old CD session music.

People seem to be too focused on the part about releasing this year, and not believing that part they sort of reject the fact that Richard also mentions going back into the studio. Yes, they probably won't release this year (or next year, I believe), but something is obviously happening and that is great news. It might not materialize in a new album in 2012, or 2013, or 2014, but they are now definitely working on a new record, and that in itself is reason to be happy.

it wouldn't, it's GNR first and foremost and probably it was never a completely set thing. If it's not finished then you're not really changing it. I feel like Dj is going to add a fresh song or two at least.

Sorry but anybody who takes this with more than a pinch of salt until Axl himself admits to having written lyrics and been in the studio to lay down vocals is either naive or hasn't been paying attention these past two decades. It's great that the band are in the studio recording and laying down ideas but this has happened time and time again in the past if testimony of past members is to be believed. Yes things seem a lot more positive now but until I see something concrete I've no reason to believe they're not just adding new parts to another instrumental with no lyrics or coming up with things to pass onto Axl that may or may not go any further.

This band clearly want to make a record and whether that's going to be a good or a bad thing remains to be seen but the sticking point is always going to be Axl. Until we hear it straight from the horses mouth then I simply can't get excited when I hear one of the hired hands talking about how excited they are to be writing and recording. I mean good for them but the ball's not in their court as to whether their efforts will ever see the light of day.

i'm completely in favor of DJ leaving his mark on the next record, just as bumble & frank did with chinese.

what i don't understand is people who think the next record should just be scrapped or rushed out and cast aside in favor of something written completely from scratch with DJ. axl, dizzy, tommy, richard, pitman (and to a lesser extent bumble & frank) worked very hard for a long time on a lot of songs we haven't heard yet.

they aren't "left overs" or "b-sides."

every indication has been that it's a separate record with songs that were made specifically for it. not simply what was left over after the "best of the bunch" were chosen for chinese.

For once we agree and I for one would much prefer to hear the material written during Robin and Bucket's tenure than what we could likely expect from the new line-up. The 99-2002(ish) line-up are kinda the great unknown quantity as far as I'm concerned. They were interesting and something genuinely different. The new guys I'll give the benefit of the doubt if and when they get to prove themselves but I'm far more excited about the older unreleased material especially if there's some stuff from the Oh My God/Silkworms sessions.

Edited by Dazey

I haven't seen anyone take this without a pinch of salt. We know there's a long way from working in the studio to actually releasing anything. But we also know they won't release anything if they aren't working in the studio (Tommy said more works need to be done on old material before it can be released). Hence this is good news. No, it is great news.

I haven't seen anyone take this without a pinch of salt.

That would include anybody speculating over release dates in my experience. Especially people saying they expect something in the next year or so.

Tommy said more works need to be done on old material before it can be released. Hence this is good news. No, it is great news.

It could be good news or it could be bad news. You could just as easily take from that statement that Axl is upto his old tricks and can't ever just finish off a song. I mean if you think how long some of this material has been in the works? I mean should it really still need work to be done on it after all this time?

Edited by Dazey

That would include anybody speculating over release dates in my experience. Especially people saying they expect something in the next year or so.

Tommy said more works need to be done on old material before it can be released. Hence this is good news. No, it is great news.

It could be good news or it could be bad news. You could just as easily take from that statement that Axl is upto his old tricks and can't ever just finish off a song. I mean if you think how long some of this material has been in the works? I mean should it really still need work to be done on it after all this time?

When a band member says they are working on releasing an album this year, and people expect something "in the next year or so", that IS taking it with a pinch of salt. Perhaps they should take it with more than a pinch, though :D

No, it probably shouldn't need more work, but it is how it is. If 1000 more hours of studio work is needed then it is good news that they are in the studio. Of course I would wish that the songs were already finished, but that is obviously not the case.

Again, the alternative to being in the studio and working on the next record is NOT being in the studio and NOT working on the next record. And if you are one of those that would prefer a new record, like me, in contrast to not getting a new record, then knowing the band is working to make a new record should be good news.

When a band member says they are working on releasing an album this year, and people expect something "in the next year or so", that IS taking it with a pinch of salt. Perhaps they should take it with more than a pinch, though :D

No, it probably shouldn't need more work, but it is how it is. If 1000 more hours of studio work is needed then it is good news that they are in the studio. Of course I would wish that the songs were already finished, but that is obviously not the case.

Again, the alternative to being in the studio and working on the next record is NOT being in the studio and NOT working on the next record. And if you are one of those that would prefer a new record, like me, in contrast to not getting a new record, then knowing the band is working to make a new record should be good news.

Oh I agree that it's great they're in the studio I'm just saying that in GnR world that doesn't necessarily mean we're any closer to seeing anything released. I got sucked in in 97 when Sympathy for the Devil came out, 99 with Oh My God, 2001 with the announcement at Rio, 2006 etc etc. Every time there was apparent progress we all dared to dream and it was another two years until CD finally limped out of the vaults, apparently against Axl's better judgement. I'm just saying that I've been on this merry go round for far too long to get my hopes up over anything but a concrete release date.

Oh I agree that it's great they're in the studio I'm just saying that in GnR world that doesn't necessarily mean we're any closer to seeing anything released. I got sucked in in 97 when Sympathy for the Devil came out, 99 with Oh My God, 2001 with the announcement at Rio, 2006 etc etc. Every time there was apparent progress we all dared to dream and it was another two years until CD finally limped out of the vaults, apparently against Axl's better judgement. I'm just saying that I've been on this merry go round for far too long to get my hopes up over anything but a concrete release date.

Yeah, I'm with you. The way I look at this is that it is a step in the right direction, nothing more. I have no idea how many steps are needed to get to our destination or how much rest will be needed by the guys before they get there, but at least they haven't stopped walking.

It could be 2000s all over again: a gruelling marathon trek through the wilderness with lots of getting lost and backtracking and with CD apparently looming in the near distance but being nothing but a fata morgana, or it could be that the destination is just around the next turn of the path. In either case, one necessary step has been taken.

I don't understand why people are so against DJ being on the new record. I mean, do you hate "Ballad of Death" and "Mi Amor" that much?

No, I don't hate them but I find them weak, indeed. And there's no indication as to we'll hear something similar to Ballad or Mi Amor if DJ was to write a song, so I don't know what to expect. Maybe something similar to Sixx:A.M., but with Axl's vocals and songwriting all over it... well, I don't know.

I don't understand why people are so against DJ being on the new record. I mean, do you hate "Ballad of Death" and "Mi Amor" that much?

Ballad of Death is great. Mi Amor is less so. I just think the Bucket and Robin lineup had so much more potential to do something genuinely different and I don't get that feeling with DJ and Bumble. Tracks like Silkworms and Oh My God though some people didn't like them were at least moving things in an interesting new direction.

Ballad of Death though I love it is very much in the vein of old school classic GnR and as much as I like it that doesn't excite me. I've also tried time and again to get into Bumble's solo material and I think I must have missed the memo cos it just leaves me cold. Great guy and an incredibly talented musician though but again nothing that makes me think to expect greatness from any lineup with his involvement.

Edited by Dazey

I'm sort of conflicted as to what I want to happen next.....

It would be sort of awkward if this band just released a new album and it was all/mostly buckethead/Finck/Brain songs because none of those guys are in the band anymore. Even more awkward would be if they included pictures of the current band but now I'm getting into small details... It seems like a waste since the old new band spent so long recording but that band doesn't exist anymore so it's box set, something else like that, or nothing. I don't think calling it a "new" GNR album makes sense at this point. Which sucks.

BUT I would rather hear THAT album than a new one with DJ and Thal so I don't know. Honestly, I don't care so long as they don't ruin already completed songs by slipping a Ron lick here, DJ riff there, etc.

EDIT: I forgot the main point though. Neither will happen. CD2 will never happen.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh