Buckethead and Robin are history, get over it and move on.

Towelie

It's getting tiresome reading all the fawning over BH and Finck on here lately (besides, isn't that what the Former Gunners section is for?).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BH's tenure in the band and along with Robin's capes and mohawk, the whole 2002 image was certainly unique and exciting. But some folks around here need to accept the reality that these guys aren't in the band anymore. You'll likely never see Robin play the TIL solo live, nor will Buckethead be making an impromptu appearance to bust out TWAT anytime soon.

More importantly, fans hoping that the next album will be chock full of BH/Finck outtakes are setting themselves up for a disappointment. For starters, Axl was mindful even back in 2008 of representing the newer NuGuns line-up on Chinese Democracy, so he's hardly going to prioritise former members who haven't even been in the band in almost 6-8 years over the likes of Ron and DJ. At best, I reckon you might get 2-3 BH/Finck/Brain era tracks but these will almost certainly be re-recorded with parts from the current band. Don't act butthurt and blame Axl if he ends up replacing Finck's solos, after all, Robin was the one who buggered off to re-join NIN. Same deal with Buckethead.

Ron, DJ and Richard deserve their moment to shine now. Anybody who's seen a GNR show in the last 2-3 years will have witnessed Richard's awesome Bond theme which was one of the highlights of the last tour. Ron is simply a world class musician who is undoubtedly the most versatile and technically gifted guitarist GNR have ever had (including Buckethead, there, I said it!). He is also a cult artist in his own right with his own brilliant body of work.

The main difference between the current line-up compared to the 2002 band is that Ron, DJ, Fortus and co have had time to gel as a real band. It has been widely reported that the BH/Finck era band recorded all their parts seperately in the studio and never even played together as a band until they were touring. The current line-up have been on the road for years, they know eachother individually as well as musicians. Frank's played on Ron's solo work, Richards jammed at Dizzy's live shows, these guys are a real band who have genuine respect for eachother and love playing together. On the contary, did you ever get the impression Bucket enjoyed being in Guns or that Finck particularly wanted to share the stage with him?

Edited by Towelie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin is no better than DJ and Buckethead made the band into a laughing stock, purely from his image and that's why I detest him in GNR. Yes, great solo's, but ron can do those. Seriously, a hockey mask and KFC bucket on his head and does a robot dance? Get a fuckin grip laugh.gif

It's getting tiresome reading all the fawning over BH and Finck on here lately (besides, isn't that what the Former Gunners section is for?).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BH's tenure in the band and along with Robin's capes and mohawk, the whole 2002 image was certainly unique and exciting. But some folks around here need to accept the reality that these guys aren't in the band anymore. You'll likely never see Robin play the TIL solo live, nor will Buckethead be making an impromptu appearance to bust out TWAT anytime soon.

More importantly, fans hoping that the next album will be chock full of BH/Finck outtakes are setting themselves up for a disappointment. For starters, Axl was mindful even back in 2008 of representing the newer NuGuns line-up on Chinese Democracy, so he's hardly going to prioritise former members who haven't even been in the band in almost 6-8 years over the likes of Ron and DJ. At best, I reckon you might get 2-3 BH/Finck/Brain era tracks but these will almost certainly be re-recorded with parts from the current band. Don't act butthurt and blame Axl if he ends up replacing Finck's solos, after all, Robin was the one who buggered off to re-join NIN. Same deal with Buckethead.

Ron, DJ and Richard deserve their moment to shine now. Anybody who's seen a GNR show in the last 2-3 years will have witnessed Richard's awesome Bond theme which was one of the highlights of the last tour. Ron is simply a world class musician who is undoubtedly the most versatile and technically gifted guitarist GNR have ever had (including Buckethead, there, I said it!). He is also a cult artist in his own right with his own brilliant body of work.

The main difference between the current line-up compared to the 2002 band is that Ron, DJ, Fortus and co have had time to gel as a real band. It has been widely reported that the BH/Finck era band recorded all their parts seperately in the studio and never even played together as a band until they were touring. The current line-up have been on the road for years, they know eachother individually as well as musicians. Frank's played on Ron's solo work, Richards jammed at Dizzy's live shows, these guys are a real band who have genuine respect for eachother and love playing together. On the contary, did you ever get the impression Bucket enjoyed being in Guns or that Finck particularly wanted to share the stage with him?

um buckethead and robin are the reason we have the best rock record since illusions. you might have heard of it. maybe purchased it on itunes. i know you downloaded it. it's called chinese democracy. they produced the perfect rock record for the guns n roses community. it's something you don't get over and move on from. axl hasn't. neither will the fanbase who go 2 guns n roses concerts all around the world in 2012

Guest Broskirose

Robin is no better than DJ

This is when I stopped reading.

I bet your life on it that you read more.

I didn't but now that I have I just want to say

lol

banforlifeplease

this is a forum for discussion of the band in its various incarnations. obviously a lot of people got into following the band in 2001/2002 because of that specific lineup, so to just assume people would be willing to ignore the history and not discuss it at all is ignorant.

i am always going to be a fan of axl's in whatever band lineup he chooses, BUT i do have to say (as i've said before) i am often frustrated by the fact that the '02 lineup wasn't more active/didn't put out an album/didn't get recognition. you could at the very least argue that despite playing the old band's material, they put a fresh spin on many of the songs (like buckethead's nightrain solos), and that gave them a sort of legitimacy that i can understand some people thinking the current band doesn't have as much, since they're more-so playing the old stuff note-for-note now. back then, between robin's distinct and divisive playing style and bucket's noodling, the band sounded different, and i would have been excited to hear more new material from them. :(

this is a forum for discussion of the band in its various incarnations. obviously a lot of people got into following the band in 2001/2002 because of that specific lineup, so to just assume people would be willing to ignore the history and not discuss it at all is ignorant.

i am always going to be a fan of axl's in whatever band lineup he chooses, BUT i do have to say (as i've said before) i am often frustrated by the fact that the '02 lineup wasn't more active/didn't put out an album/didn't get recognition. you could at the very least argue that despite playing the old band's material, they put a fresh spin on many of the songs (like buckethead's nightrain solos), and that gave them a sort of legitimacy that i can understand some people thinking the current band doesn't have as much, since they're more-so playing the old stuff note-for-note now. back then, between robin's distinct and divisive playing style and bucket's noodling, the band sounded different, and i would have been excited to hear more new material from them. :(

Excellent post! My thoughts exactly! If I wanted to hear a carbon copy of the original band then gimme a reunion. If Axl wants to make it with the new band he needs to make it sufficiently different.

Guest Broskirose

Finck and Bucket blew their chance. They also set the band back and are part of the struggles Axl Rose had to face.

lol are you kidding me?

The didn't blow jack shit. They left because they were and always will be too good for GNR.

Bucket went on to make more albums in a year than Axl will make in a lifetime and Robin left to tour with one of the best bands ever. They didn't blow it. Axl did.

And he has only himself to blame for the setbacks he faced.

Considering the fact that he has basically begged for Bucket to return and performed with Robin earlier this year/alway speaks for highly of him - I think Axl agrees.

Robin and Bucket are GNR. Cashba? Nothing more than a selfmarketing scumbag. Next.

Finck and Bucket blew their chance. They also set the band back and are part of the struggles Axl Rose had to face.

lol are you kidding me?

The didn't blow jack shit. They left because they were and always will be too good for GNR.

Bucket went on to make more albums in a year than Axl will make in a lifetime and Robin left to tour with one of the best bands ever. They didn't blow it. Axl did.

Considering the fact that he has basically begged for Bucket to return and performed with Robin earlier this year/alway speaks for highly of him - I think Axl agrees.

Robin and Bucket are GNR. Cashba? Nothing more than a selfmarketing scumbag. Next.

Was it Axl's fault Bucket left the fans and his bandmates high and dry right before RIR 2004?

Was it Axl's fault Robin decided to quit just before CD came out?

I love those guys and what they gave us on CD (my favorite album) but GNR was not for them. They could have been bigger than Smash as a household name if they went through the motions properly.

Guest Broskirose

lol are you kidding me?

Was it Axl's fault Bucket left the fans and his bandmates high and dry right before RIR 2004?

I love those guys and what they gave us on CD (my favorite album) but GNR was not for them. They could have been bigger than Smash as a household name if they went through the motions properly.

Bucket was out of the band before RIR 2004. Axl just used him as a scapegoat.

Robin couldn't have picked a better time to leave the band. He stuck with it till the end and once CD was done he left. Can't fault the guy for wanting to do something else with his time than sit on his ass for years waiting for Guns to tour/record.

Cashba? Nothing more than a selfmarketing scumbag. Next.

Please chill a bit on this kind of stuff -- if you don't like Ashba that's fine but we're not gonna let people insult others, whether it's posters or bandmembers. :thumbsdown:

Can't say I agree with this policy but ok. When you put yourself out there as an entertainer you open yourself to criticism and some of it may not be pretty. I don't call DJ scum for no reason. I truly think he's a terrible person for many reasons. When he tossed me a pic at one of the UCAP shows I gave it to someone else.

Cashba? Nothing more than a selfmarketing scumbag. Next.

Please chill a bit on this kind of stuff -- if you don't like Ashba that's fine but we're not gonna let people insult others, whether it's posters or bandmembers. :thumbsdown:

Thank you. Calling DJ for Cashba is just as dumb as writing Slash with the $ sign. It's childish and uncalled for and I'm glad it's being kept an eye on here.

How can I say this is a mod friendly way.... I won't ever be in a position where I am arguing over the "new" GNR members past and present. Axl has made the band and it's name such a clusterfuck, it really isn't worth the time getting emotionally invested in these guys. Buckethead vs Ashba, the reality is nobody can get Axl to record and release music in a timely fashion.

How can I say this is a mod friendly way.... I won't ever be in a position where I am arguing over the "new" GNR members past and present. Axl has made the band and it's name such a clusterfuck, it really isn't worth the time getting emotionally invested in these guys. Buckethead vs Ashba, the reality is nobody can get Axl to record and release music in a timely fashion.

The fact that people are actually arguing over the newer lineups, says a lot.

lol are you kidding me?

2 be fair. axl didn't stop either bucket or robin leaving. axl didn't stop slash and duff from leaving either before bucket and robin