St. Jakobshalle, Basel/Switzerland

Silent Jay

What an awesome show! I have seen GnR so many times now, but it just gets better and better. This band plays their hearts out for 3 hours +! Still completely exhausted! For me it was one of the best concerts ever.

Quireboys: Pretty good and I guess the crowd quite liked them

Crowd: I`d say it was 90% sold out! Crowd was a little "lame" but nonetheless quite greatful! It got a little more empty at the end, perhaps people went to the back to sit down or get drinks, as it was incredibly hot in the arena.

Start: Was really surprised by that. Band actually started a couple of minutes before 9pm very much on time and they played until some minutes past midnight. It was the earliest I have ever seen GnR coming on stage.

Show: Very solid, Axl sounded great, only some minor voice problems in the second part of the set. All in all very good. A huge compliment to the band for playing more than 3 hours in this heat; Axl was still wearing a hat and jacket at all times (presumably to cover up his belly ;) ) Ron in particular seemed to be in a good mood, also Frank. Axl was quite professional, not even throwing a tantrum as a cup came flying towards him. He seemed to be in a good mood, though not very talkative. Also my impression was that he did not need to go to the oxygen tent as often. Also in the end before Paradise City something must have gone wrong (see below)

Setlist: Was already mentioned by Silent Jay! I am not too sure about the order though. Also I remember that Nighttrain was actually the first song of the encore (which was very long!!) It was my first show on the Euro tour and I did not read the forums before, so I was very positively surprised by hearing Estranged, Shacklers Revenge, Civil War, Don`t Cry, Used to love her and Dead Flowers. All in all the setlist it was the best setlist I have seen.

Some Notes:

-Axl was fooling around with Beta throughout the show. E.g she was also trying to command him where to go on stage (in a funny way) and he pretended jokingly to do be a brat about it.

- Axl drank some of DJ´s Jager he left on stage

- A pretty blond girl backstage was trying to take some photos of him. He noticed and made funny faces so she didn`t get a decent shot.

- Axl complimented on Richard`s outfit

- He also seemed to gain more energy during the show. Between Dead Flowers and Used to love her, the band wanted a break but he told them "to keep this thing rolling"

- At some time during the show he and Ron must have seen something interesting during the show! In the middle of the song he was saying " What the Fuck...!?" and moving to the center next to Ron to look at something. Anyone knows what this was about?

- At the end of the show, I guess it had to be sometime during patience something must have happened on the right side of the stage (view from the audience). He was running back rather furiously and talking to somebody backstage for about 30 seconds. He did not return to the right corner for the rest of the show. Shortly after that his assistent mobbed the floor where he was standing. My guess is he was hit by a cup that some asshole was throwing. Also security cleared that part of the seating area after the incident (nobody should have been sitting there in the first place actually). That may also explains his"fuck" in Paradise City.

Until that incident Axl seemed to be in a good mood, however he took it professionally. Played paradise city and thanked the audience once again after the song ended; he thanked once more after the end of the video posted above, being the sole member on stage. No bow of the whole band though and no microphone throwing. Ron returned after that to take some photos!

Edited by God of Thunder

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps these guys constantly doing plane,bus,hotel,arena ect day in day out and being away from family and stuff like that could be a reason they snap at each other been a good few months now., if there was no bow, something tells me some band members had a problem with whatever went down. Im sure there over it by now, just kinda sucks for the band and crowd after playing the whole show to end it on a downer .

PC sounds good, definately seems like he's using some more rasp. Good to hear. The early start is a good thing too, if only that was constant.

Are you talking about the same video!? Not a hint of rasp on this show's PC - just good ol'mickey mouse clean vocals as usual... :confused:

BTW if you wanna listen to some rasp on PC watch this one instead from Hellfest just a week or so ago:

Edited by trqster

"what the fuck" is what he said, probably because it was never ending and he clearly tried to end the song about 3 times. Just one of those things that sometimes happens, there's a Queen concert in Japan 1982 where they played Jailhouse Rock and Freddie tried to end it several times, you can hear him saying "end it" several different times...also happened to a lesser degree at Montreal in 81 (thats on video as well)

Guest Broskirose

How can anyone gather from the video that he is pissed at Frank?

Ali

Because he looks at Frank and screams "what the fuck!?!?!?!?!", he clearly thinks Frank messed up since he usually cues the end of the song once Axl starts singing, Frank dissapears after the song and the rest of the band don't come out for a curtain call.

How can you not gather he is pissed at Frank?

yeah after re-watching he does give frank 3 times to get back to where he should be, by repeating the sentence. Just one of those things i guess.

However, I saw guns 7 times last month and frank had to re-start Brownstone and the band had to carry on playing on You Could Be Mine because axl missed the que in the opening verse. Also, at liverpool I remember Chinese not sounding right, and a nottingham he stormed off, but I think that was the sound rather than anyones fault. Shit happens, although you can see how professional the band are when these mishaps happen and how they carry on playing and bring it back round again.

While watching on youtube it might seem sloppy, when you are there it's sort of unique to the show, adds more of a real effect.

Guest Broskirose

Anyone remember/got a link to the show where he yelled at Frank for messing up the begginning of Estranged? (and it was actually Axl who messed up)

to be fair, maybe I'm mistaken, but from watching it three times, axl totally comes in at the wrong time, leaving it very hard/impossible for Frank to end the song with him. So, as I said, maybe I didn't hear it right, but I've noticed it many times now, particularly in PC, that axl has a problem with this.

How can anyone gather from the video that he is pissed at Frank?

Ali

Because he looks at Frank and screams "what the fuck!?!?!?!?!", he clearly thinks Frank messed up since he usually cues the end of the song once Axl starts singing, Frank dissapears after the song and the rest of the band don't come out for a curtain call.

How can you not gather he is pissed at Frank?

I can see now why someone would think he was looking at Frank. At first I thought he was just looking off stage to the right. I thought maybe he was pissed at the sound guys or something.

Ali