You Know You're Right & Do Re Mi

Vincent Vega

You Know You're Right and Do Re Mi, recorded in January and March 1994 respectively, are the last known recordings by Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. Anyone else feel that these last songs are oddly and tragically actually among their best? I posture and say I hate Kurt Cobain but I don't really hate the man as much as I hate the image...Which is ironically probably something he'd have hated himself. I doubt he'd really want people to put him on as high a pedestal as they do...So ironically, as much as some almost deify him, it's actually an insult to what he professed to stand for; It's the opposite of what he wanted. But I do believe the man was getting MORE talented as time went on...I love Bleach and Nevermind but I feel the real talent with Nirvana and Kurt was expressed in In Utero and these last, tragic songs...You Know You're Right and Do Re Mi are both simple and beautiful musically but also poignant lyrically, probably his most well thought out stuff, his most...sad...stuff, not even in light of his end, but his general frame of mind...He could be so honest with himself without even trying which is something a lot of musicians seem to have to TRY to do.

So yeah, I posture and hate the image and the deification of the MAN and the fact that he is always put against my main musical hero, Axl...But the music of Nirvana and Kurt, especially their last album and these two songs, speak for themselves. One thing I love about Nirvana/Kurt is that he could achieve in a 2 minute song what others would take a 10 minute song to say. I also love that the last material was moving away from the stereotypical "Grunge" sound...It makes me wonder if Kurt would've went on to make like, a folky sort of acoustic album as has been rumored...I think that that sort of career, being the 90s version of Jerry Garcia, with a little cult following, rather than being the 90s version of John Lennon, him playing pretty, poetic, acoustic sort of songs, is a role he would've liked more, I think--Nowhere nearly as demanding and much more free musically.

It's incredibly sad given these two songs that he never made that acoustic album with Michael Stipe.

I always thought that about You Know You're Right. It was like a fusion of Nevermind's slickness with some of the rawness of In Utero, and a whole album in that vein would've been amazing. It showed that Kurt had a lot of potential that, had he lived, could've used to pump out another classic album or two.

Guest Len B'stard

I would've felt quite let down if the next Nirvana album had been all in the "you know you're right" vein, very let down indeed. Well, OK, perhaps exaggeration but in an ideal Len World the next Nirvana album would've been fucking mental. Like, just throw the fuckin kitchen sink at it, re-order everything, i'd love to see an improvised Nirvana album, that i think would've been fuckin glorious.

I just think Kurt Cobain had such a great ability with his instrument in the sort of avante garde direction, it could've been so rewarding artistically if he'd've just gotten to explore it.

I would've felt quite let down if the next Nirvana album had been all in the "you know you're right" vein, very let down indeed. Well, OK, perhaps exaggeration but in an ideal Len World the next Nirvana album would've been fucking mental. Like, just throw the fuckin kitchen sink at it, re-order everything, i'd love to see an improvised Nirvana album, that i think would've been fuckin glorious.

I just think Kurt Cobain had such a great ability with his instrument in the sort of avante garde direction, it could've been so rewarding artistically if he'd've just gotten to explore it.

I would have liked one more "classic" Nirvana record. After that he could have ran into the forest, grew a beard, and just played acoustic shit, he could have done a post Beatles Lennon+Yoko experimental wank fest, avant garde, all sorts of things. You Know You're Right, to me, proved there was still so much life in what they were currently doing. Obviously it would have got old eventually but to me that showed it had not yet.