Jimi Hendrix

Vincent Vega

As some may know, Jimi Hendrix was working on an ambitious double album when he died. It was either going to be called Strate Ahead or The First Rays of the New Rising Sun. It was almost finished but not quite when he died and there have been several attempts to assemble the DEFINITIVE version of it--the version Jimi wanted to put out. The material that he did for that record really is fucking awesome--How does anyone feel about it or any of the other posthumous Jimi releases? The guy had so much talent, and he's another case of a guy getting better and better and dying just as his talent was peaking or reaching a peak. It's really fucking sad, cause if the material that he recorded in '70 is any indication, he could've been a major force in music in the 70s, a prime mover; A lot of the stuff from his intended double album is ahead of it's time in some ways. It's sad that we lost Jimi, Janis and Jim Morrison right as they made their most compelling material, and so close together--Jimi in Sept 70, Janis in October 70, and Jim in July 71...The 60s and all of it's musical promise died with them and the breakup of the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abmb7wXM6Jw

How do you guys feel about Jimi's last stuff and the posthumous releases? How do you feel about Jimi in general? I really want Lenny to chime in here :heart:

A few summers back I went out bought a crate of beer and a Hendrix biography. I sat in my room all day playing all the Hendrix I had, just hundreds of songs, bootlegs and all, reading through the book and drinking beer.

It was a good day.

Didn't he intend to do an album with Miles Davis too?

Edited by Chinaski

I am a huge Hendrix fan and as good as he was in the late 60's I really love his Band of Gypsy' s live shows and his 70's live shows where he plays songs from the proposed next album.

Here is one of my favorites which could have been the title of his next album had he lived.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqfCpYP6XiA&feature=related

Huge fan as well. I listen to the album Live at Fillmore east very often. Machine gunn is brilliant!

It is a shame he died so young and before he really could let people hear, what he wanted to play himself.

Classicrawker

Didn't he wanted to change directions with his music? I heard that somewhere.

Oh yeah, good thread. Also time I also like to hear and discover things about this last album of his. I also like what he was trying to do with the Gypsy Sun and Rainbows Band.

I don't know too much about unofficial releases of his recordings, but can someone give me any pointer how to track down a bootleg version of the Woodstock performance with the whole band in the audio mix?

He was the most talented member of the 27 club by far and I don't think he'd even peaked yet as a musician. I personally believe Jimi is the greatest single rock musician who has ever lived. We were robbed of so much amazing music with his death. First Rays of the Rising Sun was shaping up to be another masterpiece, and he was really starting to branch out as a musician. I believe had he lived he would have worked with Miles Davis, and probably gone on to work with many other legends.

I spent the day at the Hendrix museum in Seattle a few years ago. It was neat looking at his hand written lyrics. You could tell he was an artist just by looking at his writing.

This is one of my favorite posthumous Hendrix songs. It reminds me a little of Stairway to Heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6aCH5asyZ0

Instrumental I've always been very fond of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqc1_RQHOKM

Edited by Randy Lahey

Sorry, I can't help myself. Absolutely love the Hendrix. I've spent more time listening to his music than any other artist. The box set is worth it for these two instrumental gems alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2RsW0YeZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szh2HnNT0c8

Edited by Randy Lahey

51tS-dqk-GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This special, expanded edition of Jimi Plays Berkeley showcases some of Jimi's finest ever performances filmed over two concerts at the Berkeley Community Theatre on May 30, 1970. The film documented the political unrest and student uprisings in Berkeley juxtaposed against such legendary Hendrix live performances as "Johnny B. Goode," "Star Spangled Banner," "I Don't Live Today" and "Purple Haze."

This deluxe edition also includes:

A new, digitally restored transfer from the original 16mm negative. More than fifteen minutes of newly discovered, previously unseen documentary and performance footage of such classic songs as "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," "Machine Gun" and "Hear My Train A Comin'" not featured in the original film release.

THIS IS A COMPLETELY UPDATED VERSION FOR 2012 AND ALSO AVAILABLE ON DVD.

Release Date: July 10

Oh yeah, good thread. Also time I also like to hear and discover things about this last album of his. I also like what he was trying to do with the Gypsy Sun and Rainbows Band.

I don't know too much about unofficial releases of his recordings, but can someone give me any pointer how to track down a bootleg version of the Woodstock performance with the whole band in the audio mix?

There's supposedly an audience recording out there that has "Master Mind" and "Gypsy Woman" (which Jimi didn't sing on, so it was left off the official release).

Huge fan as well. I listen to the album Live at Fillmore east very often. Machine gunn is brilliant!

It is a shame he died so young and before he really could let people hear, what he wanted to play himself.

Classicrawker

Didn't he wanted to change directions with his music? I heard that somewhere.

Yes he was tired of doing the Experience thing which is why he had the big band for Woodstock and put together a band of Gypsys but his manager Matt Jefferies wanted him to continue to tour with the Experience for the $$$

If you listen to the post death releases such as Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and the Hendrix estates attempt to recreate Jimi's vision for his next album, supposedly titled, New Rays of the New Rising Sun, you can here him evolving into more complex styles of music..

He is one artist I wish I had been old enough to see live before he passsed...If I could go back in time to see one concert it would have been the 69/70 New Years Eve concerts by the Band of Gypsys............

Edited by classicrawker