There Was a Time

Guest GHS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

peter -

believe it or not, the enjoyment of music involves PERSONAL TASTE. it is possible for some people to love a song and for some people to hate that same song. that does not mean the song is great or that it sucks. it just means it is a song. people should like whatever they like. maybe there isn't some conspiracy involved and some people just happen to love the song? the same way you happen to hate it? or maybe there is a conspiracy involved in why you hate the song?

finck6 -

are you denying that you've trolled GNR sites for years as finck6, queenie, vegeta6, kenshin and queeno666?

I love the song and have since the first leak.

are you sure there isn't a conspiracy involved as peter suggested?

could it really be that simple that you just happen to enjoy listening to the song? hmmmmm.

MSL, it's true what you wrote. But, ppl like Britney Spears and Bieber. That shit sux too.

Guest Gunns

I love the song and have since the first leak.

are you sure there isn't a conspiracy involved as peter suggested?

could it really be that simple that you just happen to enjoy listening to the song? hmmmmm.

:tongue2: ?

Funnily enough, the part that I initially loved the most when first hearing the song, which was the opening verses,

is second now to my favorite part being the latter half of the song.

I like how the song is sort of statemented at first, and then just comes into its own with each passing second. Its unique and quirky .

Edited by Gunns

I only like this song slightly less than Estranged. I rank it as my third favorite GN'R song, behind Coma (1) and Estranged (2). Honestly, when I show TWAT to people and they don't like it, it hurts my brain to think of what's not to like. It's one of the only CD songs I loved instantly on first listen (TWAT, SOD, IRS, and TIL were the only tunes I loved). And as time wears on, the novelty has definitely fallen off those other three songs, but TWAT is every bit as enjoyable as it was for me on first listen.

I don't really know what it is about TWAT. I just think it has a magical quality to it. The arrangement is superb, it's dynamic, the outro is one of the best moments in all of music... I don't know. I adore it, and it's not because I'm trying to adore it. I just do. It's hard to explain.

peter -

a song is not good or bad just because YOU like or dislike it.

enjoy whatever you enjoy. allow others to do the same.

i have a ton of GNR records in my collection, but i have britney spears in my collection as well. i like what i like and do not feel the need to come up with conspiracy theories for why others like what they like.

You have Britney Spears in ur collection? (lol), that doesn't make TWAT a good song. No conspiracies. If it was so great, it would have gotten some accolades. Much more than a bit of praise from NuGNR bots.

Guest Gunns

If you're not part of the T.W.A.Tmasons, then you are part of the conspiracy for liking the song.

Edited by Gunns

I Love TWAT. My favorite song by any band of all time. Probably has the biggest play count on my iTunes. If someone said I had 7 minutes left to live and had to choose one or two songs to listen to, It'd be TWAT for sure.

SOME

SHITTY

LIST

OF

EVERY

LP

I

OWN

TAKING

UP

HALF

THE

PAGE

You know that thing I keep asking you to stop doing? You're doing it again - right from when you unnecessarily jumped down MEXzilla's throat on the first page, through to you listing your entire embarrassingly bad music collection in a thread about what people think of TWAT.

Please, stop talking about yourself, thanks.

Great melody and instrumentation, great structure, strong lyrics, the "I would do anything for you" screams are some of the strongest vocals Axl has ever laid down

The way the song builds to a crescendo in the final four minutes is perfectly executed, and Buckethead's solo deserves its spot right up there with the best GnR solos

The fact that the usual boring, predictable people on here dislike it so vehemently only validates it

Axl singing with his clean, weak and strongly nasal voice

This is something I usually seem to be alone of hearing in this song. People on this forum is saying it's his strongest vocal performance ever. I thought people were trolling at first, but I've come to the conclusion that they're just deaf or something. What I'm quoting here is so true. His vocals really are terrible on this song.

Axl said in the online chats... he was most proud of his singing at the end of TWAT.

First, I'm not bashing anyone's opinions. For what I've read, it's easy to conclude that TWAT is considered, by the majority of this forum, the best CD song. But why? Seriously, what's so amazing in this music? I've heard it so many times, and I feel very uncomfortable with a few things in the song when I listen to it. The biggest problem, for me, starts when Axl sings It was a long time with you / It was a long time with me / It'd be a long time for anyone / But looks like it's meant to be. It's a problem that I detected in many CD songs, but this part of this song is the best example: Axl just hasn't the heaviness naturally required to accompany the heavy instrumental sessions. He also lost that wildness he used to carry in his voice in the old days. So when I hear Axl singing with his clean, weak and strongly nasal voice in that part, the contrast that rises is too big to be ignored, imo. And in the end, when he repeatedly sings There was a time, I can't help to notice that he's struggling hard to reach a heaviness he doesn't have. I won't comment Buckethead's solo, that has those shreddings I don't like (for me, this whole guitar masturbation is more suited for heavy metal or something like that).

PS - I'm not saying that who likes or consider TWAT the best CD song is an ignorant bastard. Feel free to disagree with me. I'm really curious.

I think TWAT is a good song and i like Axl's voice on it. Is it the best CD song? I dont know, i would says it one of the better ones along with Better and Prostitute but overall I would say Prostitute is better IMO.

You have Britney Spears in ur collection? (lol), that doesn't make TWAT a good song. No conspiracies. If it was so great, it would have gotten some accolades. Much more than a bit of praise from NuGNR bots.

Great things go unrecognized all the time, while the mediocre and downright bad is often praised beyond its worth. You want to try contesting that point?

mister saint laurent-

do you deny you tried to bait axl rose in the youtube video with thumb drives, damning documents about the band, beta, unpaid royalties, emails between axl & robin finck about leaks, and unreleased chinese democracy materials? unreleased chinese democracy tracks?

I don't understand the notion that Buckethead's solo is pure shred. Most of it is quite slow and very melodic, borrowing lots of ideas from the vocal melody. It fits the song well. There's a couple passages that are typical of Buckethead, but overall, his main solo fits the song well.

I feel the same way when people say Bumblefoot's Catcher solo is "too much shredding" where there's only one fast passage in the entire solo.

I don't understand the notion that Buckethead's solo is pure shred. Most of it is quite slow and very melodic, borrowing lots of ideas from the vocal melody. It fits the song well. There's a couple passages that are typical of Buckethead, but overall, his main solo fits the song well.

I feel the same way when people say Bumblefoot's Catcher solo is "too much shredding" where there's only one fast passage in the entire solo.

bucket's solo on twat might be shred. but robin's twat solo is classic rock genius