There Was a Time

Guest GHS

I don't understand the notion that Buckethead's solo is pure shred. Most of it is quite slow and very melodic, borrowing lots of ideas from the vocal melody. It fits the song well. There's a couple passages that are typical of Buckethead, but overall, his main solo fits the song well.

I feel the same way when people say Bumblefoot's Catcher solo is "too much shredding" where there's only one fast passage in the entire solo.

Right? Calling Buckethead a shredder is so 2008. I thought we were past that phase.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the notion that Buckethead's solo is pure shred. Most of it is quite slow and very melodic, borrowing lots of ideas from the vocal melody. It fits the song well. There's a couple passages that are typical of Buckethead, but overall, his main solo fits the song well.

I feel the same way when people say Bumblefoot's Catcher solo is "too much shredding" where there's only one fast passage in the entire solo.

Right? Calling Buckethead a shredder is so 2008. I thought we were past that phase.

You have to keep in mind that most people who make comments like that don't know anything about music

peter -

believe it or not, the enjoyment of music involves PERSONAL TASTE. it is possible for some people to love a song and for some people to hate that same song. that does not mean the song is great or that it sucks. it just means it is a song. people should like whatever they like. maybe there isn't some conspiracy involved and some people just happen to love the song? the same way you happen to hate it? or maybe there is a conspiracy involved in why you hate the song?

finck6 -

are you denying that you've trolled GNR sites for years as finck6, queenie, vegeta6, kenshin and queeno666?

I love the song and have since the first leak.

are you sure there isn't a conspiracy involved as peter suggested?

could it really be that simple that you just happen to enjoy listening to the song? hmmmmm.

A couple of things:

Even I like TWAT. I like it. I always thought TWAT and Better had a decent vibe going. These two songs, to me, at least had somewhat of the spririt of Rock N Roll.

-On a different note, Finck6 were you really Queenie? That is going back over 10 years on GNR forums. I miss those posts Yeah!

I think some of the songs suffer from over production on the album (scraped)/raid), however this song is where it works really well, shackler's and Prostitute too.

I love the guitars in it, there's a lot going on in the track. Axl has some good vocal ranges on it, some high clean, some rasp, bit of everything.

It equals Prostitute and is very similar on the production value. I appreciate the work that has gone into making this track, I usually like to listen to it when Im doing some sort of cardio work out, one of those songs that keep you going when you want to give up.

The solo is insane too, best on the album.

I think some of the songs suffer from over production on the album (scraped)/raid), however this song is where it works really well, shackler's and Prostitute too.

I love the guitars in it, there's a lot going on in the track. Axl has some good vocal ranges on it, some high clean, some rasp, bit of everything.

It equals Prostitute and is very similar on the production value. I appreciate the work that has gone into making this track, I usually like to listen to it when Im doing some sort of cardio work out, one of those songs that keep you going when you want to give up.

The solo is insane too, best on the album.

i love the guitars 2 on twat. robin and bucket do wonderful guitars on twat

-On a different note, Finck6 were you really Queenie? That is going back over 10 years on GNR forums. I miss those posts Yeah!

yes, she was queenie, vegeta6, kenshin and queeno666. she is very funny and very talented, but the whole finck brilliant TIL solo thing has kind of run its course IMO.

mister saint laurent-

saying robin is briiliant on TIL runs its course is like saying slash' brilliance on guns n roses records runs its course

bucket's solo on twat might be shred. but robin's twat solo is classic rock genius

Oh shit, I forgot about Finck's solo. Yeah, you're right. Really amazing.

bucket's solo on twat might be shred. but robin's twat solo is classic rock genius

Oh shit, I forgot about Finck's solo. Yeah, you're right. Really amazing.

pi2loc-

robin's solo on twat is amazing. i didn't forget it

Fincks solo is good. Bucketheads solo on TWAT is a top 5 GNR solo alltime.

i think finck's twat solo is also a top 5 gnr solo all time. but at least you recognize robin's hard work on twat. unlike some others. roll eyes

i think finck's twat solo is also a top 5 gnr solo all time. but at least you recognize robin's hard work on twat. unlike some others. roll eyes

Not sure I agree with that. Finck's This I Love solo is a top 10 GNR solo though IMO.

Not sure I agree with that. Finck's This I Love solo is a top 10 GNR solo though IMO.

i agree with that. robin's TIL solo is one of the GREATEST ever in rock and in Guns N' Roses Album history

Edited by finck6

It's something new. I can't listen to any of the other songs on the album honestly. I like the guitar solo at the end but I can understand why others would see it as gratuitous shredding. Back in the late 80s lots of bands has a mini-Van Halen coveting a super-strat that made annoying solos and most people are happy those days are gone. I didn't mind it in the song cause it's better than anything else on the album. It takes too long to get to the solo though.

The negative comments in hear remind me of what Axl said before CD came out: (paraphrasing) 'People are gonna say this doesn't sound like GN'R, this doesn't sound like Axl, but you'll like at least a couple of songs on it'.

He wasn't remotely trying to cater to GN'R fans who wanted more bluesy riff-rock. That was a huge part of the problem between he and Slash from day 1: Slash wanted to knock out Appetite-style music with little time and fuss; Axl wanted to explore all different kinds of sounds and ideas.

Twat couldn't be further from what old-skool GN'R fans love about the old music and because it's called GN'R they come in expecting one thing and get something else. I think it's fair to say that the people who love Twat (and CD in general) are more Axl Rose fans than pure old-GN'R fans.

I adore Twat and CD in general because I completely relate to the themes of torturous unrequited love, isolation, loneliness etc. As much as I enjoy the music on Appetite, I can't personally relate to the majority of it and whilst it's fun in context, it's not like it's lyrically informing my life. Most fans who aren't smackheads or living in a squat would have to say they enjoy living vicariously through the songs or just enjoy them as fun party songs or just enjoy the music with the lyrics being incidental.

If you've ever been hurt by someone so much that you pretty much felt like dying then Axl screaming 'There was a time I would do anything for you' at the top of his range is one of the most cathartic and liberating pieces of art.

I love the intro. I've always read it as being the sounds of broken wind-up toys. Axl has often talked about and used imagery of innocence in songs and videos and it's the sound of him retreating into his broken mind, utterly depressed, surrounded by the broken toys of his childhood. I'm pretty sure if he explained it it would be something along those lines.

As for his 'weak' vocal, he obviously chose to sing clean. I think he went out of his way to prove something with his vocals on CD and showed his versatility by singing with so many different voices across a great range, often in the space of one song. I'm sure he'd explain it if Eddie Trunk or whoever bothered to ask.

I think Finck and Bucket's solo's are sublime. Why on Earth anyone is using the word 'shredding' in this thread when Bucket's solo is so gloriously melodic and soaring is beyond me.

If it ain't for you then go try Velvet Revolver but I sincerely believe that Twat is worth more than everything the alumni have done outside of GN'R put together (with the exception of Slash's stuff on Give In To Me). If I was off to a desert island and had to choose between all that stuff and Twat i'd choose Twat.

ron thal has yet to record a solo on a guns n roses song better than bucket's twat solo

dj ashba has yet to record a solo on a guns n roses song or even record a solo on a guns n roses song LOL better robin's twat solo

I will be the first to admit I think Robin leaving the band was a good thing, to me he just didn't fit much in the way Bucket didn't but........

Robins solo in TWAT is very very good and bucket was very good on this song!!!!

I DON'T Like Robin's live performance and I think that is his weakness, in the studio he is very good but live he is not very good, again IMHO.

I really think the line up we have now, if they can get Axl to do it and hit the studio and record an album together it would be very interesting to say the least! They have the right image now, I mean look at the VMAs 2002 just look at how the band members looked namely Bucket and Robin, It looked like a curious show to alot of people. At the time I just thought it was great but looking back at it I see it as more of a freak show and what fans like me from back in the hey day seen and new fans alike and I am sure there where alot of WTF!!!!!

Will it be better or worse??? Who knows and even then it;s a subjective sort of thing just like me on the bucket and robin thing.

I

The negative comments in hear remind me of what Axl said before CD came out: (paraphrasing) 'People are gonna say this doesn't sound like GN'R, this doesn't sound like Axl, but you'll like at least a couple of songs on it'.

He wasn't remotely trying to cater to GN'R fans who wanted more bluesy riff-rock. That was a huge part of the problem between he and Slash from day 1: Slash wanted to knock out Appetite-style music with little time and fuss; Axl wanted to explore all different kinds of sounds and ideas.

Twat couldn't be further from what old-skool GN'R fans love about the old music and because it's called GN'R they come in expecting one thing and get something else. I think it's fair to say that the people who love Twat (and CD in general) are more Axl Rose fans than pure old-GN'R fans.

I adore Twat and CD in general because I completely relate to the themes of torturous unrequited love, isolation, loneliness etc. As much as I enjoy the music on Appetite, I can't personally relate to the majority of it and whilst it's fun in context, it's not like it's lyrically informing my life. Most fans who aren't smackheads or living in a squat would have to say they enjoy living vicariously through the songs or just enjoy them as fun party songs or just enjoy the music with the lyrics being incidental.

If you've ever been hurt by someone so much that you pretty much felt like dying then Axl screaming 'There was a time I would do anything for you' at the top of his range is one of the most cathartic and liberating pieces of art.

I love the intro. I've always read it as being the sounds of broken wind-up toys. Axl has often talked about and used imagery of innocence in songs and videos and it's the sound of him retreating into his broken mind, utterly depressed, surrounded by the broken toys of his childhood. I'm pretty sure if he explained it it would be something along those lines.

As for his 'weak' vocal, he obviously chose to sing clean. I think he went out of his way to prove something with his vocals on CD and showed his versatility by singing with so many different voices across a great range, often in the space of one song. I'm sure he'd explain it if Eddie Trunk or whoever bothered to ask.

I think Finck and Bucket's solo's are sublime. Why on Earth anyone is using the word 'shredding' in this thread when Bucket's solo is so gloriously melodic and soaring is beyond me.

If it ain't for you then go try Velvet Revolver but I sincerely believe that Twat is worth more than everything the alumni have done outside of GN'R put together (with the exception of Slash's stuff on Give In To Me). If I was off to a desert island and had to choose between all that stuff and Twat i'd choose Twat.

Great, great post - so many things said so well and so truthfully.smile.gifthumbsup.gif

Basically. I remember listening to the TWAT and Better leaks back in '06 and thinking holy shit, this is exactly what I thought/hoped the album would sound like. Ever since that "Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck & Trent Reznor" comment that Rolling Stone made back in the day.

Oh yeah, here's the '06 version. While my favorite version is the final (love the beefed up chorus, and the additional guitars on the "yeah, there was a time" section), the 2006 leak will always have a special place in my heart. Hearing it for the first time was magic. That Bucket solo is so great