AV Club: 15 artists who apologized for their creations

Estranged Reality

I think it's impossible to sincerely apologize in advance for something. Apologies must include regret for something that was said or done, if you know something that you're about to do will hurt and offend a large number of people then you simply don't do it. If you go ahead and do it anyway, then you're not truly remorseful.

One in a Million is a great song and Axl's vocals on it are very strong IMO. Lyrically I can see how some would be offended but I look at it like a movie. Movies scripts use offensive language and acting to tell a true story and make it real and representative of that time in history. IMO that is what Axl was doing with this song, he was telling a story from the perspective of a "small town white boy" from Indiana. Problem is just like Gwyneth Paltrow being on stage in france with Kanye and Jay-Z and tweet black personz in France, which was the name of their song and she catches hell for her tweet being offensive. If people took the time to understand stuff instead of lashing out because of certain words, the world would be a better and more honest place. JMHO

One in a Million is a great song and Axl's vocals on it are very strong IMO. Lyrically I can see how some would be offended but I look at it like a movie. Movies scripts use offensive language and acting to tell a true story and make it real and representative of that time in history. IMO that is what Axl was doing with this song, he was telling a story from the perspective of a "small town white boy" from Indiana. Problem is just like Gwyneth Paltrow being on stage in france with Kanye and Jay-Z and tweet black personz in France, which was the name of their song and she catches hell for her tweet being offensive. If people took the time to understand stuff instead of lashing out because of certain words, the world would be a better and more honest place. JMHO

People in general don't care, it's activists or activist groups trying to make a name for themselves that use it to generate publicity. If you can't communicate how you truly feel in your artwork or literature, we're fucked as a society. If a song title offends, blame the writer and discuss it. It's offensive to me when Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton take it upon themselves to speak on behalf of all African Americans, they're a throwback to another era, another time.

It's silly to go after Paltrow for being bashed for a song title. If a song title is offensive, esp. if it's a hit song, shouldn't the writer of that song be blamed?

It does bother me when a comedian gets under fire for saying something politically incorrect. In Michael Richards' case, he was a horrible comic who lost it. It was just a trainwreck seeing a heckler own him.

Axl ran it by Slash, who could have just said "that song is offensive, I'm never going to play it." And you KNOW Slash wasn't going to go "what will my mommy think?" But she voiced her disapproval of the song, but also had to respect her son's decision. It's not like Axl would've quit GNR or disagreed with the band, but they all agreed to record it. David Geffen, who's gay, could've prevented it from being released. So all along the way, Axl did get "permission" to release it. Even though Wenner was "straight" at the time, he could've stood with gays and not put GNR & Axl on the front cover of RS.

It's not a "great" song, but it is a part of the GNR back catalog who wrote what they went through at the time, and this song was no different.

And Chris Rock said he stopped doing the difference between blacks and n---s because too many white people kept quoting it. Instead he did his routine about when white people can use the word. Keep in mind, also, he and Dave Chappelle had white staffers who wrote some of the material. Dave was the one who freaked out when he saw & heard a white guy in the audience laughing inappropriately. Even among black comics, they have to exercise caution. Chris Rock talked about how people wanted to kick his ass in Oakland for the "difference between" joke.

They didn't find it funny.