I think global warming is far worse than people think.

arnold layne

Can I just point out that the discussion should be about climate change and not global warming. Calling it global warming simplifies things far too much. I've not looked into it in intricate detail but in response to Aaron, do you really have to ask yourself why the world's largest producer of fossil fuels may have cause to dispute man made climate change? Whether it's true or not, the opposition has little to do with an appraisal of the evidence and a lot to do with the $$$$$$.

It's similar to people who deny things like evolution really in that they already hold a certain point of view or have some vested interest and any evidence that contradicts them must therefore be flawed. Good science starts with a blank slate and follows the evidence to its logical conclusion and that's not possible if people go into it with unshakable pre-conceived ideas from the start.

Again I'm not coming down on either side here but if somebody is to look into the issue of climate change and one conclusion would cos them millions then you can guarantee they'll find enough "evidence" to support the other side of the argument whether it exists or not.

Agree - but people can't just say climate change is manmade, some of it's happening naturally.

I am concerned that water is going to become more and more scarce, but we do have the technology to make water, without resorting to toilet to tap.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Humans won't go extinct unless something massive happens. Really massive. Like a moon sized asteroid or something. We're so much more advanced than say dinosaurs basically anything could happen and we'll emerge from a bunker somewhere and re-populate.

Anyway, I think most of you are right. Climate change IS a bigger problem than we let on and the fact the debate still exists, between the fucking leaders of the free world at that, is fucking disgusting. It's bad for economics that's the only reason people deny it. I know the Earth has had warmer periods and climate cycles are natural but humans are basically everywhere. HUGE cities, HUGE amounts of wastes, HUGE amounts of deforestation (plants take in C02 and give off O2 remember).... It's just crazy to me. Our world has grown exponentially since the industrial revolution and progress has always trumped cautious caring for resources so I don't see it changing. It is scary. I find it very scary.

But, like almost all of you, as scary as I find it... I'm going to drive tonight, I'm going to buy kiwis exported from the other side of the world instead of local apples, I'm going to leave the kitchen light on as well as the living room light while I'm up at night to see easier, etc etc. It's depressing in a way. Everyone's a hypocrite and no one does enough.

This is a cracking post.