Axl needs to work on writing simpler songs.

arnold layne

One thing Chinese Democracy was was complex, I would even say too complex. This is the biggest reason as to why I think most people didn't like it.

If Axl choses to release a new album (which I highly doubt) he should write simpler catchy songs. He doesn't have the guitar skill readily available anymore, so I think he should use Bumblefoot, Fortus and Ashba to help write easy and catchy songs.

I'm going to have to bring up Kurt Cobain.

One reason as to why Kurt Cobain was so successful with Nevermind was because it was catchy and it sampled many different music styles. Territorial Pissings was catchy heavy metal, Polly was acoustic, Come As You Are is soft rock, but all were catchy.

Appetite for Destruction was raw and simple as well.

I think there is a lot to be said about that. The human ear I think appreciates easy and catchy tunes. Axl needs to remember that bigger doesn't always mean better in a musical sense.

Agree or disagree?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Appetite definitely isn't simple, though it's catchy :) That's why it's so hard to recreate something like that. There's awesome duel guitar work, excellent basslines, unmatched groove on drums, awesome lyrics with unbelievably great vocals... Good luck with trying to compete with that writing and playing with dudes who only get to play material they didn't write :/

i have no problem with epic or complex tunes. but you CAN'T sound epic with those hip hop beats at the beginning of TWAT or Prostitute. you CAN'T sound epic with the weak vocals Axl showcases during 80% of the album.

imagine if estranged had those clean vocals in the most dramatic moments of the song... the thing would be ruined!

cd is not complex, it's over-produced, the chords are simple but they're a mess.

i agree with you, three or four songs with hooks would be great. i also agree it'll never be released, sadly.

^ Appetite definitely isn't simple, though it's catchy :) That's why it's so hard to recreate something like that. There's awesome duel guitar work, excellent basslines, unmatched groove on drums, awesome lyrics with unbelievably great vocals... Good luck with trying to compete with that writing and playing with dudes who only get to play material they didn't write :/

all things CD wasn't

One thing Chinese Democracy was was complex, I would even say too complex. This is the biggest reason as to why I think most people didn't like it.

If Axl choses to release a new album (which I highly doubt) he should write simpler catchy songs. He doesn't have the guitar skill readily available anymore, so I think he should use Bumblefoot, Fortus and Ashba to help write easy and catchy songs.

One reason as to why Kurt Cobain was so successful with Nevermind was because it was catchy and it sampled many different music styles. Territorial Pissings was catchy heavy metal, Polly was acoustic, Come As You Are is soft rock, but all were catchy.

I think there is a lot to be said about that. The human ear I think appreciates easy and catchy tunes. Axl needs to remember that bigger doesn't always mean better in a musical sense.

Agree or disagree?

disagree. because. the reason nobody liked the album is cause axl didn't properly promote it. whether it be in advance or after the album dropped in bestbuy. axl rejected bestbuy's promotional plan for the album before and after it hit their stores. axl went into hiding. nobody liked the album

He had just as much promotion as any other band. That's not an excuse. No other band even had the word of mouth type of promotion that a new GNR record did.

It has nothing to do with the promotion. The album just wasn't good enough to impress anyone except the die-hard fans. It's just not that good.

He had just as much promotion as any other band. That's not an excuse. No other band even had the word of mouth type of promotion that a new GNR record did.

It has nothing to do with the promotion. The album just wasn't good enough to impress anyone except the die-hard fans. It's just not that good.

it has everything to do with promotion because axl rose didn't promote the album

CD isn't complex. The arrangements are complex and that's why CD requires several listenings to appreciate it, because there are many details, many sounds at the same time. that's what I love about this band. They work very hard for make original and awesome songs.

and AL, GN'R isn't Nirvana please.

it has everything to do with promotion because axl rose didn't promote the album

He didn't need to do as much promotion as you claim. CD was a widely anticipated album. Even Dr. Pepper did some promotion. Everyone and their grandmother knew what Chinese Democracy was. The internet is the way to promote these days and with a bored response to the album from the general fanbase, the material itself was the downfall.

He didn't need to do as much promotion as you claim. CD was a widely anticipated album. Even Dr. Pepper did some promotion. Everyone and their grandmother knew what Chinese Democracy was. The internet is the way to promote these days and with a bored response to the album from the general fanbase, the material itself was the downfall.

didn't need promotion?

the album disappointed with a #3 first week debut on billboard top 200 album chart. and from there disappeared off that chart. the embarrassing part is appetite re-charted on that chart. and an unauthorized GH record keeps kicking ass on that chart. outselling chinese democracy by millions

still say the album didn't need promotion, bro?

Edited by finck6

The disappointment was the material, not because they didn't mail pamphlets out to everyone. Tell me some other bands that had the same kind of buzz for their album? The anticipation was there but the material sucked and no one talked about it anymore.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree!!

God told Kurt that the Kid on the cover of Nevermind was 20 years old now, It totally Blew Kurts Mind !!!

CD realistically should have debuted at #1. It's perfectly reasonable to expect Axl Rose to outsell Kanye West and Taylor Swift in the 21st century. :rolleyes:

GNR 20 years ago...#1 GNR today...less relevant. Everyone outside of die-hards moved on.

CD realistically should have debuted at #1. It's perfectly reasonable to expect Axl Rose to outsell Kanye West and Taylor Swift in the 21st century. :rolleyes:

exactly it's reasonable. if axl rose had properly promoted the record months in advance.....chinese democracy would have crushed kanyne west & taylor swift with a #1 debut first week on the top 200 billboard album chart. but axl didn't promote it. axl rejected bestbuy's promotion plan

didn't need promotion?

the album disappointed with a #3 first week debut on billboard top 200 album chart. and from there disappeared off that chart. the embarrassing part is appetite re-charted on that chart. and an unauthorized GH record keeps kicking ass on that chart. outselling chinese democracy by millions

still say the album didn't need promotion, bro?

ShutUp Queenie,Go Chat with your friend Sanna.

The disappointment was the material, not because they didn't mail pamphlets out to everyone. Tell me some other bands that had the same kind of buzz for their album? The anticipation was there but the material sucked and no one talked about it anymore.

look. if axl promoted the album as hard as he promotes these cash grab tours of slash greatest hits....we'd have all the unreleased chinese democracy material on multiple guns n roses albums by now

look. if axl promoted the album as hard as he promotes these cash grab tours of slash greatest hits....we'd have all the unreleased chinese democracy material on multiple guns n roses albums by now

Give it to the other guys, not me. I'm not taking that bait.

If the material was good enough, people would be buying the new record instead of AFD and GH's.

Give it to the other guys, not me. I'm not taking that bait.

If the material was good enough, people would be buying the new record instead of AFD and GH's.

you're not listening. it's about promotion. you could have 13 shitty songs. but if it's promoted properly.....it debuts #1 on all the charts