who picked chinese democracy as the first single?

HisRoyalSweetness

I would think it was the label's. I seemed to recall that the band was pushing for Shackler's Revenge as the first single, tying into the Rock Band 3 release. MSL might be able to shed more info on this since he helped leaked the song.

Also have to wonder if the band was plugging Better as the first single since they had the Harley Davidson advertisement all ready to go.

Since Axl pretty much washed his hands of promoting the album through proper channels, one must figure that he likely did not support the title track being used as the first single. At least, that's how I perceive it.

Cheers,

Andrew

i could see wanting to use it just for the name recognition factor. but the choice to have a 2 minute sound effects intro on your lead single seems staggeringly inept. not that i think cd is particularly radio friendly. but they absolutely could have picked a song with better odds of getting played.

was it azoff's choice? if so, it would certainly seem to validate axl's claim that he was intentionally trying to sink chinese democracy in order to engineer a reunion.

i could see wanting to use it just for the name recognition factor. but the choice to have a 2 minute sound effects intro on your lead single seems staggeringly inept. not that i think cd is particularly radio friendly. but they absolutely could have picked a song with better odds of getting played.

The single that went out to radio stations would have included the album version and the radio edited version. No studio would be dumb enough to send out a single to radio stations that only contained the version with the two minute atmosphere or "effect" intro. When my band was dealing with labels, their number one concern when it comes to songs (particularly for new bands) is that the chorus must be heard within 30 seconds of the song's beginning.

I believe most stations played the album cut the very first few times they played Chinese Democracy as a means to build up excitement, but soon after they switched to the radio edit that chopped off the intro. Like I said, this is a common practice by studios and was not a factor with why Chinese Democracy was not a hit with legs.

was it azoff's choice? if so, it would certainly seem to validate axl's claim that he was intentionally trying to sink chinese democracy in order to engineer a reunion.

Who knows, but my bet it wasn't Azoff's decision. The label almost always makes these calls over the objections of the band and their management. I remember Velvet Revolver really wanted their label to release Sucker Train Blues as the third single, so much so that they tailored their video to include a train. But the studio was adamant about Dirty Little Thing being the next single and simply incorporated the band's train video into their promotion of Dirty Little Thing.

I know we want to blame Azoff for Chinese Democracy's lack luster reception (or certain people's general expectations of how it should have sold), but the truth is much murkier than that.

Cheers,

Andrew

I don't mind Chi dem as the first single. Like shot across the bow like Jungle or YCBM.

But to drop the ball on Better which is the Scom single was a disaster. The label told Axl not to make a vid. Which is a joke. But BB had everyone covered.

Axl made a video but maybe Bucket n Finck leaving made it redundant.

the station that played chinese democracy where i lived never cut the intro, i think they should have IMO but like some have said better was the layup it was the give me it was the big neon sign that said release me, it was the clear cut choice for the first single IMO then i think it should have been shacklers as the second single IMO

I don't know, but that person does not deserve a job.

Better is the obvious choice. It would've been absolutely perfect. One of the worst decisions ever made in GN'R world, in my opinion.

Agreed.

The song is very generic.

Better first, SOD second, Shacklers....then one of the Axl songs - catcher, Twat or sorry.

I don't know, but that person does not deserve a job.

Better is the obvious choice. It would've been absolutely perfect. One of the worst decisions ever made in GN'R world, in my opinion.

Agreed.

The song is very generic.

Better first, SOD second, Shacklers....then one of the Axl songs - catcher, Twat or sorry.

Agreed

downzy -

I would assume it was the label's decision as well. Better was intended as the first single in previous years, but the song lost some juice due to the numerous leaks.

I can't speak for every country, but I can say without question that there was NOT a radio edit supplied to stations in the US. I would imagine this could have been tied into Axl's lack of cooperation. He may have blocked an edit from being made. I do think the long intro DEFINITELY hurt airplay.

That's crazy that they didn't send a radio edit to the stations. I only assumed that this occurred as 1) it would be insane not to; 2) almost happens with every band; 3) here in Canada, once the novelty and excitement died down, stations started the song where the guitar riff came in. Perhaps the stations edited the song themselves to fit their criteria.

It's curious if Axl regrets not pushing the album more when it came out. I can understand the mindset that he must have been in considering the adverse relationship he was having with Azoff at the time, but to not approve a radio edit of the first single or be a little more proactive concerning videos and whatnot must seem somewhat self-sabotaging now.

Cheers,

Andrew

While I don't think it was the best single they could have used, it got a lot of airplay and positive feedback. I think something sounding more like older GNR would have worked much better though. I still love the song. One of the best on CD for sure.

Chinese Democracy was a weak choice of a first single. Better would have been the best in my opinion. I believe Better was the 2nd single. I've never heard a CD song played on the radio yet, so something didn't work.

okay, if irving azoff, one of the smartest managers and businessmen in the industry, sent the single of chinese democracy out to all the stations without at least giving the option of an actual radio edit, then maybe he really was intentionally trying to sabotage chinese democracy's success. it's such a colossally horrible idea that i simply can't accept azoff being blind-sided by its failure.