"God Particle" Discovery Announced!

Dazey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

War of the Worlds...see at 2:45 where Gene Barry explains how the Martian weapons work.....they neutralize the atomic glue (god particle?) which holds matter together...this movie was made in 1953 way ahead of its time..........love that movie.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQfF5fGPLYM

Edited by classicrawker

Well, it was predictable that the finding would be announced at the ICHEP 2012, but, after last events in the CERN, I think we should take these news with some caution.:lol:

Anyway, we are closer than ever and I think very soon will be confirmed.

Damnit where's Aaron when you need him? <_<

Maybe he has better things to do. B)

I'm here!

Very "exciting" news. I hope it turns out that they're correct. It'll give non-scientists a lot more faith that the whole particle physics scheme isn't bollocks.

For WillieC, quantum mechanics/quantum field theory is no more or less of a "guess" than the theory of gravity or something that you're more familiar with, it's just that it's much harder to explain to a layperson so it sounds more "made up". The whole of physics is essentially guessing and checking that we guessed right though. Actually, the "strangeness" of nature is what makes it fascinating to most scientists.

I don't know that book but keep reading, I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Another good popular science book is "The search for Schrödinger's cat" (can't remember the author), if you're still interested in physics, I'd highly recommend you check that out.