Was having a guitarist as iconic as Slash a double-edged sword for GnR?

Madridista

Seems like the floodgates opened with this thread and the most ridiculous of the ridiculous Slash haters came into the light

But it's ok for Axl and GNR haters to run their mouths freely? Seriously? This is some fucked up shit.

This is a GNR fan forum after all not a Slash fan forum.

Well everyone should be treated with respect. Set the example then if you don't like the "Axl haters -" don't stoop to their level like you have with the posts in this thread, because that renders your complains useless if you become the same entity you are complaining about. And I don't know what to tell you, Slash will forever be a topic talked about so maybe just not click on those threads and if they are in the wrong section report them to the mods?

I should not have to report anything. Mods should be taking care of business...I know they are busy restructuring and all that but they can assign one for board control.

I just want to come here and interact with GNR fans and not the little cupcakes that flood this place.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to come here and interact with GNR fans and not the little cupcakes that flood this place.

And that is all and good, but don't you think you are posting things in this thread that could be constituted as "trolling"? I mean reading over some of these posts it doesn't give a lot of potency to your point when they are worded and expressed like that. And yes I know you will present the "Slash = wrong section" argument, but alas here we are in a Slash thread in this section and I see better options then what had been executed here thus far.

And that is all and good, but don't you think you are posting things in this thread that could be constituted as "trolling"? I mean reading over some of these posts it doesn't give a lot of potency to your point when they are worded and expressed like that. And yes I know you will present the "Slash = wrong section" argument, but alas here we are in a Slash thread in this section and I see better options then what had been executed here thus far.

Call it "trolling' if you want it doesn't change the fact that people come here daily for no reason but to call Axl fat, Ca$hba etc....

It makes it soooooo not enjoyable especially when they have specific sections to discuss how betta is just a housekeeper, jarmo is a hitler etc...

And downzy thanks for talking to time to post intelligently even though you tried to insult me. Correct about the Mike phelps comparison but this aint the first time Slash stunk up the joint. (see his Beat it solo :rofl-lol: )

Sorry, I didn't mean or intend to insult you. When I comment on the logic you usually employ, it's not meant as a direct personal attack on yourself. I just find too often you treat your own opinion as fact and are bereft to the possibility that others might see things differently. You can point to performances by Slash like La Grange or Beat It as proof that the man can't play, but the same could be done with Axl (or anyone for that matter). Finding the few instances where you feel Slash underperformed and using them as proof that he is a sub-par guitar player isn't helping your case. I could easily do the same with Axl, but it wouldn't be true. The man is a great vocalist who has had weak performance moments (like all great vocalists). I wouldn't use those moments as an argument for why he can't sing, but that's exactly what you do in your quest to illustrate why you think Slash can't play. That's great that you've played the guitarist for 15 years, but guys like Keith Richards, Zakk Wylde, DJ Ashba, Michael Jackson, Lenny Kravitz and many other respected musicians would disagree. I'm inclined to believe in their opinion but that doesn't mean you can't have your own. It just means you have to acknowledge that others might rightfully disagree with you because they see something in Slash that you do not.

And again, the point of this thread wasn't meant to discuss the merits of Slash as a player. The OP wanted to discuss the difficulties Axl has had in combating the perceptions that people have of GNR without Slash in it due to Slash's iconic image. Yet it has degenerated into the usual bullshit over whether Slash can play or not (and what kind of person you prescribe him to be). I do not think most people around here have a problem with arguments or disagreements (it's what I enjoy the most around here). But what gets old and annoying is attempts like the one you've made in this thread to change the conversation from what the OP originally intended to what we're discussing now. In every one of my of my posts I've attempted to discuss what OP was trying to discuss. How many of your posts in this thread can you say the same thing.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

If Slash had retained the GnR name, we'd be getting the usual typical hipster blues cock rock under the GnR banner.

Hipster? never thought of Slash's music as hipster LOL...

As his haters like to point out he has been playing the same type of music his whole career...I must have missed the memo when it suddenly became hipster................

Edited by classicrawker

DJ ASHBAtm > $lash on a technical level? :shocked:

ASHBAtm can't even play $lash's solos. $lash is hardly a technician, but DJ would even get laughed off youtube. The dude is an average at best guitarist. I like the ballad of death, however it would be much better if it were played by someone who could play the instrument. Or could write music. Maybe I don't like the ballad of death.

Definitely a double-edged sword. If Slash had retained the GnR name, we'd be getting the usual typical hipster blues cock rock under the GnR banner.

Good for Axl- dare to be different. Slash is an iconic player, yes, but his drugs came before his instrument and that's why he didn't really grow as a musician. I mean, don't get me wrong, I miss his right-handed picking technique and his phrasing on the legato passages in GnR songs, but when it comes to creativity, he's mining a popular well.

Axl made the unpopular decision to carry on with GnR. And despite all the naysayers making up lies that Axl is so insulated he doesn't know what he's doing, the truth is Axl knows exactly what he's doing. And if you don't like it, fuck you have a nice day.

Remember something, it's a double edged sword for Slash too. Whoops. You know it has to sting to have given up the very thing that defines your existence. Hmm.

I think if you look at what Janes Addiction did and how their CDs have fared, that's pretty much along the lines of how a reformed GNR would do.

i have never been the biggest slash fan i will always love him for gnr. :shrugs:

as for the double edged sword i really dont know. to me izzy was the irreplaceible original member not slash.

DJ Ashba™ is technically more gifted than Slash?

Indeed.

Mi Amor / BOD > godfather solo (Slash can't even play it right anymore lol And how many years has he been playing it?)

totally agree that slash needs an iconic singer. and some real songwriters.

Yep he has a lot of potential if surrounded by great song writers.

Lolcano, you are literally fucked in the head and retarded. That's all I'm going to bother to write. This has to be a cupcake. Ashba makes more mistakes live in one show that Slash has ever made in his entire career, doped out of his mind.

DJ Ashba™ better than Slash..... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you have fking problems mate.

Maybe you should stop acting like a little infant and respect other peoples opinions.

LOL. This statement coming from you. You don't know what the word respect means, let alone respecting other peoples opinions. Respecting ones opinions means even those that favor the original lineup. How many times have you been banned, and you have the balls to tell someone else they need to learn to respect others opinions. That's some funny shit.

It saddens me that every single thread in this forum turns into a flame war. To quote some guy that just passed away "Can't we all just get along?". This place would be way better without all the constant fighting. Let's all talk about our favorite band without jumping at each other's throats all the time.

I agree fully........there's a lot of bitchin and bitches on this forum. Relax and have fun..

Correct. You shoud youtube the video of John Mayer and Slash jamming with ZZ Top. It's hilarious how he can't keep up. Mayer was just killing it though!!

I actually felt sorry for him and could not believe this was the same guy that used to be in GNR.

Then there is the Beat It debacle small_subtle_facepalm.png

Still the dumbest poster on the board.

Slash did an ok job at that show. He's got nothing to prove. In GNR's case, he's as good as it gets. It will never sound the same without him, and he was a huge part of their sound, just check out his latest dvd, where the GNR songs sounds closer to how they are supposed to sound that Axl's band are able to deliver. Excluding the vocals of course.

Slash is iconic in the way he looks, but just as much in the way he sounds. To claim otherwise is just ignorant. His tone and style are easily recognizable no matter who he plays with. He might not be the a technical freak on the guitar, but since when did that matter? Since Buckethead joined Guns? Lol, there is hardly a good band out there featuring suchs players. Slash holds out on his own, and he is a damn fine guitarist, one that has loads of character and feel, besides he has made a ton of kick ass riffs. And thats more than enough. No guitarist will ever come close in GNR, cause that spot will allways miss something without Slash. Sad but true.

Triple edge sword, when it comes to Slash.

I'm still playing and loving the Slash and friends album. By the Sword and Beautiful Dangerous, two tracks I was not so keen on (when the album was first released) i'm digging lots over the past few days. I have made attempts to buy the latest Slash album, although HMV are out of stock everytime I go there. Maybe this Sunday they'll have it. Otherwise it'll pick it up off the net.

check out his latest dvd, where the GNR songs sounds closer to how they are supposed to sound that Axl's band are able to deliver.

Do you really think GNR is not skilled enough to play the old material note for note if they were interested in doing so?

Do you really think it is about playing the songs note for note?

The current version does do a very good job of playing the old material, but I will take the HOF performances any day. The fact remains and most likely always will remain, when the majority of fans hear the term Guns N Roses they think slash or axl and slash, that's not going to change no matter how bad a few slash haters on this or any other board want It to.

It saddens me that every single thread in this forum turns into a flame war. To quote some guy that just passed away "Can't we all just get along?". This place would be way better without all the constant fighting. Let's all talk about our favorite band without jumping at each other's throats all the time.

if axl and slash can't get along, why do you expect their fans to?

slash's fans have places they can post, but they choose to post here because slash specific areas and sites are desolate.

True dat,maybe his fans are limelight whores as well?

(did I say that out out loud?)

if axl and slash can't get along, why do you expect their fans to?

slash's fans have places they can post, but they choose to post here because slash specific areas and sites are desolate.

Why do you want Finck6 banned?

Triple edge sword, when it comes to Slash.

I'm still playing and loving the Slash and friends album. By the Sword and Beautiful Dangerous, two tracks I was not so keen on (when the album was first released) i'm digging lots over the past few days. I have made attempts to buy the latest Slash album, although HMV are out of stock everytime I go there. Maybe this Sunday they'll have it. Otherwise it'll pick it up off the net.

I LOVE Beautiful Dangerous.

because queenie aka finck6 (aka vegeta6 aka kenshin aka queeno666) is a complete cupcake account that has been polluting GNR boards for ten years with the same repetitive (and insincere) posts. there's a reason she's been banned here and other places many times.

You realize how ironic this is coming from you right?