Was having a guitarist as iconic as Slash a double-edged sword for GnR?

Madridista

I think Slash and Axl were like lightning in a bottle as it has been described. I don't really see how it was a double edged sword. Axl's success was Axl's. Slash's success was Slash's. Just because Slash became iconic isn't really a bad thing for anyone and help sell records at the end of the day. I remember Steven Tyler answering a question on 60 minutes how Tom and Brad feeling like the back up band and his response was that they should be happy they get drive the nice car they drive and live the life they get to live. No reason to feel bad about success. Slash is keeping the GN'R dream alive for a lot of fans. I've got tickets seeing him in a month.

If your GN'R dream depends on Slash, it will never move out of dream status.

I'm not gonna jump in to this nice little Axl vs.Slash war you have going on here, but 20 years should be long enough for any rational human being to understand that some things weren't meant to be.

Your response didn't really correlate with what I was talking about. I was chatting with Miser and the rest for a few minutes. We were just talking about the past, I never mentioned any dreams about the future. I don't know what dream or war you are talking about.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Slash and Axl were like lightning in a bottle as it has been described. I don't really see how it was a double edged sword. Axl's success was Axl's. Slash's success was Slash's. Just because Slash became iconic isn't really a bad thing for anyone and help sell records at the end of the day. I remember Steven Tyler answering a question on 60 minutes how Tom and Brad feeling like the back up band and his response was that they should be happy they get drive the nice car they drive and live the life they get to live. No reason to feel bad about success. Slash is keeping the GN'R dream alive for a lot of fans. I've got tickets seeing him in a month.

If your GN'R dream depends on Slash, it will never move out of dream status.

I'm not gonna jump in to this nice little Axl vs.Slash war you have going on here, but 20 years should be long enough for any rational human being to understand that some things weren't meant to be.

Your response didn't really correlate with what I was talking about. I was chatting with Miser and the rest for a few minutes. We were just talking about the past, I never mentioned any dreams about the future. I don't know what dream or war you are talking about.

The dream reference was to the last line of your post stating that Slash is keeping the name alive.

I thought that you were involved withe the whole MSL & Volcano argument. If you say you weren't, I'll take your word for it. Already read the thread once, no need to do so again.

Ok, I did mention dream in my post but I meant that in an abstract way. I didn't mean they would reunite or anything. I just mean fans can be content in seeing Slash live and continue to make albums in the vein of the past albums.

Ok, I did mention dream in my post but I meant that in an abstract way. I didn't mean they would reunite or anything. I just mean fans can be content in seeing Slash live and continue to make albums in the vein of the past albums.

True, everyone has that choice. It seems to me that a much larger amount of fans are content with seeing Axl though.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

I do enjoy the current band...... LIVE, o great ruler o de GnR board, and I will post wen n what I want!

Axl isn't confident in himself. Thats not my problem it's his.

Trainwrecks are fun and I do enjoy the guitarists, minus assba. He is terrible.

And you should step your game up, msl, or Axl will doc your pay , big homie. This board Is hilarious to read an I will continue to do so, when I'm so board and I'm tired of burning ants w a mag glass.

You just continue to think your so smart, an I will continue to laugh at your SMART DEScision, to police these boards.

Shouldn't you be practicing your music?

I see why you like nuGNR so much....... Your music is almost as horrendous as theirs, ......... PUNk. And I'll kill you in any athletic event, you pompous, enlarged, fucking winey child.

Thanks! :)

HA! What in the name of God is 'Winey'? Are you the bozo of the forum :lol:

Ashba is an asset to GNR,a creative force whether you like it or not. :monkey:

Well, don't piss on Axl, and don't piss on anyone that is/was involved with the band.

Can't we have a normal discussion like normal people without it turning into a flame war? what are we 12 years old????

Hell, the break up is even older then 12, yet the bitterness remains.

Yeah, it probably was a huge downfall for GnR. Think about it, Axl was telling Slash what to play and how to play it. Think SCOM riff or the trilogy. If your slash and you are getting huge, do you really want someone telling you "Change that note to this." "That's not what I'm looking for, try again, with passion." Eventually you're going to say "F this, I'm an icon, and THIS is HOW I play guitar."

Add to that the strange dynamic created when Axl tells you the "joke riff" for SCOM is "Just what he's been looking for. You fight against using such a "terrible" riff but it goes on to become a signature riff associated with you, and routinely on "best ever" lists of rock riffs. After that if Axl tells you to play a riff because it will be a hit, what is your argument against it? It's frustrating.

I see Slash as the biggest guitar hero of my generation. He was just next in line with a spin on Page/Perry. GNR were a brutal band for brutal times and Slash fit the bill.

he was a great lead player and has a cool image, but hard to compare him to page/perry when really it was izzy writing the tunes.

Then report the account.

i'm sure the mods will do something about it eventually. they probably have more important things to worry about right now. although since i have finck6 blocked, they may have already done something about her for all i know.

That's kind of what being a guitar hero meant to this gen. Not visionary like Page or writing tunes like Perry but just riffs and solos with a harder edge and cool style. If it was songwriting Izzy would have been huge. But it was more riffs n image. Axl is more Page than Slash.

Oh, so you think those guys weren't original at all, not even Hendrix? I have no further comment on this subject, nothing else to add to this after what your said, sorry.

They added their own style to the music and wrote original songs but it is all based on the old blues players whose music they studied and learned from...Hendrix may have been the most original of the bunch but he even admitted in interviews his music was based on the old blues players so no they did not create something totally unique..And as much as I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page he is one of the bigger thiefs of the bunch...many of his songs were nicked from other musicians especially the first Zep album with no credit gven unitl they sued him...

I love SRV but his music is just his interpretation of the blues...same with Clapton who in fact did a whole tour playing nothing but old Blues standards................I don't see why Slash is so different from the other guitar heroes? He made original music based on his influences like Aerosmith which made music based on their influences................just another reason to try to discredit Slash by his haters I think.............

I saw Clapton play "No pop, no rock, nothing but the blues" and it was awesome and clearly Clapton because that's how music evolves. Artists play what they love and add their own nuances. Slash did the same and so will future guitarists who will be influenced by Slash and so on, and so on......

Edited by Orsys

I'm sure there were shows Tyler didn't feel like being there, or even knew he was there, but he remembers where he came from and enjoys the perks of being a rock star. They talked about how Tyler gets bossy and can be cruel at times. And I don't think Perry's all that different than Slash when it comes to speaking his mind at times, and not saying anything at all, at other times. He does seem like he's fairly down to earth (rock stars are never completely "one of us" nor do we want them to be) compared to Tyler.

When Perry talked about going on without Tyler, you saw how fast he showed up at Joe's show.

No, I don't. I've loved the various live versions of the classic material from 2001-2012.

But you said Slash plays the songs "closer to how they are SUPPOSED to sound" than GNR is "able to deliver."

Which begs the question . . . do you really think GNR is not able to deliver the songs note for note or do you think they choose not to?

Then I'll have to ask you once again: Do you really think it is about playing the songs note for note?

The new band are absolutely able to deliever the songs note for note. Slash is playing the songs closer to how they are supposed to sound, or did sound by the original band, cause they have the groove/swing/swagger, call it what you want, and feel of how they were when they were played by those who actually wrote the stuff. I can play the songs note for note, at least most of them, but that doesn't mean they sound like they should.

Why does Axl need an "iconic" guitar player?

I won't name any names, but some people obsess over it. I think that's the biggest reason why. They are like 40 year old "children" in the looney bin rocking back and forth repeating "Why can't Mommy and Daddy love each other again?" 30 years after their parents divorce.

why axl can't seem to get a real iconic guitar player in his band?

I won't name any names.

but you said slash delivers them more like they're supposed to sound than GNR is *ABLE* to do.

which is 100% bullshit.

Well, imo your wrong. I don't think they are capable of it. That's because they are different musicians. None of them are very rock n' roll. Ashba tries, Fortus is the closest, Bumble comes from a totally different place. They do different thing than a rock n' roll band would do.

I aslo disagree with you about Axl in this. I see that he wants a more modern sound and feel in the newer stuff. But I can't find any reason to why he would take the old songs, and give them a more modern approach when it makes them worse. It's all about the band, they have a more modern view of it all what so ever, more high tech, more attack, crossing more over to a modern metalish production and feel to point it somewhere.