The Stone Roses/Guns n' Roses

Dazey

Two bands feted as the best of their generation. Both with a debut album that will be forever thought of as one of the all time greats. Both had a long time away and came back with an album that was drastically different from their previous work that was effectively a solo work by a single member. Both of whom had an effective split and came back after more than a decade. Difference being that one was the fastest selling concerts in UK history and are still held in high critical regard and the other, though still amazing, aren't.

One question. Why?

Also listen to this and tell me you wouldn't like to hear John Squire play something with Axl? Solo from about 4 minutes in.

Edited by Dazey

Wasn't Slash rumored to have been offered to join the Stone Roses around 1994?

No idea but I fucking hope not. As much as I love Slash John Squire is a much better player, at least in that context.

As much of a cock that Brown is...this was, and is, one of the best bands of all time.

The difference is, Ian Brown didn't come out 10 years later with only himself (amd 4 session players) and calling the act 'The Stone Roses'.

Some people know the concept of dignity....Axl Rose, his scabs, and a lot of his younger followers have no grasp of such concept...

As much of a cock that Brown is...this was, and is, one of the best bands of all time.

The difference is, Ian Brown didn't come out 10 years later with only himself (amd 4 session players) and calling the act 'The Stone Roses'.

Some people know the concept of dignity....Axl Rose, his scabs, and a lot of his younger followers have no grasp of such concept...

Great post! I would love to see John Squire play with Axl though.

The English really love and support their homegrown bands, don't they? The Stone Roses are/were a great band, the ticket sales have been spectacular.

Not sure of any comparison to GnR, really. The Stone Roses are doing a full on reunion, I imagine GnR's ticket sales for a similar reunion would be great as well, but Axl has made it perfectly clear that it's not worth it for him no matter how much money they threw at him to do it. Will there be a new Stone Roses album at some point or is this just a cash grab tour B)

Absolutely nothing to be drawn - GNR is a brilliant band - The Stone Roses is a guy who thinks he's Page, 2 guys that should stick to being in Black Grape or whatever and an absolute fucking GOON talking into a microphone. I'm sorry but I just don't get Ian Brown. Listen to his fucking dour, soulless "vocal" on that live vid above. What am I missing with this guy. I saw his solo act live once in an arena - worst show I've ever seen. Although his guitar player then was entertaining.

The English really love and support their homegrown bands, don't they? The Stone Roses are/were a great band, the ticket sales have been spectacular.

Not sure of any comparison to GnR, really. The Stone Roses are doing a full on reunion, I imagine GnR's ticket sales for a similar reunion would be great as well, but Axl has made it perfectly clear that it's not worth it for him no matter how much money they threw at him to do it. Will there be a new Stone Roses album at some point or is this just a cash grab tour B)

They've signed for at least two albums and I can't wait to hear them! :)

Absolutely nothing to be drawn - GNR is a brilliant band - The Stone Roses is a guy who thinks he's Page, 2 guys that should stick to being in Black Grape or whatever and an absolute fucking GOON talking into a microphone. I'm sorry but I just don't get Ian Brown. Listen to his fucking dour, soulless "vocal" on that live vid above. What am I missing with this guy. I saw his solo act live once in an arena - worst show I've ever seen. Although his guitar player then was entertaining.

Oh dear! Their first album is on par with anything Guns have ever done and I'm a massive GnR fan.

John Squire was the talent in The Stone Roses. Axl is way more talented than Ian Brown.

Dazey, have you gone to see The Stone Roses yet? I'm really hoping they come here for a tour.

Had a ticket for Heaton Park last week but had to sell it. Saw Ian Brown at Glastonbury 05 and he was really good. At the end of the day the songs are what matter and the Stone Roses have some fucking belters!

Yeah, it's a shame they broke up in the 90's. I've never listened to any of Brown's solo stuff, but I do have the Seahorses album. Squire hasn't released anything since that though, has he?

Yeah he released a couple of solo records but nothing of note. End of the day it's all about the combination of certain people and Ian Brown is a good lyricist. Reni is also one of the best drummers ever to pick up a stick.

Squire released a couple solo albums. Unfinished Monkey Business by Brown is pretty good.

The Greatest by Ian Brown clooneys all his solo stuff and remixes with UNKLE.

The Second Coming is really good.

I the diff is that the Roses debut wasn't as big internationally? it didn't sell 20 mil or whatever. It was a big record in the UK, then when they came back they made this sort indei Zepp record that wasn't really rock enough for the US, or really like a Stone roses album anyone in the UK was expecting. But it's a pretty good record.

Whereas GNR came back and delivered what everyone wanted and expecting with UYI

The first album is up there with anything any other band has done in my opinion. Just a stunning collection of songs, time and place snapshot I guess. Working class Englishmen might have a slightly easier job of 'getting' them but I don't think it's too much of a leap for anyone to take something from their songs. Very honest lyrics, a very distinct sound and a very good debut. Quite a lot of parallels in terms of legacy and talent with GN'R I think; similarly when replacements were brought into the Roses for Reni and Squire, the band were slammed and largely ridiculed especially when you had performances like Reading 1995 to go off...

That said, I don't think Ian Brown has a patch on Axl in the arsehole stakes, but neither do I think he's as talented as Axl has proven he can be. Both great bands, amazing music, and at the end of the day that's what you pay for, I hope..

I saw The Roses a couple of weeks ago here in Denmark. Front row. Pretty surrealistic to be honest. I only started listening to them a year ago or so after my obsession with Oasis had started to cool down a bit and I wanted something "new" in form of even older british music. The Smiths and The Stone Roses got thrown on the iPod, and I immediately got the hype. I had always known the band names and a couple of their songs, but never really listened to it. Especially The Roses and Squire's playing could almost throw me into another world. It sounds so cheesy, but it's true. The only bad thing about all of this was that I knew they would never reform. And then it fucking happened. And they came to my little shit country. :lol: The friends I was with at the festival didn't care at all about them, so I went to their gig by myself. And the next day the concert was given 1 star by a shitty reviewer (who obviously hated Ian Brown and the band before watching the gig.)

But I had the time of my life! They really know how a reunion is supposed to be like.

I saw The Roses a couple of weeks ago here in Denmark. Front row. Pretty surrealistic to be honest. I only started listening to them a year ago or so after my obsession with Oasis had started to cool down a bit and I wanted something "new" in form of even older british music. The Smiths and The Stone Roses got thrown on the iPod, and I immediately got the hype. I had always known the band names and a couple of their songs, but never really listened to it. Especially The Roses and Squire's playing could almost throw me into another world. It sounds so cheesy, but it's true. The only bad thing about all of this was that I knew they would never reform. And then it fucking happened. And they came to my little shit country. :lol: The friends I was with at the festival didn't care at all about them, so I went to their gig by myself. And the next day the concert was given 1 star by a shitty reviewer (who obviously hated Ian Brown and the band before watching the gig.)

But I had the time of my life! They really know how a reunion is supposed to be like.

They're the band that literally made me care about music. That's how good that first album fucking is!

Guest Len B'stard

Saw em on Saturday. Yeah, Slash wanted to join but Brownie told him to fuck off.

Trivia: A young Ian Brown was at the filming of this video: