Was Old GN'R's end anticlimactic?

DexterMorganFan

Old GN'R released the UYIs, went on tour for two years and suddenly came to an abrupt halt, released a cover album in 1993, then released a cover single in 1994, then imploded. Then in 1996 Slash's departure was announced. The band--the original band--slowly died over the next couple of years, but no formal announcement of the old band's death was made. It just kind of crawled to a slow demise after 1993...

Compare to other bands:

-Nirvana ended with In Utero, an artistic high note, and arguably one of their best songs was recorded just before Kurt's death

-The Doors ended with LA Woman, which some consider to be their second best album, before Jim's untimely death.

-Led Zeppelin ended with In Through the Out Door. While it's considered a subpar album compared to previous releases, it still had two big hits.

GN'R's end just seems like it was very anticlimactic and almost embarassing. They started as a band ass rock band, released four classic albums...And then released a bunch of cover songs and imploded. They, for all intents and purposes, ended their career as a cover band. It just seems like it ended far too soon, like there could've been so much more...I mean legacy wise, it's sucky because it's like their last release was a cover album. Even if their last release had been a subpar album of original material, it just seems like there would've been more closure.

Def Leppard sang, "It's better to burn out than fade away."

What do you think happened to Gn'R? Did they burn out or did they fade away?

Yeah, they didn't go out on a high note. It leaves me wondering where they'd be today in the musical landscape. Not just the classic lineup but even Axl and his new vision had he actually gotten something out to the masses before the new millennium. We'll never know.

Old GN'R released the UYIs, went on tour for two years and suddenly came to an abrupt halt, released a cover album in 1993, then released a cover single in 1994, then imploded. Then in 1996 Slash's departure was announced. The band--the original band--slowly died over the next couple of years, but no formal announcement of the old band's death was made. It just kind of crawled to a slow demise after 1993...

Compare to other bands:

-Nirvana ended with In Utero, an artistic high note, and arguably one of their best songs was recorded just before Kurt's death

-The Doors ended with LA Woman, which some consider to be their second best album, before Jim's untimely death.

-Led Zeppelin ended with In Through the Out Door. While it's considered a subpar album compared to previous releases, it still had two big hits.

GN'R's end just seems like it was very anticlimactic and almost embarassing. They started as a band ass rock band, released four classic albums...And then released a bunch of cover songs and imploded. They, for all intents and purposes, ended their career as a cover band. It just seems like it ended far too soon, like there could've been so much more...I mean legacy wise, it's sucky because it's like their last release was a cover album. Even if their last release had been a subpar album of original material, it just seems like there would've been more closure.

You never know how long a band can hold it together. Hendrix played a ton of shows and people passed on him, including Jimmy Page, because they figured "I'll catch the next show".

I don't know if it ended too soon or at the right time, but I just blame the way things were for a band like theirs in 1994 for part of it. They rode Illusions for way too long, but maybe that was for the best.

But as far as over? It never really stopped, Reed and Tobias kept some of the momentum up with Axl, while Slash and Duff were off doing side projects and endless jam sessions without Axl in the room. But as Axl had said in the chats, Slash "did not care". That comment seemed to get under his skin, but the pissing contest over the songs, Slash telling Axl to shut up and sing, I don't know how there would be a "my way or the highway" from Slash if Axl was in charge, but even though Axl owned the name, I guess he couldn't just fire Duff and Slash the way he did Matt. There's prob. way more legal crap to it, but there are mind games people play, supervisors will do this to subordinates, to make the work environment in such a way that they choose to leave, voluntarily resign, so they don't have to pay out benefits.