Who is the most British of all the British Bands?

Randy Lahey

Who is the most British of all the British bands? It's gotta be the Kinks, in my opinion. I'm going to see Ray Davies on Friday. Hopefully this time I don't get kicked out before the show starts.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Does British exist? Suppose it would be a band that has various members. Oasis seem British. They prob big in Scotland.

Kinks are very English. Blur are too, with Londan slant. Zepp and Sabbath are very midlands. The midlands is the home of metal.

The Beatles are early on then turn into hos to the dollars.

Blurs Parklife really couldn't be anything but English.

British seems to be England,Scotland and Wales, maybe even N.Ireland. So British means anyone in UK. Although British Isles is Eng, Scot and Wales, then add N.I. to get UK. So I'm confused.

So a band that goes over well all over the UK. Oasis maybe an example. Gallaghers are from Irish immigrant background, living in Manchester. One of their drummers was Scottish. I don't know. But maybe their music sounds really English.

Floyd seems to embody the dourness and rain of british life. At first very Englsih, Cambridge, psychedelics. Then turn into more British band.

The Kinks, Beatles, Blur seem very English. They don't seem Scottish or Welsh.

So British is non-specific really. It's so broad as not to be useful. The Kinks album doesn't seem to relate to Scottish life.

There are some Scottish bands like Runrig and AC/DC. Were The Proclaimers Scottish? If so they must be the most Scottish. Welsh, there's The Alarm and The Manics.

Ray Davies is often cited as the best English songwriter ever.

Paul Weller also maybe.

There are some Scottish bands like Runrig and AC/DC. Were The Proclaimers Scottish? If so they must be the most Scottish. Welsh, there's The Alarm and The Manics.

Paul Weller also maybe.

AC/DC is not scottish, they are Australian.

Iron Maiden is English, maybe you mixed them up?

I think the Kinks and Sex Pistols are very Brittish. So are the Beatles.

Paul Weller also maybe.

Wasn't Bon from Scotland? And I believe Angus and Malcolm were Scottish immigrants.

Then Brian Johnson is a Geordie?

I've never known who wrote what in The Beatles. Sgt Peppers seems very English.

Def Leppard were English but they look and sounded American.

the Stones also seem American. I suppose early stuff sounds like 60s London.

Paul Weller also maybe.

b

Wasn't Bon from Scotland? And I believe Angus and Malcolm were Scottish immigrants.

Bon was true. And you are also right about Angus and Malcolm, but than you can't consider anybody from Australia and Australian. But true roots are Scottish.

Edited by MBRose

Maybe I should change the title to the most English of the English? All the bands mentioned have been from England as far as I know, and that's really what I meant.

Yeah, I think a typically Scottish band or a typically Welsh or Irish Band would be rather different from a typical English band. For the Taffs though I'd recommend The Manic Street Preachers and The Super Furry Animals. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myj-RhUqMtY

No votes for Slade? Huge band in the 70s in most of the world apart from America - cos some Americans don't realise there are other countries in the world besides their own!! :P

Yeah they sounded pretty cool playing Quiet Riot songs.

:P

Hahaha...they were together 25 years, the same 4 members too. No changes at all, wrote their own music & didn't make hit records out of other's songs! dry.gif

Mind you Quiet Riot made them some money I guess so can't complain too much. :rolleyes:

Pet Shop Boys are very English too. In terms of image.

But if talking english there's a certain english psychedelia were talking about maybe. The Beatles, Floyd.

Slade are like the best pub rock band ever.

Pub rock band??? :thumbsdown: Now listen here Charlie - they had hits going straight to No 1 which hadn't been done since the Beatles, played all over the world to sellout concerts.

Pub rock band indeed :anger:

And yes AC/DC are Australian, came to Oz as small children but they played at my school in 1975 & have Australian accents (not that we have accents).

Guest Len B'stard

No votes for Slade? Huge band in the 70s in most of the world apart from America - cos some Americans don't realise there are other countries in the world besides their own!! :P

Yeah they sounded pretty cool playing Quiet Riot songs.

:P

Hahaha...they were together 25 years, the same 4 members too. No changes at all, wrote their own music & didn't make hit records out of other's songs! dry.gif

Mind you Quiet Riot made them some money I guess so can't complain too much. :rolleyes:

Pet Shop Boys are very English too. In terms of image.

But if talking english there's a certain english psychedelia were talking about maybe. The Beatles, Floyd.

Slade are like the best pub rock band ever.

Pub rock band??? :thumbsdown: Now listen here Charlie - they had hits going straight to No 1 which hadn't been done since the Beatles, played all over the world to sellout concerts.

Pub rock band indeed :anger:

And yes AC/DC are Australian, came to Oz as small children but they played at my school in 1975 & have Australian accents (not that we have accents).

You do know Pub Rock was a genre and not an insult, yeah?