I figured out why Axl said "Come on!" in this Video

Tyler Drama

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl knows that there's going to be mistakes, but when he's paying for guys who are supposed to have the songs down, it's going to annoy him the times that they're off. They're minor problems to us, but to him they're significant. If he falls on his ass or messes up a song, he'll own up to it.

I don't think it's right of him to do the ass chewing in public, but I doubt he dwells on it for long. Show must go on. But it's not like James Brown where he'd fine his band for fucking up with hand signals. I can't even imagine how that feels.

I never knew he relies on Frank to give him the cue to when he needs to start singing again, I always thought he was just paying attention backstage and could figure out when the next verse is coming up and he has to come out since he's been playing these songs for about half of his lifetime now. These guys must take so much shit from Axl, I'm sure stuff like this doesn't even bother them.

I never knew he relies on Frank to give him the cue to when he needs to start singing again, I always thought he was just paying attention backstage and could figure out when the next verse is coming up and he has to come out since he's been playing these songs for about half of his lifetime now. These guys must take so much shit from Axl, I'm sure stuff like this doesn't even bother them.

I think you misunderstand. It's not a cue like that.. It's a musical cue, where the song is supposed to go on - to the next part. It's often split up by the drummer doing drumfill, that's what Axl is waiting for here.

He could start singing without having Frank doing a drumfill first, but the point is having common understanding of where they are at in the song.

Edited by Jeez

I can't figure out if this was left off the Rock am Ring broadcast because of:

-The fuck up at the beginning (which didn't matter because like Patience Axl turned it around into a great performance anyway)

or

-The Martin Luther King quotes not being able to be broadcast because of licensing issues

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Find the mistake:

This and NR from Rock In Rio from last year are perfect examples of what I was talking about, and the kinda stuff I don't get with Axl. He's on-stage and has been playing these songs for forever...how does he not know by now when he's supposed to kick in with the verses?

This and NR from Rock In Rio from last year are perfect examples of what I was talking about, and the kinda stuff I don't get with Axl. He's on-stage and has been playing these songs for forever...how does he not know by now when he's supposed to kick in with the verses?

No idea, but I'm guessing it could have something to do with alcohol.

I was surprised when I watched my very first GN'R DVD (Tokyo) when I was little and Axl, the man who wrote the lyrics and sings the songs every second day or whatever, needed a monitor on stage with the lyrics on it. Even I as a kid knew the lyrics.

Edited by Jeez

It was Brain on drums at the Hammerstein show in question. I was there and I've never felt such a large and collective awkward moment in my life. Brain must have been getting a pretty fat paycheck to swallow being dressed down like that in front of so many people. I felt bad for Brain and ashamed of Axl for being such a prick in that moment.

It's simple really, Axl is allowed to make mistakes on stage, others are not. Axl will give band mates the look of death if they fuck up but laugh about it his own slip ups:

Yet if video existed of Detroit 2002, we'd see Axl get pissed off because someone (I believe it was Stinson) fucked up his part in Patience, resulting in Axl storming off and ending the show early (ie. before Paradise City).

It's one of the hardest things to defend against the guy.

Cheers,

Andrew

http://www.gnrworld.com/bootlegs/video/Detroit/Detroit.mpg

I was surprised when I watched my very first GN'R DVD (Tokyo) when I was little and Axl, the man who wrote the lyrics and sings the songs every second day or whatever, needed a monitor on stage with the lyrics on it. Even I as a kid knew the lyrics.

Most bands use monitors even true profesionals like Pearl Jam, Granted Axl was probably one of the first to use them, but most acts use them now adays, I can't really think of any who don't. But the monitors are a good thing as you can forget lyrics in the heat of the moment especially running around on stage.

But in these clips I think Axl is to blame for missing his cue, in Nighttrain the band is still playing when he wants to end so it's not like Frank messed it up Axl is just 10 seconds to early, as for PC I'm not sure it still sounds like Axl is at fault to me. Cause usually the jam is about 45 seconds longer on any other day. I think it's just Axl being early and Frank not making the adjustments cause he's not sure.

in Nighttrain the band is still playing when he wants to end so it's not like Frank messed it up Axl is just 10 seconds to early

Actually, before they played it, Axl told the band that he wanted to skip Bumblefoot's solo and go straight to the end part. But Frank forgot and kept playing it the way they normally would.

Most bands use monitors even true profesionals like Pearl Jam, Granted Axl was probably one of the first to use them, but most acts use them now adays, I can't really think of any who don't. But the monitors are a good thing as you can forget lyrics in the heat of the moment especially running around on stage.

But in these clips I think Axl is to blame for missing his cue, in Nighttrain the band is still playing when he wants to end so it's not like Frank messed it up Axl is just 10 seconds to early, as for PC I'm not sure it still sounds like Axl is at fault to me. Cause usually the jam is about 45 seconds longer on any other day. I think it's just Axl being early and Frank not making the adjustments cause he's not sure.

This, plus if you perform a song hundred of times you're bound to make a mistake sometime, just because you stop thinking about what you're doing. Or you wait for the bridge/solo to end and go "is it the second or the third verse starting now"?

It happens to everyone, when I saw Eddie Vedder live he forgot to come in the exact moment the vocals start in Just Breathe so he just did an "extended" into then segued into the verse. In a live setting it is expected for anyone and everyone to mess up occasionally, that is just the nature of being human.

Imagine if the band got pissed off at Axl during Nov. Rain at RIR. Oh wait, they can't do that they are merely employees.

Yep hired hands must take the shit. It's Axl's band and paycheck at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

Yet if video existed of Detroit 2002, we'd see Axl get pissed off because someone (I believe it was Stinson) fucked up his part in Patience, resulting in Axl storming off and ending the show early (ie. before Paradise City).

Video does exist!

I can't hear anything wrong with that?

Video does exist!

I can't hear anything wrong with that?

I was at this show and I've still never been able to put my finger on exactly who did what wrong. The DVD and CD are well circulated bootlegs and it's still hard to tell. It's hard to tell exactly who fucked up, but the entire song up til the point Axl threw the mic was a clusterfuck and you don't get that from this video.

Imagine if the band got pissed off at Axl during Nov. Rain at RIR. Oh wait, they can't do that they are merely employees.

Yep hired hands must take the shit. It's Axl's band and paycheck at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

yes, they are his slaves. :rolleyes: Are u retarded? There is nothing wrong being retarded, y'know. Especially on the internet. I am just tryin to clarify this with you hired hands must take shit. STOP.putting them down.axl, gnr or the other musicians. He would have done the same thing if it was with slash or duff or izzy :rolleyes: I suppose he wouldnt be pissed off that much... from the other hand, you can never know. I wish I could watch!!!!! :wub:

They're hired hands at the end of the day, under contract, doing what they're told or fuck off. They were hired hands under contract before your comment and they're still hired hands under contract after this comment. Try harder or "are you retarded?". :rolleyes:

yes, they are his slaves. :rolleyes: Are u retarded? There is nothing wrong being retarded, y'know. Especially on the internet. I am just tryin to clarify this with you hired hands must take shit. STOP.putting them down.axl, gnr or the other musicians. He would have done the same thing if it was with slash or duff or izzy :rolleyes: I suppose he wouldnt be pissed off that much... from the other hand, you can never know. I wish I could watch!!!!!

They're hired hands at the end of the day, under contract, doing what they're told or fuck off. They were hired hands under contract before your comment and they're still hired hands under contract after this comment. Try harder or "are you retarded?". :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmm you are just jealous thats all. Everybody has a contract, Mr. Loba Loba, get over the employment specifications of a musician. Thats not the point here, sugar-tits.

Yeah ok, they are not the original line-up, never said the opposite, but you try to lower their contribution and its not really nice sugar-tits.

Hired hands do not co-write music. haha , gotcha. & I have won. rock3

Jealous of? Not every musician is under contract, not when they form a band from scratch. Oh shit, the hired hands have no say in that right? :laugh:

People that are under contract and working for their boss are employees and considered "hired hands". Love it, hate it, moan, bitch, cry about it. It doesn't change facts. The hired hands are working FOR Guns N' Roses, have contracts signed BY Guns N' Roses. They're NOT Guns N' Roses.

They can co-write music, they would get their writing credits in the CD with sparkles all over it but they're still hired hands under contract to work for Guns N' Roses. Keep trying or "are you retarded?" :)

Didn't realise how dumb Frank is until now. I just lost all respect for him. What a fuck up.

:sleeper:

What are you talking about ?

Usually, when they play Paradise City, during the outro, all guitarists get to have a solo.

In this video, Fortus does his own, then DJ begins playing and in the middle of DJ's solo Axl loses patience...

Hardly Frank's mistake or whatever...