Curious? Where are all those people that said Paterno SHOULDN'T have been fired?

SunnyDRE

It turns out Paterno knowingly protected a child rapist, and also allowed him to coach on his football team. Paterno knew about Sandusky in 1998. He allowed him to keep coaching. Then. In 2001 when Sandusky was witnessed raping a child, Paterno reported it to a superior and pleaded that it not be turned over to authorities.

Joe Paterno had every chance to be a hero and prevent the rape and torture of children. Instead he protected a game. Shame shame shame.

Edited by TeeJay410

i go to the school and said from day one - during the riots and during a time when you'd get a punch in the face from drunk students for saying anything negative about paterno - that he was just as responsible as the other guys, and that you'd have to be forcefully ignorant to assume he was clueless about what was happening.

it's a shame in the grand scheme of things that it all played out the way it did i guess because i know a lot of people do look up to him like a father figure, but at the end of the day it's a fucking sport. and i hate the way american culture in particular seems to value its athletic programs - the athletes at school can be gross looking 350lb dudes but if they're football players you can bet your ass they'll get into any bar, any party, and get any girl they want. there are a lot of football players in my major and last semester this one particularly popular dude was in a class of mine and the way this one girl fawned over him was disturbing. :lol: but like, to place such a glorification on the sport and ignore the victims really sickened me from day one - children were being sexually abused and people were trying to make it into something about sports, about the school...when it went far beyond that!

i never really bought into the glorification of athleticism so maybe that's why i was prepared to hold paterno responsible rather than try to defend him? honestly, to me he was just an old dude who had coached a team for a long time - i didn't know him personally and i wasn't ready to defend him on the grounds that he was a good coach. :shrugs:

It turns out Paterno knowingly protected a child rapist, and also allowed him to coach on his football team. Paterno knew about Sandusky in 1998. He allowed him to keep coaching. Then. In 2001 when Sandusky was witnessed raping a child, Paterno reported it to a superior and pleaded that it not be turned over to authorities.

Joe Paterno had every chance to be a hero and prevent the rape and torture of children. Instead he protected a game. Shame shame shame.

You do whatever it takes to win. Whatever the cost.

Weren't those players over the age of 18? That's legal age of maturity. Surely they should have had every right to punch Sandusky in the mouth. What pussies.

It was the kids from his charity he was molesting, not the Penn State players... he would bring them to the Penn State campus and commit his crimes...

Sunny, I was one of the people who said Paterno SHOULD have been fired. The people who didn't agree argued he was used as a scapegoat and did everything he was "required" to do. In his final interview he said he should have done more. No shit. None of it ever sat right with me, knowing he had the power to do more and made the deliberate choice not to. Dying only means he got out of this mess the easy way.

People will try to bash the credibility of the report, however the report was done by a former FBI head who the school hired themselves to do a probe. If anything you would expect a bias in the school's favor in that situation.

Fact of the matter he knowingly and purposefully not only ignored the rape and torture of children, but protected Sandusky from consequences thus leading to the rape and torture of more children. I don't care how many football games he won, I couldn't give a shit about his legacy. His legacy deserves to be tarnished for this.

A letter he wrote before he died was recently released and he emphatically defended the football program and said it was not a football scandal. With all due disrespect to the dead, bull shit. It's a football scandal when a defensive coordinator uses his position of power as a coach on a beloved football team to scout and rape children. It further becomes one when the head coach and school officials know about it and do nothing, allowing him to retire with an emeritus status, granting him access to continue the rape and torture of children. It's a football scandal when he blackmails children into being tortured and raped in exchange for financial help and gifts relating to penn state football.

Note the frequent use of "rape and torture". Sexual abuse, assault, indecent liberties are words that sanitize the story and removes the urgency of what happened to those children. They weren't victims of a forced sexual indiscretion, they were raped and tortured.

I went to Penn State and I think the Paterno statue needs to come down. To think I was there when this sick crap was going on disgusts me. Mike McQuery used to eat in the same cafeteria as me. If the football program is more important than the welfare of underpriveledged children - well that is just sick. Paterno was more concerned about the program than children who already had it rough. And President Spanier, what a joke this guy is. He was more concerned about busting under age drinking parties when I was there then protecting children getting raped in his showers it is sick.