Differences b/w the pre-UYI releases of KOHD & Civil War

hellobeatle

Can anyone give me a run-down of the differences in the mix and/or musicians between the KOHD on Days of Thunder OST vs. UYI2 and Civil War on Nobody's Child vs. UYI2?

KOHD on Days of Thunder sounds a bit more raw but it has even more effects and overdubs (just Axl saying random shit between some of the verses). It sounds more demo-ish in the guitars, I think. It has the same musicians as the UYI version. It's a tiny bit slower than the UYI album version I think as well. Civil War is exactly the same as the UYI version both in mix and musicians.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Can anyone give me a run-down of the differences in the mix and/or musicians between the KOHD on Days of Thunder OST vs. UYI2 and Civil War on Nobody's Child vs. UYI2?

Civil War is exactly the same as the UYI version both in mix and musicians.

I'm pretty sure the mix on Civil War is slightly different than the UYI version. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I think it's a bit more raw.

Civil War is exactly the same as the UYI version both in mix and musicians.

I'm pretty sure the mix on Civil War is slightly different than the UYI version. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I think it's a bit more raw.

I think that Duff's vocals are slightly higher in the mix.

KOHD on Days of Thunder sounds a bit more raw but it has even more effects and overdubs (just Axl saying random shit between some of the verses). It sounds more demo-ish in the guitars, I think. It has the same musicians as the UYI version. It's a tiny bit slower than the UYI album version I think as well. Civil War is exactly the same as the UYI version both in mix and musicians.

Thanks for posting that! I forgot about the blurbs "It wasn't their fault!"

I bought the days of thunder cassette just for that song. I was so stoked to hear it. Bought it right before a vacation to florida and litened to it about 250 times in a week.

Thanks for the clip - for the exception of that annoying crackle, I really like that mix.

How sure are you that it's Matt on drums? I didn't really compare the drumming in the two versions. But, look at the timeline:

April 7, 1990 - last performance with Steven Adler

June 1990 - release of Days Of Thunder

July 1990 - Adler formally removed from the band.

I also know that they tried out a lot of drummers after sacking Adler. I'm not denying it's Sorum, but how the hell did they find a drummer, record the track and deliver it to the Day of Thunder crew while the movie was still in post-production? I'm not sure of the production dates for Days of Thunder but I would imagine the song would have been supplied by May 1990.

Thanks for the clip - for the exception of that annoying crackle, I really like that mix.

How sure are you that it's Matt on drums? I didn't really compare the drumming in the two versions. But, look at the timeline:

I also know that they tried out a lot of drummers after sacking Adler. I'm not denying it's Sorum, but how the hell did they find a drummer, record the track and deliver it to the Day of Thunder crew while the movie was still in post-production? I'm not sure of the production dates for Days of Thunder but I would imagine the song would have been supplied by May 1990.

That timeline is pure proof Steven was getting fucked.

Steven was sort of floating around in this period...By June no one in the band was speaking to him. This was by the time the "90 takes" of Civil War had occurred. He'd already been fired earlier in 1990, and GN'R tried out Adam Maples and Martin Chambrs, then talked with Steven and he was rehired under the conditions of "no drugs". Around this time, Civil War was recorded. They set up an agreement with him in March (I think it was called the "March 23rd Agreement"), which he signed, wherein he'd be fined a certain amount of money anytime he came to a rehearsal or recording intoxicated, and that if he came around a certain number of times, he'd be fired permanently. Apparently a notary or something wasn't present at this meeting, which was the basis for his lawsuit against the band.

What probably happened is that while Steven was nominally in the band, Slash and Duff searched for and found his replacement. Sort of like the Brian Jones situation--Mick and Keith searched for and hired Brian's replacement while Brian was still in the band because Brian could no longer function and would hamper their touring and recording plans. Same sort of situation.

Also, Days of Thunder came out June 27th. Steven was officially fired July 11th. But I'd imagine that while Steven was "officially" a member until 7/11/1990, he wasn't ACTUALLY a member since the Civil War sessions that Spring. Sort of like with Izzy. Izzy quit just after the band's shows in August 1991, but he didn't "officially" quit the band until November 7th 1991. Similarly, Slash was pretty much out of GN'R in 1995 for all intents and purposes (outside of a few short rehearsals/jam sessions in 1995 and 1996) but wasn't officially "out" until 10/31/1996.

Edited by Indigo Miser