New GNR song direction

Guest GHS

Consider -- hypothetically -- that GNR will release a new album with this current formation, and that Ashba will actually make a songwritting partnership with Axl, and that Bumblefoot also will contribute to it. Well, I don't know their work. So my question is: will GNR change its musical direction a little, distancing itself from what Axl has done with Buckethead, Josh Freese, and Finck (I mean the "industrial" influence)? Can you imagine how the music will sound? There's another problem: Ashba seems to be excited to do NEW music with Axl. Considering that Axl has many songs already recorded, do you think he will re-record the tunes with his new guitarists, or will he let them aside, investing only in the new songs?

I know we can't know how things will be, but what I want is that the people who knows Bumblefoot and Ashba's previous work hypothesize a little.

How different will GNR sound from the CD era? Has the CD era already passed? Do you expect different songs, with different musical directions?

I would hope that the next album is Bucket/Finck stuff, and that it's been untouched. But who knows what Axl wants to do. If the next album is completely new material written with Ashba and BBF, then so be it. Really, I just want to hear new music with Axl's voice on it.

In terms of how a BBF/Ashba/Axl writing partnership would sound, I have no clue.

I'm more interested in the lyrical and thematic direction the next album takes. Chinese was the album of betrayals; does the next album carry on with that or take a new direction? Instrumentally the band's pretty much capable of doing anything. And Axl is still the prime writer on most songs; I don't expect any new songs he writes with DJ to be generic radio rock, as that's the exact sort of thing Axl has despised Slash and the other ex-bandmates for sticking with. I'd hope the next album would have a few of the huge epics, a few more aggressive industrial-edged rock ones, and a few more experimental surprises. Mix it up.

I would hope that the next album is Bucket/Finck stuff, and that it's been untouched. But who knows what Axl wants to do. If the next album is completely new material written with Ashba and BBF, then so be it. Really, I just want to hear new music with Axl's voice on it.

In terms of how a BBF/Ashba/Axl writing partnership would sound, I have no clue.

what this guys said, yeah I would prefer to have old stuff before the new stuff with Ashba or whatever

btw guys I'm pretty sure the material recorded between the mid 90s and say 2004 is a lot more than just "industrial stuff"

Edited by amacfantasy

I think that the new album will be partly entirely new songs by this lineup, and partly leftover CD songs featuring both current members & Buckethead, Robin & Brain. That would be the best solution for a new album, both for those wanting to hear the CD leftovers, and for those wanting to hear totally new music by this lineup.

great another patchwork album. CD suffers from this already. Just do an EP of whats left and write some new shit with nothing but the current members.

i actually cut CD into two albums. Plays much better

OMG

Riad

Scraped

Shacklers

Sorry

ITW

Chinese Democracy

Silkworms

Better

Street

TWAT

Catcher

IRS

Maddy

Prostitute

This I Love

Not the exact track listing but it seems like other than TIL and ITW the songs group nicely into two sets of songs. JMO

Edited by tange

The Killers meets Sixx Am?

Fortus is kind of like psychedelic Furs or VU garage band.

Gothic glam rock with full orchestra.

Fortus and Ferrer were in Love Spit Love, and they've both been part of Psychedelic Furs when the Butlers put it back together, but I'm surprised "How Soon Is Now" or "Am I Wrong" never made its way into a GNR show when Axl went on break. Just tried to think of what Axl would sound like singing "Ghost In You", and his "Down on the Farm" voice popped in my head.

Consider -- hypothetically -- that GNR will release a new album with this current formation, and that Ashba will actually make a songwritting partnership with Axl, and that Bumblefoot also will contribute to it. Well, I don't know their work. So my question is: will GNR change its musical direction a little, distancing itself from what Axl has done with Buckethead, Josh Freese, and Finck (I mean the "industrial" influence)? Can you imagine how the music will sound? There's another problem: Ashba seems to be excited to do NEW music with Axl. Considering that Axl has many songs already recorded, do you think he will re-record the tunes with his new guitarists, or will he let them aside, investing only in the new songs?

I know we can't know how things will be, but what I want is that the people who knows Bumblefoot and Ashba's previous work hypothesize a little.

How different will GNR sound from the CD era? Has the CD era already passed? Do you expect different songs, with different musical directions?

It wouldn't just be Ashba writing songs, and I think he would take on more of a co-producing role. I think Axl wants this band to do most of the work. It's poss. Robin and Paul will be a part of it as much as Duff or Izzy could be,now that Axl's more or less thawed things with them. I think on the vault stuff, Bucket's parts will be re-recorded, but would get credit for any song he took part in writing.

But I also think Axl's going to be writing the songs the way he used to, where the band comes up with the music and he comes up with the words, as well as retouching ChiDem era stuff. I don't think he's going to use all of it, because it would be easier to dole out a few songs and have the band rework it. It was hard enough for him to put out 14 songs, but why not have Tommy or Ron sing a song or two on the new one, and Axl does backing vocals on them?

I'd like to see the spirit of AFD back in the new songs, and when it comes to multilayering his voice, he only did it on a couple of songs. I think it made Catcher sound kind of cluttered though. To me, great artists are one take artists. I know he did variations on songs and multilayering, but when you become a slave to technology and try to make it perfect on a computer, it's not what rock and roll's supposed to be about. Considering AFD prob. took 2 years from ideas and sketches to fully formed songs in a few months, if he trusts his band and relies on them out there on stage, he should do the same in the studio.

I think for the most part, it's going to sound like ChiDem, but he'll be bringing elements of Appetite and the Illusions back that he kind of pushed aside for 15 years.