Has music really gone anywhere in the 2000's?

Randy Lahey

Post-rock / instrumental stuff seems to be more popular now than the 90's, no? Not that I could really be sure of that, but from what I've heard from family/friends there weren't well known instrumental artists or bands for most of the 90's, whereas now there's bands like Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, even Buckethead is more well known now.

Sorry....I respectfully disagree.

All of that stuff stays the same (just different names).

From Madonna to Britney to Taylor.

When I was a teen Michael Jackson ruled the charts. Today, Justin Bieber does.

The music, celebs, POP culture stays constant. We just get older and move on.

Appetite changed my life. Was one of my top 3 highlights of 1988.

Lies got me through college.

Illusions were there for my college graduation, first three some, first real job, first home of my own, a marriage and child....

Chinese Democracy? Great album. My favorite album of the last decade. Where do I rank it in my highlights of 2008? Maybe somewhere like 50th?

Music is the soundtrack for your youth. But once you get older, typically music doesn't mean as much.

Oh and before the Bieber and swift insults come in. They were the two highest profit musicians the last year, both pulling in over 50 million dollars each. You may hate them, but the youth love them.

Sorr of like when we were kids and adults told us GnR and metallica and all those names weren't real music, they weren't artists like the bands were from their generation. Same thing now. Except we are the ones telling the youth that their music sucks and Justin and Taylor aren't talented like out bands were.

Edited by Groghan

You did not just put Michael Jackson and Madonna on the same level of Justin Bieber.

That should be automatic hearing rights taken away if theres any justice in the world.

Exactly, the difference is without MJ no JB and without Madonna, no Brittney. So they are not exactly the same, but different names. It's more that JB, Brittney etc, are copying/ doing what MJ and Madonna started/invented in the '80's, they brought a new kind of music, dance, shows. JB is not bringing something new, although very good in what he does. But you can't put them on the same level. I think they would agree on this as well.

The question 'has music really gone anywhere in the 2000's, is not really. It's indeed all the same, but with different names. And to be honest, a lot of big bands and/or artists nowadays, were already there in the '90's.

I don't know much about Metal, so maybe there's were the changes are at. Is it much different than the '90?

And a difference is that there are hardly successfull new hard rock bands.

Edited by MBRose

lots of good metal bands but yeah music has kind of plateaued since the 1990s

+1 metal keeps developing, it's better than ever now.

yeah metal is great in the 2000s much better than the 1990s IMO, every other genre of music just leveled out lol

You did not just put Michael Jackson and Madonna on the same level of Justin Bieber.

That should be automatic hearing rights taken away if theres any justice in the world.

Exactly, the difference is without MJ no JB and without Madonna, no Brittney. So they are not exactly the same, but different names. It's more that JB, Brittney etc, are copying/ doing what MJ and Madonna started/invented in the '80's, they brought a new kind of music, dance, shows. JB is not bringing something new, although very good in what he does. But you can't put them on the same level. I think they would agree on this as well.

The question 'has music really gone anywhere in the 2000's, is not really. It's indeed all the same, but with different names. And to be honest, a lot of big bands and/or artists nowadays, were already there in the '90's.

I don't know much about Metal, so maybe there's were the changes are at. Is it much different than the '90?

And a difference is that there are hardly successfull new hard rock bands.

So you think that Madonna and MJ created pop music?

And Drama, thank you for proving my point. Every generation's music is bashed by the prior generation. I think my son's music sucks and all sounds the same. My parents think my music was just a bunch of idiots screaming. My grandparents think my parents music was a bunch of longhaired hippies and drug addicts. And on and on.

And if Madonna and Bieber put out an album tomorrow, Bieber sells ten times as many copies.

Remember, we aren't taking about what we each think is quality. The point is that 10 million people want a Bieber album and only one million want a Madonna album.

And if Madonna and Bieber put out an album tomorrow, Bieber sells ten times as many copies.

Remember, we aren't taking about what we each think is quality. The point is that 10 million people want a Bieber album and only one million want a Madonna album.

That's because Bieber's demographics are teens and 20-somethings, while Madonna's are people in their 40's and 50's.

Whose fanbase is far more apt to spend money on music? No contest.

No ofcourse not.

But the whole importance of video's, big dance shows, making pop more music relevant (changed it), started mostly with them, added by Prince. Let's say they changed the pop culture. There is a reason those three are still loved and copied very often. You think, lady gaga would be there if not for Madonna? She even copied music and clothingstyle. Even tough she sells now more music than Madonna, she is highly influenced by her. And that probably is just an age thing. Bieber uses MJ's moves in video's, just like his teacher Usher. They are very influenced by MJ. I am sure if you would ask them yourself, they agree on this. Usher has done that by the way. To maintain fame for so many years is something to admire and shows how talented they were. I would never put Bieber on the same level as MJ. Not that he isn't good in what he is doing, cause he is very talented. But not the same as MJ.

Edited by MBRose

No ofcourse not.

But the whole importance of video's, big dance shows, making pop more music relevant (changed it), started mostly with them, added by Prince. Let's say they changed the pop culture. There is a reason those three are still loved and copied very often. You think, lady gaga would be there if not for Madonna? She even copied music and clothingstyle. Even tough she sells now more music than Madonna, she is highly influenced by her. And that probably is just an age thing. Bieber uses MJ's moves in video's, just like his teacher Usher. They are very influenced by MJ. I am sure if you would ask them yourself, they agree on this. Usher has done that by the way. To maintain fame for so many years is something to admire and shows how talented they were. I would never put Bieber on the same level as MJ. Not that he isn't good in what he is doing, cause he is very talented. But not the same as MJ.

The only thing "pop music" really means, is that it has mass appeal. It has nothing to do with style of music.

Madonna has something like 50 hit songs over close to 30 years. The only thing they have in common is working their way up in NYC band and being Italian-American. Gaga's the first one who's more like Madonna than Britney was, because Madonna & Gaga weren't kids when they became famous.

Usher's more like a mentor to Bieber, and Usher's mentor was Michael. I think they're making sure Justin didn't miss out on doing teenage shit, but what he's doing is a pretty heavy workload for any kid to go through. Kurt Cobain couldn't handle it and Axl's lost his shit from time to time. But then again, the haters wouldn't go to a Bieber show.

But I think Justin is going to be following that other Justin as far as career paths go. Expect movie roles and more SNL appearances. Once you're considered "funny" on SNL as a host, then the movie roles start coming. Hopefully Selena Gomez doesn't go off the deep end the way Britney did. I do think Bieber's experience with the baby daddy thing scared him away from groupie love.

What Michael did at the time was being able to keep his core audience from the R&B world going with him. He had fans of all ages, but the ones that bought "Off The Wall" grew up with him, and the songs got people up dancing. "Thriller" wasn't as much of a dance album, but "Billie Jean" still gets people on dance floors. And it really is a good example of early 80s music when you break it down. The slow stuff is what was on Top 40 radio from 79-81. If it had been made now, there would've been rap & country songs on it, "The Girl Is Mine" prob could've used a slide guitar and fiddle on it.