The 2002 lineup looked/felt the most like a band

Vincent Vega

IMO, the 2002 lineup looked and felt like the most like a band. Not only that, but some members of that lineup were friends even outside of Guns, like Bucket and Brain, for example. And Richard, Dizzy and Tommy. It just seemed more like an actual band rather than a touring lineup somehow, and even in terms of image, all the players fit together better.

In 2002, you Axl (rocker), Bucket (weird eccentrically dressed guy), Robin (weird eccentrically dressed guy), Richard (rocker), Tommy (Punk), Dizzy (Rocker), Chris (weird eccentric techno guy). There was a good balance of classic and new styles. Everyone in that lineup stood out as an individual for their own particular reason, yet the whole picture was intriguing and fascinating. You wanted to get to know at least some of these guys more. And you felt perhaps the potential they had together.

Now you have Axl, Bumble (an average looking guy with no real presence at all, whose playing is like a lesser version of Buckethead), Asha (who looks and feels right for a replacement for Slash, but not as a member of New GN'R), Richard, Tommy, Frank (who looks totally out of place), Dizzy, and Chris (who feels out of place nowadays as the music doesn't seem to be as synth oriented or require as much of him as the 2001-2002 lineup did). Who really wants to learn more about BBF? He's so ordinary. And Ashba talks too much to the point that he seems arrogant, which turns people off, and Frank is a literal nobody and is treated like such in the band. Whereas Brain at least was a respected session drummer.

I just can't see Ron and Ashba hanging out, or writing together.Their styles are polar opposites. Bucket and Finck at least were similar in that they were both not traditional, avant garde players in different ways.

It just feels like the band since Bucket left has been a lesser version. Ashba is great and could probably write with Bucket, because Bucket can play any style pretty much, but it's like ever since Bumblefoot joined, the band just hasn't seemed to be as much of a cohesive band and he just feels like a poor man's Buckethead. He doesn't have anywhere near the mystique or presence that Bucket had; there's nothing odd or mysterious about him. He just feels like an average guy playing lead guitar...When it comes to the lead guitarist, they're supposed to have a presence, a persona, to be larger than life really.

I just feel the 2001-2002 lineups were the definitive lineups and since Bumble joined it feels like "New Guns Lite". Anyone else agree?

Edited by Indigo Miser

I do agree that the 2002 line up was much superior, however alot of people say this band is 'tighter'. I'm not even sure they know what that even means. Just because they look like rockers and interact a bit on stage does not make them a tighter band. Give me Bucket, Robin and Brain anyday of the fucken week.

Have to disagree with you.

2002 lineup with Bucket & Finck didn't fit in to what GN'R is ment to be and represent.

Although, Bucket is an amazing musician, he didn't fit into the set up for me.

He put his own spin on the old songs but I don't think it worked.

The current lineup on the other hand is tight. I also think that DJ is a great asset to the band. He comes from a rock n' roll background and his sound fits in.

Would love to hear some tracks that he, Axl, Fortus and Dizzy could come up with.

The current lineup on the other hand is tight.

Could you please elaborate or provide citation(s) that would further back up your claim that this band is "tight"? I happen to know that Ron can't stand DJ. In a nutshell, Axl rounds these guys up every few years to tour. Outisde of that, there is very little interaction between these 'band'mates.

Please elaborate on your belief that this band is "tight" or provide said citation(s). Thanks.

IMO, the 2002 lineup looked and felt like the most like a band. Not only that, but some members of that lineup were friends even outside of Guns, like Bucket and Brain, for example. And Richard, Dizzy and Tommy. It just seemed more like an actual band rather than a touring lineup somehow, and even in terms of image, all the players fit together better.

In 2002, you Axl (rocker), Bucket (weird eccentrically dressed guy), Robin (weird eccentrically dressed guy), Richard (rocker), Tommy (Punk), Dizzy (Rocker), Chris (weird eccentric techno guy). There was a good balance of classic and new styles. Everyone in that lineup stood out as an individual for their own particular reason, yet the whole picture was intriguing and fascinating. You wanted to get to know at least some of these guys more. And you felt perhaps the potential they had together.

Now you have Axl, Bumble (an average looking guy with no real presence at all, whose playing is like a lesser version of Buckethead), Asha (who looks and feels right for a replacement for Slash, but not as a member of New GN'R), Richard, Tommy, Frank (who looks totally out of place), Dizzy, and Chris (who feels out of place nowadays as the music doesn't seem to be as synth oriented or require as much of him as the 2001-2002 lineup did). Who really wants to learn more about BBF? He's so ordinary. And Ashba talks too much to the point that he seems arrogant, which turns people off, and Frank is a literal nobody and is treated like such in the band. Whereas Brain at least was a respected session drummer.

I just can't see Ron and Ashba hanging out, or writing together.Their styles are polar opposites. Bucket and Finck at least were similar in that they were both not traditional, avant garde players in different ways.

It just feels like the band since Bucket left has been a lesser version. Ashba is great and could probably write with Bucket, because Bucket can play any style pretty much, but it's like ever since Bumblefoot joined, the band just hasn't seemed to be as much of a cohesive band and he just feels like a poor man's Buckethead. He doesn't have anywhere near the mystique or presence that Bucket had; there's nothing odd or mysterious about him. He just feels like an average guy playing lead guitar...When it comes to the lead guitarist, they're supposed to have a presence, a persona, to be larger than life really.

I just feel the 2001-2002 lineups were the definitive lineups and since Bumble joined it feels like "New Guns Lite". Anyone else agree?

Are you kidding? Frank looks out of place? A big badass hard hitting drummer in a hard rock band looks out of place?

Wow do you have issues with judgement, let alone sitting around fantasizing how grown men spend their personal personal time together. Any pillows and feathers involved in your gnr fantasies dude?

Although I certainly enjoy the '02 lineup, particularly more than the current lineup, I hafta say that even the '02 lineup had a major problem--they were still parasitic upon the old band.

That said, BH could hold his own in a way that BBF and DJ cant. He's the only person I know of who could fill the Slash void so well. If he were in the band, I think interest in the band would increase. Certainly the live shows would be WAY better on account of BH's solos, period.

I think it's the opposite. 2002 had the most technically skilled musicians but did not look like a band. More like a bunch of pros Axl got to play with him. 2006 and this line-up DID feel like a band. 2006 felt like they were in perfect harmony, like they were the tightest band. This line-up seems like they love doing what they do and get a long better than any other line-up. They have fun now.

So wearing a bucket on your head constitutes stage presence and mystique? What bs.

Ron is anything but an ordinary guitarist. He is spoken of very highly by some of the worlds most respected virtuosos, such as Joe Satriani and Guthrie Govan. And unlike Buckethead, he actually writes proper songs, not just albums of noodling and wanking. Ron's solo work is amazing and Guns are very lucky to have him. He is also responsible for some of the best guitar work on Chinese, such as the tapping at the end of Shacklers, the beautiful outro solo on Catcher and the fretless licks on the verses of Chinese. I guarentee if he sticks around, he will have a huge presence on the next Guns record.

Bucketheads solo work doesn't hold a candle to stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOiXt2QCwM

Edited by Towelie

So wearing a bucket on your head constitutes stage presence and mystique? What bs.

Ron is anything but an ordinary guitarist. He is spoken of very highly by some of the worlds most respected virtuosos, such as Joe Satriani and Guthrie Govan. And unlike Buckethead, he actually writes proper songs, not just albums of noodling and wanking. Ron's solo work is amazing and Guns are very lucky to have him. He is also responsible for some of the best guitar work on Chinese, such as the tapping at the end of Shacklers, the beautiful outro solo on Catcher and the fretless licks on the verses of Chinese. I guarentee if he sticks around, he will have a huge presence on the next Guns record.

Bucketheads solo work doesn't hold a candle to stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOiXt2QCwM

Buckethead >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bumblefoot.

Actually if you check twitter, facebook, instagram etc they allways hang out toghether, dizzy, fortus n ron recorded a song with tommy for his album, then you have the compulsions with frank n richard, bumble recorded the pink panther with ALL the guys besides Axl. Bumble n frank recorded for Poc album. They all went to support Poc and bumble in the album release.

You can see them having fun, going out and having dinner almos everyday. I do believe the new management helped a lot. If you look at kat pics (not the official ones) you can seem them going out etc etc

Dont forget the "bucket" thread not so long ago... almost everyone hated each other, bucket hated robin, tommy hated bucket, there were internal groups fighting... i dont see that now...

Could you please elaborate or provide citation(s) that would further back up your claim that this band is "tight"? I happen to know that Ron can't stand DJ. In a nutshell, Axl rounds these guys up every few years to tour. Outisde of that, there is very little interaction between these 'band'mates.

Please elaborate on your belief that this band is "tight" or provide said citation(s). Thanks.

When I say the band is "tight" I mean as in musically.

They work well as a band. The guitarists compliment each other beautifully and the rhythm section is spot on.

I'm not trying to say they are tight as in best friends.

I think it's the opposite. 2002 had the most technically skilled musicians but did not look like a band. More like a bunch of pros Axl got to play with him. 2006 and this line-up DID feel like a band. 2006 felt like they were in perfect harmony, like they were the tightest band. This line-up seems like they love doing what they do and get a long better than any other line-up. They have fun now.

I agree with this post.

The 2002 lineup was certainly compelling due to the eclectic mix of musicians in it, and it had tremendous technical proficiency, did a great job on the songs, etc.

But I'm not sure how it looked like a band. Axl was wearing braids, jerseys and track pants; Robin was rocking a skullet and in full on goth attire; Richard and Tommy looked like punk rockers; Brain wore basketball shorts and bucket hats/backwards baseball caps while playing; and Bucket was Bucket

Combine that with the rumors of infighting and various cliques within the band, jealousy, general lack of interaction between band members on stage (besides Axl and each of the guys individually), and I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that they looked/felt more like a band.

Just because you would rather hear music from the people in that lineup than the current one doesn't change any of that

Can you please provide citation(s) that say that Ron doesn't like DJ? If you can't, I would like to know if you are just misinformed, or intentionally lying to the fanbase (again).